StudioLive AR8, AR12 and AR16 Hybrid Mixers
1 post
Page 1 of 1
I have one and like the AR12 USB a lot and can see it being a great unit for small bands and VO artists and similar people. The immediacy of the mixer is really great, having all that stuff like EQ and faders right there at your fingertips.

The only downside I experienced is how the interface or driver appears to stress subjective sub-par systems, and I'll explain that below.

I have a relatively slow laptop that I sometimes mix on. A two core 2ghz machine that I don't have any unreasonable expectations about. I can mix on it with reasonably high track counts as long as I push the audio device buffers up and use an external audio drive for the tracks, no biggie. However, when using it with the AR12 it performs much worse at 4096/4096 (Extra Safe/Block Size) than using ASIO4ALL at 2048 with Win audio. The CPU meter in S1 regualrly clips and audio stutters and plugins are apparently getting massive underuns, peaking like crazy in the performance monitor, etc, etc, while overall system cpu use is really low.

I suspect that it's partly to do with it being "busier"data wise on the USB bus and in Studio One, transmitting metering and similar things I guess, no idea. I replaced it with my 44VSL on the same USB port and the playback issues went away.

I know, TLDR. :) Only saying that it appears to require a stronger computer system in practical use than do the other USB devices, and systems on that fence like my cheap laptop may not perform well with it, even at max buffers.

Great little mixer / audio device though. :+1

1 post
Page 1 of 1