Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just got a CS18ai to pair with the RM32ai we have at my church. What's the easiest way to record... without a computer? It has a Record button in the Transport section, but I think that is tied to the Ethernet AVB Jack.

I'm setting up this mixer for our Youth Group and want something simple to record with. Some mixers can simply record to a USB stick, not sure if this will do that or not.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:31 am
Unfortunately the CS18AI is not a mixer. It's a controller for AI rack mixers and it can have "limited" audio features via AVB, which means two local audio inputs (channels 31+32) and two audio outputs (monitor section). Recording will always need FireWire and therefore a computer located not too far away from the rack mixer. Still the CS18AI and the rack mixer need to be connected to a router for Remote Control, which allows the use of UC Surface and the control of Studio One and Capture.

You can try to connect rack mixer and controller directly to create and AVB network. It does not really make sense to think of buying a MOTU AVB Switch. If a direct connection works for you, leave it like that. If it doesn't work, get a WiFi dongle and try to connect the CS18AI wireless. Then it will have no audio functions at all (no talkback or wirless microphone, no playbacks or pause music), but it will control the rack mixer and give UC Surface faders and encoders and buttons.

Cascading two rack mixers via AVB has been an option in former times, but this got lost and I don't know if the new firmware version has this feature again. There are not many users of CS18AI's anymore here or on Facebook, so it's difficult to get help and advice. Try the direct AVB connection or the dongle and if that works, enjoy what you can do with your system. Do NOT waste too much time to get "discontinued" products working.
by ryanschultz2 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:16 pm
Thanks for the reply. If the CS18 and RM32 are connected directly, do the XLR/TRS's on the back of the CS18 work? I'd like to use them as inputs and outputs in addition to the RM32 (just because of it's location).
by wahlerstudios on Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:32 pm
I suppose so - never tried it. I have used a MOTU AVB Switch.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1