Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,
I did a firmware update on my CS18 to the latest version (9203) I am on El Capitan 10.11.6 I also formatted my Sandisc Cruzer Glide Flash Drive as advised. After formatting was complete my LED screen went blank and after repeated attempts to power off and on my Control Surface does not work? Is there such a thing as a factory reboot or do I need to send this thing in?

Thanks for any advise
Billy

Attachments
IMG_0884.JPG
When I power off and on different lights will come on but no LED screen info
IMG_0884.JPG (38.2 KiB) Viewed 9697 times
by wahlerstudios on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:49 am
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/208613636-StudioLive-CS18AI-Firmware-Recovery-Factory-Reset-

This is a document from the Knowledge Base (see under "Controllers"), which might be helpful. It explains what a factory reset does and how it is done.There is also a link to some more information about the ScanDisk Flash Drives. It can always happen that new firmware is NOT loaded correctly or that a flash drive does not work. A factory reset is the LAST THING you can do. If it doesn't work your CS obviously needs a repair.
by matthewgorman on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:05 am
Its actually needed to do a firmware recovery on the 9203 update. Full instructions are available in your Presonus account by choosing the update firmware link on the CS18 product page.

The process is pretty simple, and there is no real downside for the CS18. A firmware recovery wipes the memory of the hardware, and restores factory settings. The only thing stored to memory are any wifi login or network credentials, and the list of mixers previously connected to.

I do advise to review the instructions in your account. However, the recovery is performed by unzipping the firmware package to the root of a fat32 formatted USB drive. Turn off the power and insert the drive. Then hold the home button down, and power up the CS. The meters at the top will flash left to right and back a few times. When the far left meter goes solid, release the home button. Wait for ALL meters at the top to go solid, wait maybe 10-15 secs, then power off and remove the USB. Power on as usual after that.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by kaupouibo on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:32 am
The same problems here. CS18 does not do nothing. On the USB stick some time led flashing, but nothing more.

[i][i]I do advise to review the instructions in your account. However, the recovery is performed by unzipping the firmware package to the root of a fat32 formatted USB drive. Turn off the power and insert the drive. Then hold the home button down, and power up the CS. The meters at the top will flash left to right and back a few times. When the far left meter goes solid, release the home button. Wait for ALL meters at the top to go solid, wait maybe 10-15 secs, then power off and remove the USB. Power on as usual after that.

The meters at the top will flash left to right and back a few times.[/i][/i] NO, THEY DOES NOT FLASH.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 am
If you have done exactly what the article in the knowledge base says (or what is written for firmware updates in your PreSonus account), your USB drive seems to be the problem. Can you try another one?

Quote:
Power User Tip: We recommend doing a fresh format of the drive. It is important that you use a drive no smaller than 1 GB and no larger than 32 GB in size. If the update cannot start or complete, it is highly recommended that you do a full reformat of your thumb drive as FAT32. On Windows, be sure to do a "Full" format as opposed to a "Quick" format. On Macs, the choice will be listed as MS-DOS (FAT). If you don't have success with a particular thumb drive, you may need to try a different thumb drive.

Also keep in mind that the firmware update or restore process will take about 10 minutes. Do not load the beta firmware, because it may cause some problems.
by kaupouibo on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:02 am
Thanks,

I bought new CanDisk Cruzer Edge 16 GB, did the full format (very slow) and go to stock and try once again.

But - what to do if the story will repeats:

I inserted USB stick, hold down HOME button, switched POWER ON, waited may be 5-6 minutes but nothing positive happens.
After switching power, the CS turned some times (2-3 times) to the USB stick, which promise good, but did not happen what I hoped.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:58 am
Quote from document "StudioLive CS18AI - Firmware Recovery (Factory Reset)", section 8+9:

"Plug the USB Flash drive into the USB port on the back of the CS18AI. Press and continue to hold the Home Button as you power on your CS18AI. Continue to hold the Home button as the CS18AI powers up. The LED meters will begin to scroll back and forth as during a normal boot. You will continue holding the Home button until the LED meters stop scrolling and the far left Channel 1 LED meter is illuminated. This indicates that Firmware Recovery has started, and as it progresses, the LED meters will illuminate up one at a time from left to right, serving as a progress indicator. When all 22 of the LED meters are illuminated, the Firmware Recovery is complete. Do not power your CS18AI off until all LED meters are illuminated."

I think you have followed these steps, because they indicate immediately if something is wrong. It should not take more than one minute until "Channel 1 LED meter" is illuminated. As this obviously does not happen for you, there are only two things to consider:

1) Try another USB stick or try another way of formatting the SanDisk drive (which is approved by PreSonus).

2) The CS18AI needs a repair.

By the way - does the CS18AI power up at all? If you just power it on, what happens then? If it boots, you should try Mardy Grass mode, because this is a test mode for the CS18AI. A quote from the Knowledge Base:

"Mardi Gras mode, found on the CS18's Utilities menu, is intended only as a test mode for the CS18 moving faders, RGB buttons, LCD scribble strips, and LED meters. It was not intended as a demo mode that can entered and exited during normal usage, as the fader test modes leave the CS18AI faders only partially operational, requiring a reboot of the CS18AI in order to return to normal function."
by kaupouibo on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:57 pm
Hi,

We tried to revive the CS18, but it did not succeed.
Pic 1.jpg

Sometime it looks so.

Pic 2.jpg
Some time it looks lie so.

Attachments
Pic 4.jpg
We measured voltage and current on USB. the voltage could be slightly higher.
Pic 3.jpg
Did not react to any button press.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:45 pm
This looks like a repair is needed, but (if you have the skills) you can try one thing: Open the mixer and check if all cables and connectors are still fixed correctly. There might have been some mechanical stress because of the way the CS18 was transported. Even if there is nothing really inside the CS18AI, it does need some protection and care... ;-)

Otherwise open a ticket via your PreSonus account or however it's needed to do in the country your're living. Hope the CS will be alive soon! It's a great machine!
by kaupouibo on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 am
It seemse, what my CS18 is not totally dead.

Is it possible to restore the factory setup over network?

Attachments
Presonus StudioLive CS18AI port.png
Presonus StudioLive CS18AI port.png (4.85 KiB) Viewed 8367 times
Presonus StudioLive CS18AI ping.png
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 am
The CS18AI also acquires an IP-address, but UC Surface does not "see" the CS18 as active member of the network. You can't see anywhere in UC Surface if a CS18 is involved. The CS18 is a controller like an iPad, which also is not shown and can't be accessed. The CS18 does have some more functions and features (Audio over AVB), but all this is hidden in the AVB "world".

A USB stick is the only option to perform a factory reset or firmware update.
by kaupouibo on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:05 pm
Thank You for help.

We took contact to Presonus and receive this e-mail:
Sounds like the update got corrupted or he loaded the incorrect firmware onto the unit. The unit will requier a new Main PCB (86-20000028). The team at Falcon will repair the unit and have it shipped back to you. Please confirm once the unit has been shipped.

BR,

Kaupo

12 posts
Page 1 of 1