Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
36 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
I would recommend performing a firmware recovery on your CS18 and see if the issue clears.

Also, there is an issue if you move faders and switch auxes too quickly, it can cause issues with fader positions. Pausing a couple of seconds between pressing mixes will avoid this problem. It is fixed in the next long awaited update.

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by michaelnicoloff on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:56 pm
It looks like my CS18ai keeps dropping the connection to my rm32ai
I had it set to dhcp and it was assigning ip's not problem at all
I use a AVB switch so I can use talkback and iPod at the CS18
I am using a apple airport express router
I am still using the Mac mini with a FireWire connection for capture recording of the shows
I also have an apple AirPort Extreme router. Should I use that one instead?
Wireless works fine for my iPad
I am not feeling confident right now about doing a show next weekend
This happens at a show along time ago ..freaks me out
Any suggestions to fine tune for stability?
Also the three options for ip addressing. What is the best one to use?
Right now it is set to static assigned manual

Thx Mike
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 am
I am using an Apple AirPort Express router (dual band) and dynamic addresses. No drop outs, no disconnections, rock solid all the time and in any set-up... With dynamic addresses always remember to have the router booted fully before starting any other equipment.

One reason for disconnections can be network cables and especially their connectors. Just twist the connectors a little bit, the signal might come back... Any AVB device can log in and log out any time without reboot.
by adamskillen1 on Fri May 25, 2018 9:03 am
Had my first sound gig last night. Up until this point, I was excited, everything was working great in the garage. Last night was a nightmare! I have an RML32AI, CS18AI, both connected to a PreSonus AVB switch. I also have an iMac, connected to the AVB via ethernet, as well as FireWire to the RML32AI. I have a router connected to the AVB switch also. (TP Link) WiFi dongle inserted in RM. (Which, after reading all the posts, I think I’m going to remove...) I’m certain my ignorance is to blame, but my CS18 cut out a ton, my Mac crashed and restarted, I lost connection on my iPad multiple times, and I don’t have much hair left to pull out for tonight’s show! I know nobody will read this and be able to help me by tonight; but I was definitely baptized by fire last night! Lol... One huge plus I will mention; during all of these connection issues, I never lost audio and nobody in the audience had a clue that I had any issues. But my nerves are shot! I hope I can figure out a better way because I’ve invested thousands into this system and everything I have is riding on me making all this work...

CS18AI | RM32AI | iMac 21.5” (Late 2015) 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Memory
Running the current version 10.13.3 macOS High Sierra | TP Link AC1350 Router | iPad Mini | PreSonus SW5E AVB Switch | Studio One Artist | PreSonus HP2 wired IEM | DW, Ludwig, Tama and Mapex drum kits, and a decent selection of mics | And still growing... :thumbup:
by wahlerstudios on Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 am
Yes, two things were definitely too much and have probably caused the problems:

1) You don't need the ethernet connection to your Mac, because you are using FireWire, which handles UC Surface, Capture and Studio One.

2) You don't need the dongle, because you already have an established network connection.

Use dynamic addresses (the standard for PreSonus gear) and always remember to let the router boot fully, before you switch on anything else. I would recommend a sequence like this:

a) Router & AVB switch (can start at the same time)
b) Rack mixer/s
c) Computer + FireWire
d) Controller (CS18) + UCNET
e) iPad etc.

Since I am using RM mixers and the CS controller, I have never experienced any problems. This combination is rock solid - in any possible constellation. I even mixed several concerts already with the new beta firmware on CS18AI and RM32AI, which generally is not really wise to do. Until now I haven't seen see any problem.
by sjc193 on Fri May 25, 2018 10:39 am
I have noticed in the past an issue with the iPad app UC 2.x where if I put the iPad to sleep (click button for screen to turn off) that when I turn it back on the app will look like it's working and connected and I can move faders and all knobs but it doesn't actually make any changes to the sound (lost connection), the trick is to close the app and start it back up again and everything works again. This happens any time I put it to sleep for more than 30 seconds.

That said I haven't tried it recently with the latest version so it might have been fixed. Just thought I'd mention that in case it was an issue for you.

Also I believe the router needs to be connected to the NON-AVB port on the AVB switch to work best.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by gbam55 on Fri May 25, 2018 12:07 pm
Yes the Router does not pass audio Avs so does not need to be in the avb side of the switch. That said it does work on either side.

Cheers

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, 16.0.2 (x2), Studiolive mobile, Mac mini i7 Quad core, 16GB, MacBook Pro 2012 (1T Ssd & with all the Ports you need) Studio One Professionnal. Mélodine editor, Fader Port, StudioLive RM32-AI, CS18-ai, KRK VTX4 monitors and KRK 10s.
KRK 10 3 monitors. Yamaha O1v, KRK rokit 10 3 monitors. RCF 725-II PA and RCF 325 stage monitors. Turbosound TQ425/455 DP PA.
by adamskillen1 on Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 pm
Thanks Wahlerstudios and everyone else for the quick replies! You guys are awesome! I will implement these recommendations for tonight and let you all know how it goes. In fact; I’m about to go do some testing right now to make sure it all works! Thanks again; you guys are saving my bacon for sure!!

Running the current version 10.13.3 macOS High Sierra | TP Link AC1350 Router | iPad Mini | PreSonus SW5E AVB Switch | Studio One Artist | PreSonus HP2 wired IEM | DW, Ludwig, Tama and Mapex drum kits, and a decent selection of mics | And still growing... :thumbup:
by mwatzal on Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 pm
hello,
if you want control (start, stopp, rec....) capture with the iPad or CS18 you need the additional Ethernet connect to your Computer

greetings Michael
by wahlerstudios on Fri May 25, 2018 6:41 pm
The wireless solution for this is much easier, because you don't need another cable. Let the computer join the network created by your router, then the machines do the rest. Works perfect for Studio One and Capture and activates the world behind the DAW button. No dongle needed anywhere.

;-)
by adamskillen1 on Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 am
Just wanted to let you all know that the second night went flawlessly. No issues whatsoever! Thank you so much for all of your help, it was invaluable and made everything go so much smoother!

Do any of you know if there is a way that I can run the computer from FOH next to the CS18AI instead of having it located near the board on stage? I'm assuming there are limits to the max length of FireWire cables, and if I want Capture and StudioOne to work, FireWire must be connected. I don't see any other way to get it done? I have been relying on controlling everything from my Mac due to the lack of trust and comfort in everything else, but I think we have all of the connection issues solved now. My next gig will be in a field, and I most likely will not be co-located with the RML32AI, so I will not be by the Mac. I will have to rely on the CS18AI and my iPad, and in order to playback backing tracks, I will have to do it from the CS18. What is the best way to do this? My plan right now is to use a 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS adapter so I can still use my phone to play them. The 1/4" will be plugged into one of the line in points, (3 or 4) on the CS18, and the other 3.5mm will be plugged into my iPhone. Is this the best method? Will I have to change the input source to network? Will I still have a stereo mix? etc. I don't know all of the things I should be considering at this point...

by wahlerstudios on Thu May 31, 2018 8:05 am
That's good news! Thanks for sharing.

To use AVB audio you need an AVB switch and wired connections. Using AVB 3+4 (TRS inputs) of the CS18 is one of two alternatives. This is a stereo input which is routed directly to the Digital Return (DigRet) of your RM mixer and it is available on all buses (auxes). To be able to hear the signal you need to set the input to Network. The DigRet has no processing (Fat Channel) and no preamp gain and there is no routing possible (Subgroups, DCA). The second alternative is to use the AVB channels of your rack mixer, which - in any configuration of RM mixers - are channels 31 and 32. AVB inputs 1+2 of your CS18AI are combi inputs (XLR and TRS) and when using TRS input levels are fixed. You need to select Network as input for channels 31+32. Now you can use full processing and routing of both channels and you can link them. Changing gain/volume can be done via make-up gain (compressor).

There is only one way to bring FireWire to FOH: You need to cascade two RM mixers and the RM at FOH has to be the Master. This works with both RM mixers (48 or 62 channel configurations).
by sjc193 on Thu May 31, 2018 10:33 am
Or you could use a second computer to Remote Desktop into the stage computer to remotely control it, with a good network it’s just like being there.

In fact I just use my iPad to remote into my stage computer using an app called SplashTop, works great even over the WiFi

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by robertbernard on Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 pm
There is another solution to this but it does require you to spend a little money, but I have found that it is well worth it. I ordered a custom built rack mounted computer from https://www.superlogics.com/industrial- ... t-pcs.html
The computer I had built has a Firewire 800 card in it as well as an HDMI connection for a monitor. Installed the rack computer into my stage rack with my two RM16's. Everything is connected to my AVB switch and a Firewire connection to the master RM16. I have UC Surface, Capture, and Waves Multirack (with about 20 Waves plugins) as well as Studio One 3 Professional loaded onto the computer. When it's show time, I keep the rack on stage, and run my Cat5 cable to my CS18ai and a HDMI cable to my touch screen monitor that both reside at FOH. I can control everything from FOH, like UC Surface, Capture and either Multirack or Studio One 3 as well as control with the CS18ai, including the talkback mic. All total I have $940.00 US dollars invested in the computer, the monitor and a 50ft HDMI cable. Just a thought......

2 Presonus RM16AI, CS18AI, AudioBox USB, AudioBox 1818VSL, Lenovo 560 23" All-In-One i5/3.0ghz, Dell Pro Venue 10, HP Pro612 Tablet Presonus StudioOne Professional, ERIS 8 monitors, Alesis Elevate 6 monitors, AKG K141 headphones. Budda SD18, SD30, and SD45 amplifiers, Marshall JVM 205H amps and cabinets. Gibson Les Pau Standards, Classic, Traditionals and Signature. Carvin XD360 Speaker Management System. Mackie subs and Mains. Crown Power Amps and AKG Tetrad Quad Wireless Mics.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:37 am
DSCN8326_800.jpg

A nice thought, but also an expensive one, and there is one more rack to carry and one more long cable to run... ;-) It is no question that the missing FireWire connection at FOH (via CS or "add-on box") makes it sometimes cumbersome to work with CS/RM combinations. Whatever you try, you will always miss something. I remember the times when I had my Mac mini next to my SL AI console. Those were luxurious days...

But there are some tools, which make our life and work as "controllers" easier:

CS18AI:

1) The CS18AI controller has transport buttons for Capture and Studio One, so both softwares can be completely remote controlled. If the computer is networked (wired or wireless), both programs show up automatically. It doesn't matter where the computer is located physically.

2) The DAW button adds a second "heart" to the RM mixer, which is controlled by the CS18. Some things are easy to find and to handle, other things need to be set up via UCNET Remote to make the workflow easier. It is possible to control any plug-in via UCNET Remote (change knobs and buttons, rename them, leave functions away).

iPad/tablets:

3) UC Surface offers general remote control for Capture and - especially - the feature of arming individual tracks. Whatever needs to be done, the iPad does it all. There is also an additional feature for manually scrolling through recordings.

4) Studio One Remote is the app for iPad, which offers detailed control of nearly all S1 features. Especially the UCNET Remote function is a tool with a lot of potential. It can be programmed individually, to make the workflow easier and clearer.

These are really powerful tools and I have to say that I don't miss a computer at FOH any longer. And now that we finally have the Sync Select function for the CS18AI, we can use the full potential of UC Surface on iPad/tablet, which are the Device Display Modes Mixer, FatChannel, Sends and Meter. Now you can select a channel (input or output) on the CS18 and change settings on the iPad or tablet. This is exactly the workflow I had with a computer and I have enjoyed this "new" feature in several concerts already. One channel done, turn to the next. Very easy and intuitive, even better than on the CS18 itself.

For me it now makes sense to think of integrating a second iPad, which will be dedicated to the remote control of Capture/Studio One. Controlling plug-ins is possible via CS18AI in DAW mode, but it makes sense to separate this from the "mixer" and to delegate all functions to an iPad. The only problem at the moment is the open-air season, which has started already and will last until September. If I literally don't see anything on the CS18 when the sun is shining, there is nothing to see and control on an iPad anyway.

The summer is always the time to remember how important it is to hear what happens, not see... ;-)
by adamskillen1 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 am
wahlerstudios wrote
DSCN8326_800.jpg

A nice thought, but also an expensive one, and there is one more rack to carry and one more long cable to run... ;-) It is no question that the missing FireWire connection at FOH (via CS or "add-on box") makes it sometimes cumbersome to work with CS/RM combinations. Whatever you try, you will always miss something. I remember the times when I had my Mac mini next to my SL AI console. Those were luxurious days...

But there are some tools, which make our life and work as "controllers" easier:

CS18AI:

1) The CS18AI controller has transport buttons for Capture and Studio One, so both softwares can be completely remote controlled. If the computer is networked (wired or wireless), both programs show up automatically. It doesn't matter where the computer is located physically.

2) The DAW button adds a second "heart" to the RM mixer, which is controlled by the CS18. Some things are easy to find and to handle, other things need to be set up via UCNET Remote to make the workflow easier. It is possible to control any plug-in via UCNET Remote (change knobs and buttons, rename them, leave functions away).

iPad/tablets:

3) UC Surface offers general remote control for Capture and - especially - the feature of arming individual tracks. Whatever needs to be done, the iPad does it all. There is also an additional feature for manually scrolling through recordings.

4) Studio One Remote is the app for iPad, which offers detailed control of nearly all S1 features. Especially the UCNET Remote function is a tool with a lot of potential. It can be programmed individually, to make the workflow easier and clearer.

These are really powerful tools and I have to say that I don't miss a computer at FOH any longer. And now that we finally have the Sync Select function for the CS18AI, we can use the full potential of UC Surface on iPad/tablet, which are the Device Display Modes Mixer, FatChannel, Sends and Meter. Now you can select a channel (input or output) on the CS18 and change settings on the iPad or tablet. This is exactly the workflow I had with a computer and I have enjoyed this "new" feature in several concerts already. One channel done, turn to the next. Very easy and intuitive, even better than on the CS18 itself.

For me it now makes sense to think of integrating a second iPad, which will be dedicated to the remote control of Capture/Studio One. Controlling plug-ins is possible via CS18AI in DAW mode, but it makes sense to separate this from the "mixer" and to delegate all functions to an iPad. The only problem at the moment is the open-air season, which has started already and will last until September. If I literally don't see anything on the CS18 when the sun is shining, there is nothing to see and control on an iPad anyway.

The summer is always the time to remember how important it is to hear what happens, not see... ;-)

So, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to grasp what you are saying is possible here. Keep in mind that I'm only 2 months into my purchase of my RML32 and CS18, so the learning curve has been pretty steep. You clarified for me that in order to have my Mac at FOH, I needed another RM, and then I'd have to cascade them and make the RM at FOH the master and plug my FireWire into that in order to accomplish this. But, if I'm reading you correctly, I don't really need to do this? I can access all of the features this system provides with 2 or maybe 3 iPads? That would be much cheaper than buying another RM!

I guess what I need is to truly understand how to design my work flow so that I can take advantage of the full capabilities of this system. I'm still trying to grasp all of the possibilities here. I'm on my 7th or 8th reading thru all of the manuals, and I'm picking up more and more each time. Initially, nearly everything was over my head. But as I continue to work with these tools, I'm picking up more and more. I think I may be on the cusp of the big "epiphany" where suddenly everything will make sense and I will begin to see ways to improvise and adapt in order to really maximize this system and what it can do, but I'm just not there yet.

I am excited about figuring out a way to avoid buying another mixer just so I can have my Mac at FOH! I don't really want to have to do that, and honsetly, it will take much longer than I would like for that to be possible anyways. I'm going to be paying off my friend for a long time for all of the speakers, amps, mics, cables and gear that he's allowed me to make payments on, so basially, I';m working for free for the next couple of years! So, if I can learn how to accomplish everything I need to without having to locate my Mac at FOH, then I'm okay with that. I think the extensive knowledge I've been absorbing over the past 2 months has prevented me from seeing other possibilities or solutions because I'm just simply overwhelmed and trying to absorb as much as possible. Having this forum to simplify so many issues, and present ideas or solutions is really nice. You guys are awesome!

36 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2