Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Since the new faderport 16 is coming out I wanted to know if us cs18 users are forgotten about. Are we getting any new updates? Can we use the cs18 with other daws? I'm primarily a Studio One user with the cs18. I love what it currently does but wanted to now if more functionally is coming down the road.
by sharodjames on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:40 am
O...K.... That tells me a lot!
by johnbliss on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:15 pm
many of us cs18 users are wondering the same thing. after a significant investment in presonus hardware, we expect continued support and improvments......

windows 10 64 bit i7 32 gig RAM
ssd samsung c drive
raid 2 data drive 4 TB
presonus studiolive 16
studio one 4
notion
by Karyn on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:14 am
It's a controller that does no processing of its own and all the buttons work.

What sort of update are you hoping for?

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:14 pm
"What sort of update are you hoping for?"

Here is a list of bug fixes, improvements and new features for CS18AI and RM/RML mixers, which have been discussed in a period of two years. Some fixes were already announced for an update in April 2017.

CS18AI
* Select Sync functionality with UC Surface
* Go remote functionality for Smaart Wizard
* Smaart RTA and Spectrograph on network clients (with computer connected via FireWire)
* HPF shown in the EQ graph on CS18AI
* DAW control (MCU/HUI)
* Ability to name mute groups and quick scenes
* Function to reorder DCA groups
* Display edited aux names in matrix
* Allow listening to cues (linked auxes) in stereo
* Make headphone amp louder
* Copy/paste function for aux mixes
* Bug: Unselecting FX mix button does not return display to "home"

Suggested was also an interface/switchbox in order to add FireWire functionality to the CS controllers.

RM/RML
* MIDI implementation

& quotes from UC release notes:
* Control and metering on UC Surface instance connected via Firewire may exhibit lag on some systems
* Copy, Delete, & Rename Local Scenes for Cascaded mixers not functioning as expected
* Fat Channel reset button does not reset the HPF (or LPF)
* FX issues with Cascaded RM/RML mixers
* FX Preset list does not update automatically when selecting FX Busses
* FX Bus Master is missing HPF control
* Restoring a Mixer Backup over Firewire is not possible.
* Auxiliary Firewire Input 52 driver label is incorrect

If I have forgotten/overseen anything, feel free to add to the list.
by sjc193 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 am
That's a big list! It deserves attention and I still believe it will get attention. . . I hope. . . I think. . .

I just really hope they fix the FireWire lag, I live on UC Surface on a FireWire computer for all of my gigs, because of that I HAVE to use UC 1.8.x for it to work. The problem is there have been so many great UI improvements to UC 2.x and I want to use them SO BAD but I can't! And that Sucks! Because if I try to use UC 2 it literally goes crazy after a certain point and the faders and knobs start flying around on their own, it's nutz! I really should try to set it up and take a video of it cause it's pretty bizarre! I just haven't had time and I can't risk messing with my solid setup right now while I have some big clients to do sound for in the next couple months. Yes my setup is solid. . . but I'm not using UC 2 and that just stinks that's all there is to it. . . they spent years putting that together and it doesn't work for me, what a shame :(

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by mwatzal on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:27 am
Hello Wahlerstudio
here an add on to your Bug-List....

CS18
The FX pre1 / pre2 / post Button show difference State as UC- Surface (wrong Label at the CS18 / System Menue - FX Routing)

The LED response of the Gate Attack Time is far away from the selected value.
(the LED reaction when open the Gate is very slow)

A change of a Faderposition within the first seconds after switching to another Layer ( Aux-Mix or FX-Mix) are not register on the RM-Mixer.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:31 pm
Hi Michael!

Thanks for the contribution. I just checked the 3 bugs.

The FX pre1 / pre2 / post Button show difference State as UC- Surface (wrong Label at the CS18 / System Menue - FX Routing)
Correct, "post" and "pre2" simply would need to change places in the display.

The LED response of the Gate Attack Time is far away from the selected value (the LED reaction when open the Gate is very slow)
Seems to be much better now with UC 2.5.2

A change of a Faderposition within the first seconds after switching to another Layer ( Aux-Mix or FX-Mix) are not registered on the RM-Mixer
It's about half a second on my system...

Grüße von Siegen nach Heidenrod.
(Greetings from ... to ...). ;-)

Hardy
by mwatzal on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm
Hello wahlerstudios

The LED response of the Gate Attack Time is far away from the selected value (the LED reaction when open the Gate is very slow)
It is not only on UC-Surface.... the LED Stripe of the CS18 show is very slow too.

PS: können uns gerne mal in Muttersprache austauschen :D

Grüße Michael
by johnbliss on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 pm
Karyn wroteIt's a controller that does no processing of its own and all the buttons work.

What sort of update are you hoping for?

where to begin? i use cs18 only as a DAW controller with st 1 3.5
ok as i see it the cs18 should be capable of displaying the mixer in the current config as seen on the cs18...... when i hit fx layer i would expect the on screen studio one mixer to reflect that by displaying just the fx channels. since the implementation has been chosen as first channel in from cs18 i would have thought this was a mandatory feature?

how about control of mixer scenes from the cs18? maybe the unused #8 mute group?

jb

windows 10 64 bit i7 32 gig RAM
ssd samsung c drive
raid 2 data drive 4 TB
presonus studiolive 16
studio one 4
notion
by krismaher on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 pm
Having the screen in studio one follow selections on the cs18 would be great for sure! I would also like to see the bypass all plug ins feature added like is available on the faderport8/16 but I fear that this is going to go down the path of now that the new faderports and series 3 are available the cs18 is going legacy - I get that it is a mixer for the RM series but this thing was fairly heavily billed as a control surface for studio one as well and tho I do like the feauters it does provide in studio one I also think had I known it would not be updated to at least the features now avail on the fp series I would have most likely passed on it but another lesson learned I imagine lol
by mwatzal on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 am
Hello,
I have open a support Ticket with this issue...

A change of a Faderposition within the first seconds after switching to another Layer ( Aux-Mix or FX-Mix) are not registered on the RM-Mixer

... here is the support response:
Upon conferring with colleagues it has been determined that the 1-2 seconds is within parameters of digital lag due to the communication route that the information must take to get from one point to another.

greetings
Michael
by ronron3 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:25 pm
That's a response that really sucks... they should have responded with a firmware update to solve this issue about 2 years ago .
I have the CS / RM combo and I'm done waiting for updates
This is the first and definitely the last presonus gear I'll ever buy
by wahlerstudios on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:40 pm
"1-2 seconds" does not really meet the point. It is true that that faders need "a moment" to become responsive, which has to do with that they are TOUCH-SENSITIVE FADERS. This means that the faders have to register the temperature of a finger (or whatever determines the "touch") to follow the move of the finger.

Try it yourself. Give the fader a short moment to recognize the finger, then move the fader. Do NOT grab the fader and move it at the same time. It does not need more than half a second...!

It doesn't take more than one second to change fader bank and move fader/s with a hearable result. Does it need to be faster? Checked it with CS18AI, RM32AI, Motu AVB switch, Mac mini (UC 1.8 via FireWire) and headphone amp on RM outputs.

FIRST TOUCH
THAN MOVE
!
by basmeijer on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:22 am
I disagree on this point (and on this moment on this point only with you!) ;) that the sensor functionality of the faders have anything to do with this. I think it goes wrong in the value change that needs to be processed. Because this always goes right with UC Surface I am pretty confident that this can be fixed within the CS and that there is some kind of communication/processing issue.

I agree that when your workflow speeds up that it is quite nagging to see that sometimes aux/mix changes are not being recorded after leaving the aux/mix to go to another aux/mix or the main mix quickly after level changes.

If it would be 1-2 seconds like the PreSonus support engineers told then the CS would definitely miss a green OK light that would need to be on prior to go to another mix. :mrgreen:

15 posts
Page 1 of 1