Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I use a FireStudio Project interface with an outboard compressor/limiter patched into Inputs 1 and 2.

I'm interested in buying a Studio 192 and have been reading up on its features. I understand (maybe) about the Fat Channel DSP effects - how they operate in hardware when tracking, and as the Studio One 3 native Fat Channel software plugin during playback.

My existing signal flow puts my hardware compressor in front of the mic/line preamp (assuming the patch points are before the actual preamp) so when the signal hits the preamp it's already compressed . No worries about overloading the preamp.

QUESTION: Does the Studio 192's DSP processing protect the mic/line preamp the way my current setup does? I think it could if the incoming signal hits the DSP effects processor before it hits the preamplifier...

Studio One Pro 4
AMD 6-core processor 3.20 GHz, 16GB ram
Windows 10 pro 64bit
by matthewgorman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:26 pm
The problem is more the converters than the preamp. The outboard comp would protect more for converter overload. The comp in the 192 is in the digital domain, so post converter.

I would say keep it. I may be off on my signal flow, so lets get some input from others as well.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Tom Overthere on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm
Thanks, Matt. And you're right. When I wrote "preamp" I should have written A/D converter.
I'm pretty sure the DSP effects cannot protect the A/D the way I do at present by inserting a compressor/limiter at the FSP channel insert jacks.

I hope it is possible though, as my compressor's getting pretty long in the tooth... On the other hand, five years in and my FireStudio Project is still a great interface when paired with Studio One 3 Pro.

Studio One Pro 4
Windows 10 pro 64bit
by matthewgorman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm
Not to spend your money for you, but the pres and converters on the 192 are worth the upgrade. I had almost the same as you have (Firestudio Tube), and the difference is easily noticed. Latency has been improved also with some driver tweaks and S1 optimization. Sub 6ms is about what I get these days.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Tom Overthere on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:04 pm
Good to know, and I appreciate hearing from "the man who owns one."

I'm not sure what the difference in preamps sounds like, and maybe "Ignorance is Bliss" will have to suffice for now In line with your comments, the money's not exactly burning a hole in my pocket, and if somebody were to demonstrate for me exactly what the better preamps sound like I'll bet I could "fake the difference" one way or another such that most listeners would never notice. Maybe... :mrgreen:

Studio One Pro 4
Windows 10 pro 64bit

5 posts
Page 1 of 1