Discuss the new PreSonus CS18Ai
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Couldn't think of a more elegant way to title this post. I was working with another engineer the other door on the CS18 and he noticed that if he makes some quick changes in monitor mixes, sometimes they are not captured, so when he goes back to that mix, the faders are back to where they were before the change. Here's roughly what happened. Band playing, engineer notices that a bunch of sends to Mix 3 need to be removed to reflect a change on stage. Engineer hits Mix 3, takes down (quickly) all of the offending sends and then hits Mix 2 to continue to make adjustments elsewhere. Engineer sees grimace on musicians face so goes back to Mix 3 and the sends are still where they were before he took them down. We tested this post gig and found that if all of that took place in less than about a second, then the CS/RM partnership didn't record the change. If it took over a second (roughly) to return to the other Mix, then it did.

Obviously the trick is to dwell a moment before going to a different Mix, but as engineers we often have to do a load of things very quickly and it becomes natural to punch the buttons, move the faders and punch another one.

Anyone else experienced this or similar?

CS18, RM32, RM32, HP4, ERIS 5, MOTU AVB SWITCH
by matthewgorman on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:56 am
How is everything connected? It sounds like a network issue.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by wahlerstudios on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:59 am
Yes, 1 second is not enough, but 1.5 seconds does it in a wired connection (AVB); wireless probably takes a little longer. It looks we need to give the RM a little time to do his "homework"...

Anyway I think "quick changes" like you describe should not happen at all. In an emergency case there are mute buttons for each input channel and mute buttons for the 16 mix outs (via Mix Master). Normally there should be no need to change settings in less than a second, so it might be worth to reflect the workflow at FOH. Since there is Remote Control, a FOH engineer does not need to deal with monitor mixes any longer. I have always somebody with an iPad on stage, who takes care of the monitor mixes during soundcheck and concert.

And if something needs to me muted or unmuted, he will do that for me, because he sees the need earlier than me. I want to concentrate on the sound in the room and at FOH I am anyway too far away to evaluate the monitor mixes on stage. I don't need to be a magician at FOH, and I also don't want to.

8-)
by philmoakes on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:03 am
We are working in a studio/broadcast environment so all control is conducted at the traditional FOH position. To answer a question raised about networking - CS18 and RM are connected via AVB through MOTU AVB Switch. The RM sits about 3 feet away from the CS at the moment. I slightly disagree that quick changes aren't necessary - when someone indicates that they need a change, the engineer needs to implement that change as quickly as possible and then go back to mixing the broadcast. I haven't tried running those changes on an iPad to compare, but the process of simply picking up an iPad would add further delay. The engineer in question is a very experienced guy and is used to working on a lot of other kit. He says he hasn't run into this before and I suspect it is because his own digital kit and the desks that he regularly uses on tour doesn't use a control surface as its main means of controlling a mixer. Personally I haven't experienced the issue and now he knows I'm sure he will work with it.

CS18, RM32, RM32, HP4, ERIS 5, MOTU AVB SWITCH

4 posts
Page 1 of 1