Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
All,

We recently acquired a CS18ai, Rm32 and Studio One 3 for our studio (rehearsal, live recording and music production studio).

I followed all the advice, watch a lot of videos, read a lot of documents and completed the installation as required however i still can't get the system to function correctly.

Allow me to describe my set up a little:on the network side I have a Router connected to the internet, a MOTU AVB switch, RM32, CS18ai and an iMac. I also have an iPad.
The RM32, CS18ai, Router and iMac are all connected to the AVB switch via Ethernet cable (CAT6). The router provides DHCP. The RM32 is also connected to the iMac via a Firewire cable. The ipad connects wireless to the Router. The wifi dongle on both the RM32 and CS18ai are removed.

I switch ON the router and the switch first and wait 5 minutes before switching ON (in this order) the RM32, the CS18ai and finally the iMac.

Some days i can control the RM32 from the cs18ai most days i can't. Power cycling many times sometimes yields results sometimes it doesn't. The UC control software from the iMac controls the RM32 everytime as it sees it as a firewire device.
On the UCNET menu, the CS18ai sees the RM32 and when i start Studio one 3 on the computer it sees that as well.
The ipad also controls the RM32 correctly. All my firmwares are up to date have tried many approaches to solve my problem.

The first approach was to reserve IP's on the Router for the CS18, RM32, iMac and iPad so that they would not get different ip's each time they were switched on, that changed nothing.

The second approach was to in addition to the reserving IPs on the router to assign static IPs on the CS18ai, RM32, iMac and Ipad that matched those reserved for them on the router. this worked the first day i configured it (i had control of the cs18ai from iMac and iPad and could also control the RM32 from the cs18ai), but stopped the next day. One very odd behavior was that I stored a scene with all my mixes and settings and named and saved it, the next day it had disappeared.

This is where i stopped trying different things and started pouring into the forums a little more to check for any solutions.

Today the CS18ai would not work at first with the RM32 not could the the software control the CS18ai (not is DAW). after a few times power cycling the cs18ai, it just came to life and everything started functioning the way it should up until i could not hear a few on my instruments despite their faders being lifted and assigned correctly. after looking a while longer I discovered that the UC surface on the iMac had a mute of those faders, and the CS18ai was not showing the mute as active nor was it removing the mute when i press the button. i had to remove the mute from the software first and then only was i able to use the mute button successfully on the CS18ai.

Your help in solving this would be very welcome as we are a small business and we have invested all our hard earned money into this setup and as things stand we are not able to reliably say to our future customers that we provide recording services if we can't rely on our equipment.

Oh and by the way, our studio is located in Nigeria, Lagos, we acquired our Presonus gear via their local agent and we do not enjoy the 30 days return your gear if not happy option.

Regards,

Marwan
by ronron3 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:24 pm
Hi Marwan
Did you try dynamic in network settings ? Then both CS and RM should get an ip adress from the routers dhcp. For as far as I know preserving ip adresses is not necessary , maybe even causes trouble . , When all works well maybe you can increase dhcp range to keep your ip adresses close toghether
by seanbrown2 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:29 am
Marwan Sorry you are having trouble .

couple things you could try

is you router a compatible model .

Is the Motu Switch running it's latest firmware.

rule out other gear . try connecting the CS18 directly to the RM . or PC . Check for control . if it works add the router . check to see if you have control .

current firmware for RM is 1.0.8591
CS18 1.0.8591
UC Surface 1.5.1.38092

Motu Firmware updates http://motu.com/avb/avb-switch-firmware-updates

Good Luck

my system is very solid works reliably . I have a CS18 and an RM32 no avb switch in the system ( I dont need to pass audio to the CS) PC RM and CS just connect to my router via CAT6 . the Router is a TP Link Archer C2

Last year traded up my 3 firepod pod chain for a RM32AI. just added CS18AI And I am LOVING IT!. The Home Studio set up. Home built. Amd fx 8350 8 core 4400 Mhz liquid cooled. Asus M5A99X-EVO R2 MotherBoard, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz Ram, 120 GB Intel SSD , 1TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST NAS HDD, 500 GB Seagate HDD. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, SiiG DP FireWire 800 3 port PCIe card, tripple monitors 27 inch Asus Monitor / 2 24 Asus inch monitors , Studio one 3 pro, RM32Ai firewire to pc, QSC RMX 2450, RMX 1450, RMX 850. Furman RP-8D power conditioner. Audix Microphones. PDP Platinum Series Drums

3 posts
Page 1 of 1