StudioLive AR8, AR12 and AR16 Hybrid Mixers
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am new to digital recording and was hoping to have bought the most plug and play system I could. I set the AR8c up for our church "Distance" recording. Everything works great besides a desire for more headroom on the SD recording. The stereo file was fine though, once processed through the production tool. We wanted to extend the recording to multi tracks so we loaded the Universal Control, Studio One 4, and Capture 3. The AR8c was recognized by the computer and all drivers responded up to date. Capture recognized the AR8c, but when I tried to open a session, I got the error message: "Capture can not create new sessions if audio device is stereo!". The steps in the Presonus help articles did not help. I am sure that there is something simple that I am missing, but I have repeated the install on a separate computer and have the same results. Studio One 4 opens and I can record stereo linked file only, comes out pretty much just like the SD card.
Any Help?
by SwitchBack on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:30 am
Hi and welcome :)

After installing UC the first thing to check is if you can send audio from the computer to the mixer. You may have to change the computer’s default audio device to the AR8c for this.

After installing Capture you want to make sure that it has the AR8c selected as its audio interface. (Capture settings). The “Audio device is stereo” message is probably because Capture has the computer’s built-in audio interface selected.

Now it should be possible to record multi-track. Note that you can record channels 1, 2, 3/4, 5/6 and main out. You cannot record 7/8 (the ‘Super Channel’).

In Studio One you also have to select the AR8c audio interface. Recording (limitations) is the same as with Capture.

Hope this helps :)
by johncooper17 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:00 am
I tried your suggestions, thank you for the quick response.
Still no luck.
The output from computer to AR8c worked great yesterday, Sounded awesome through the cntl rm monitors.

I attached the screenshots.

Attachments
Untitled3.pdf
(68.77 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Untitled2.pdf
(67.88 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Untitled1.pdf
(47.86 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
by SwitchBack on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:50 am
That doesn’t look good, especially the screen where the AR8c shows up as a 2x2 channel device. That should be 8x4.

I’m guessing now (no PC user) but short of removing all PreSonus software and drivers and start anew I’d say check your PC hardware (is the mixer on at least a usb2 port, not sharing the hub with usb1/slow devices) and the usb cable (the cable shipped with the mixer can be a dud).

And should the problem be PC related I hope the PC users on the forum can chime in.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1