RM32ai firmware version SL 1.0.9244
CS18ai Firmware CS 1.0.9203
UC surface 2.0.1.42326
Motu AVB switch
2 x 50ft cat6 cables for long connections

For Live shows i would like to do the following:
Connect the CS18ai at remote desk at the club
Have a sm58 connected direct to cs18 for talk back
ideally having a mac mini with screen at cs18 desk to record the show. (capture)..i hear Firewire only? at rm32ai.....also for RTA and spectrum views

up on stage the rm32ai beside drums to patch out to stage for all instruments
of course using a wired connection to the cs18 from the stage

questions:
where should i connect the AVB switch? desk or stage
where should i connect the wifi router? desk or stage
should i hardwire each component with it's own IP?
the wifi router setup as well? static or dhcp?

issues i have seen:
UC surface sofware currently meters seem very choppy now with 2.0?

any suggestions on your own setups would be awesome!

cheers
Mike
by wahlerstudios on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:33 pm
It doesn't matter where the AVB switch is located, it simply should be there where you need most connections. The router uses a special port on the switch, so it makes sense to locate them next to each other.

If you use a router, you can build up the network completely on dynamic addresses. Just try it (the router needs to be booted fully before you power on the mixer and the controller). All components of the network should find each other automatically. In an AVB network you can use 4 inputs of CS for additional audio. The two XLR inputs will occupy channel 31 and 32, while the Line In's use the "Digital Return" (stereo), which is separated from the normal channel count.

Capture and Smaart are FireWire based, so the Mac mini needs to be connected to your RM. By the end of April there will be an firmware update, bringing "Smaart remote" back. You will have Smaart on iPad, but you still need a FireWire connection between RM and computer (located somewhere). The CS will also get the "channel select sync" function, so if you press a select button, the iPad will display that channel. The different display modes of UC Surface 2.0 are already very helpful. Wait for the update. Already now you can handle the most important functions of Capture in UC Surface and with the buttons on CS. I may well be that RTA on iPad will make a FireWire connection at FOH obsolete.

There should be no lag in metering on iPads. For FireWire connected computers it is better to NOT USE UC 2.0, but stay with UC 1.8. PreSonus has given a warning about this problem in the release notes of the last two UC versions.
by michaelnicoloff on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:27 am
Thank you so much for the info!!
You mention there is a certain port on my motu avb switch that is should use for my router?
And I assume it would not be connected to the port for the internet connection just one of the other ports on the router right?
Also dynamic addresses...you mean static addresses?
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:32 am
It's port "E" (Ethernet) of the MOTU AVB switch the router needs to be connected to. Ports 1 to 5 are reserved for AVB devices. Use one of the "network switch" ports of your router, NOT the internet port. You should use a dual band router because the 2.4 GHz range is too crowded...

As I said yo don't need static IP addresses. An AVB network works with dynamic addresses. Normally there is no "competition" in this frequency range.
by michaelnicoloff on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:11 pm
ok great! thank you sooo much!

5 posts
Page 1 of 1