StudioLive AR8, AR12 and AR16 Hybrid Mixers
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Just upgraded to Ableton Ver 10, and am recording my music via Presonus StudioLive AR 8. Everything looks ok, except when I hook up my instrument to Channel 7/8 input, Ableton seems to record not only that instrument through ST7/8, but all other instruments. For example, I have two guitars, a electronic drum set and a keyboard hooked up to the AR. When the band plays a song, Channel 7/8 picks up all the instruments. All the other inputs seem to work ok (so Channel 1 picks up only the drums, Channel 2 only the guitar etc). I've tried both pressing and depressing the USB/SD button and it did not make a change. Has anyone had this issue before?
by bulentagar on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:46 am
I've asked the same question on the Ableton forum and there was one user that responded but they also could not figure out what the issue may be. Bump?
by SwitchBack on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm
The answer is simple: The AR8’s sends 7 and 8 are not channel 7/8 but they are the main output. Get out your user’s manual and you’ll see that usb sends 7/8 come from the main output. Or check out section 2.4.1 in the software reference manual.
by bulentagar on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:16 pm
Hi SwitchBack, thanks for responding. I am new to this so it did not register the first time I read the manual, but now it is clear to me after I saw your message. So in essence, if I have one guitar, one microphone, one electric drum set and one electronic keyboard, I would be using Chs 1, 2, 3/4 and 5/6, and an additional instrument could be plugged into ST7/8 with no issues. However, if I decide to use the USB connection to connect it to Ableton, then the ST7/8 becomes the main output and Ableton would pick up all the instruments in ST7/8 because of this reason, right?

PS: Never mind what I wrote above, even the AR's description says "Mixer with 2 Mono Channels, 2 Stereo Channels" so that pretty much tells me that ST7/8 is not intended to be input channels like the other ones.

Thanks for reading.
by SwitchBack on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:37 pm
Yes, you have two mono, two stereo and main out for usb recording. You could ‘cheat’ a little by only sending 7/8 to main (for recording) and use MON as your mix output. It’s only mono but will do the trick if it’s important to record 7/8 as a separate instrument ;)
by bulentagar on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:39 pm
Perfect, thank you!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1