StudioLive AR8, AR12 and AR16 Hybrid Mixers
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello There,
Couple of weeks ago my friend called me asking if he can have an emergency use of my mini studio to record voiceovers to some well known animated series, although I did agree in the end there was no need for it. Lucky me I didn't really wanted anyone from his circles to see my amateurish equipment. But realised that there might be an opportunity round the corner. I don't want spend the fortune but sneaking at his kit before I've noticed some Presonus equipment, hence I'm here.
My question is: Is it possible to record voiceovers on the cheap with the Hollywood quality?
I have pretty insulated studio for my podcasting.
So I was thinking about getting something like a iTwo Studio which comes already with a mic, headphones and a/d interface or even getting StudioLive AR8 if I would needed more inputs.
Would this do? Or would I need anything extra?
Many thanks,
Peter
by SwitchBack on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 pm
Goal will be a bone dry track. So you need a recording booth with no acoustics at all, a good mic with a pop screen, and comfortable closed phones with good isolation.

For an interface you need one that does the bit depth and rate required (at least 24/96 nowadays) and gives you independent phones and control room outputs.

The phones mix should have everything (cue track, EQ, effects) to make the artist happy, without any noticeable latency.

With that in mind the iTwo lacks an independent control room output. The AR8 does have it and is a great fun little mixer anyway. So between those two I'd go with the AR8. Or go for an interface with at least two independent stereo outputs.
by peterbednarczyk on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:35 am
Ok, my booth is dead silent which is a good start. Would I need anything like sound exciter to make the voice sound better or they would do it in post production.
Thanks,
Peter
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:03 pm
I'd say yes and no. The studio will require a track with zero effects but the artist and the control room probably want some ambience to get in the right mood or be able to judge the quality of the take. The AR provides a small selection of ambience effects. They may be sufficient as it doesn't go into the recording. You can also insert effects from the computer if you want to get fancy.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1