Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Here's a link to the Travelpro Maxlite 26" Rollaboard Suitcase - a perfect fit for the CS18Ai. The Maxlite 26' Rollaboard sits upright, has two roller wheels on the bottom rear, and an extending handle on top. Its unpadded interior is equipped with a pair of adjustable nylon straps that hold the CS18Ai snug against the back frame of the suitcase for transport. The front of the suitcase has an external full-length zippered pocket, roomy enough for a dozen XLR cables. It's available in black or navy blue, which happens to match the color tones of the CS18Ai.

https://www.travelpro.com/maxlite-5-26- ... rollaboard
by wahlerstudios on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:37 pm
Nice suitcase, but do you always have a table at hand to put your CS18AI on? I have a lot of situations every year, where there is no table available or a table can not be used. Then I am always happy about my custom-built flightcase. One part can be the "table" or platform, while the other can be the stand. Of course the flightcase has castors (4) and handles (6). The case offers the CS18AI a perfect protection and - because it has no doghouse - it is light and easy to move.

:D

Attachments
DSCN9617_800.jpg
by lishlash on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 am
Cut the cord! You can make your CS18Ai completely wireless with this $140 200W AC inverter brick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0743 ... UTF8&psc=1

The CS18Ai is rated at 70W and will run for four hours while draining this inverter's 42Ah rechargeable battery down to half. The inverter is thin enough to fit snugly in the gap between the top of the CS18Ai and the bottom of the Maxlite 26" Rollaboard Suitcase. Get a flush right-angle 3-prong AC cord and you can tuck away the inverter while running the CS18Ai inside its suitcase!

Connect a wifi router to an RM mixer, plug the Presonus USB wifi adapter into the CS18Ai, and you can control the RM mixer wirelessly with the CS18Ai. Neither talkback nor solo bus i/o will work on the CS18Ai, but there are wireless mic and in-ear monitor workarounds for that:

Plug a wireless mic receiver into an RM mic input, and select it as the Talkback source mic. Select which Mix buses you want to talkback over, and activate the Custom button in the Talkback section. The wireless mic will then be routed to the Talkback buses whenever you activate the Talk button.

Feed the headphone Cue output from the RM mixer to an IEM, and you can use the solo buttons on the CS18Ai to control the Cue output as a remote solo bus. After you're done with sound check, you can route any of the RM MIx buses to the IEM for use by the performers.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:20 am
Why not... ;-) If you want to make things easy, a Power Inverter might be the icing on the cake. I just don't know if we can get inverters like this here in Europe/Germany for 240 Volts.

I have been using the dongle option of the CS18AI several times this year. It really makes things easier and reduces time for setup. There is only one cable for electricity, which can be plugged in anywhere. It makes sense to use a wireless microphone for talkback, but I personally don't need and use headphones. What I always did was to use the AVB switch at FOH, because this allowed me to visually control the signals flowing in the network. I could see immediately, if there was a problem and where it was located. The router was also placed at FOH, which never caused any problems.

I will miss the flexibility (the dongle option) of the CS/RM set, when I change to Series III products now. On the other hand I will not need the AVB switch any longer for most of the concerts, so I will be back to just two cables (electricity, network) at FOH. The Series III mixer will allow me to use a computer at FOH again (UC Surface, recording), but recording can also be done via SD-card, so there are several options. It is also good to see two mixers in the setup again, like I had it when I used SL 2442AI and RM32AI. There will be no need any longer to bring second rack mixer just for the case something goes wrong...

Attachments
DSCN9723_800.jpg
Last edited by wahlerstudios on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:21 am
By the way... - this is the basic set I use for PA and monitoring: 32 inputs, 16 auxes, 2x4 amplifiers with patchbay, 2 wireless microphones, router. In this setup the CCS18AI was connected via WiFi dongle.

Attachments
DSCN9726_800.jpg
by lishlash on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:08 pm
Nice setup, just a bit old school with the power amps. Mine is ultra-compact and fits in a 4-1/2U rolling rack, with dual IEM's up front and a wireless mic receiver and wifi router in the back:

The whole point for me is how wireless and portable the RML16Ai system is, not to mention the firesale prices since it got orphaned so soon. AVB is an albatross I'm happy to avoid, and that plus the retail price is why I have no interest in "upgrading" to the Series III. I'd actually prefer an Allen & Heath or Soundcraft, but they have nothing like the CS18Ai for their rack mount mixers.

Sorry to hear you're moving on, you've put a lot of work into these forums and your dedication is sincerely appreciated.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm
That's a really compact rack with a good concept and a perfect realization. I hope you will enjoy your setup for a long time!

My goal was not compactness, but utmost flexibility, which made me buy the RM16AI as additional mixer. I have used the second rack mixer and the third 2x4 amplifier as set for workshops, rehearsals and small events, while the combo RM32/CS18 was my standard set for concerts. Every now and then both sets were "merged" and I even own a fourth and a fifth 2x4 amplifier, which are added if needed (sidefills, subwoofers, nearfield monitors, delay lines). In the time when cascading was still (reliably) possible, the RM16 was used at FOH and connected to a computer (UC Surface, Smaart, Capture, Studio One). But I never needed more than 32 inputs on stage, that's why the 32 channel limit of the Series III is ok for me.

My new set will be a SL16 console and a 32R rack mixer, in concerts used as stagebox. The 32R will be used as (remote controlled) mixer for all other jobs. For me one the main reasons to go the Series III road was a further reduction of rack space and weight. I will transport, carry and use less equipment, but have plenty more options. The AVB switch will only be used for special setups, which also means one item less to carry and to connect... ;-)

Attachments
DSCN9878_800.jpg
by gbam55 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:39 pm
Really sad to hear you are moving on. The series III does not work for me. It adds nothing and removes flexibility and functionality and cascading.

As long as i stay on FW 9244 and my current version of Uc surface my current configuration is rather stable and i start to know it’s weeknesses and bugs so I work around them. Add the cd18 and for what I paid I cannot find better or even equivalent anywhere else. So for now I stay.

I have 2 rm32s now and am just about to test Dante. Outstanding flexibility and growth potential as long as the apps stay stable.

Good luck with the sIII & let us rm users know how you find that platform.

Cheers

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, 16.0.2 (x2), Studiolive mobile, Mac mini i7 Quad core, 16GB, MacBook Pro 2012 (1T Ssd & with all the Ports you need) Studio One Professionnal. Mélodine editor, Fader Port, StudioLive RM32-AI, CS18-ai, KRK VTX4 monitors and KRK 10s.
KRK 10 3 monitors. Yamaha O1v, KRK rokit 10 3 monitors. RCF 725-II PA and RCF 325 stage monitors. Turbosound TQ425/455 DP PA.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1