Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Ok, recorded a band yesterday...one I am in, never try to engineer and play, record at the same time...my brain is frazzled.

Anyway question 1.
When using the latest Presonus Studio one v3 and the latest 192 firmware (update from yesterday) and the Universal control, if you setup a cue mix and engage the z icon does that automatically engage mixer system bypass one the universal control AI?

Is the idea that you can use the AI to record with zero latency and then later you setup cue mixes for recording after you have the initial instruments on tape?

Would it be better to setup separate output mixes (main, 1 and2, 3 and 4) for initial recording to distribute different mix volumes to different musicians? The problem was I created a cue mix for the different musicians and because I had the zs icons engaged I was getting latency so I engaged all the z icons. I am sure I did something wrong but I don't know for sure.

I looked in the manual and there is a little slider thing in the left hand side of the fat channel listing at the top of the mixer. Engaging it so that it turns orange means you are printing the effects correct?

When I am done recording how do I eliminate the fat channel instance appearing at the top of the channel or is that just something I can hide, or is it always on if you have a 192?

Lastly, the night before I setup templates and I swear I save 10 instances of the same song with different names. When I came back the next day several of the presets for the various fat channels weren't loaded/saved and appear as the generic flat off responses. I thought if you saved a channel setting it would load back to that state when you opened it up at a later date? is there a bug. I have this same problem with non presonsus plugins...some more than others, especially UAD plugins. I will load a preset I have made. Save the song, then close the song, then open the song and it will not list the preset in the plugin. What is frustrating is most of the time the settings are correct for the preset (but not always) but the preset same is not loaded. It just shows default in the preset section? Is this a known bug?

I am sure I will have more, and eventually figure out my own questions but any help would be awesome.

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
5 hard drives (10.5 tbs internal)
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49
Roland XP 50, Virus tb, Korg Prophecy, Nord Lead II, Ensoniq TS 10 , Korg MS2000R
by matthewgorman on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 am
When using the latest Presonus Studio one v3 and the latest 192 firmware (update from yesterday) and the Universal control, if you setup a cue mix and engage the z icon does that automatically engage mixer system bypass one the universal control AI?

Yes

Is the idea that you can use the AI to record with zero latency and then later you setup cue mixes for recording after you have the initial instruments on tape?

Cue mixes can be used for the entire project. Its a personal workflow preference.

Would it be better to setup separate output mixes (main, 1 and2, 3 and 4) for initial recording to distribute different mix volumes to different musicians?

Yes, if you need different mixes. I will typically lock the cue mix to the faders, and get a general setup. Then go in mix by mix and tweak for each individual need. Quicker setup, but not required.

I looked in the manual and there is a little slider thing in the left hand side of the fat channel listing at the top of the mixer. Engaging it so that it turns orange means you are printing the effects correct?

Yes

When I am done recording how do I eliminate the fat channel instance appearing at the top of the channel or is that just something I can hide, or is it always on if you have a 192?

On the left side of the mixer, there is a wrench icon. One of the check boxes is for show/hide controls.

Not sure of your last question. Would want some more information on the steps you took to be able to see something that may be missing.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by jpettit on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:12 am
was just answering.. good answers Matt.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by tombrignall on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:18 pm
Ok I will describe something that happened today.

I open a song.
Select the snare channel
Insert UAD LA2 plugin
Select preset "Snare"
Save Song
Close Song
Open same song
Look at snare channel, UAD is there, the visual settings are the same, but the preset says"default" instead of "snare". Is this a known issue, a design choice of presonus, what.

The reason it is an issue is when I am looking at different plugins I often check to see which preset I am starting with because some sound better than others. If I have the same snare sound for a session I will tend to use it for every song. The problem is when I open up a song from a particular session, and the preset says default, I can't always tell from a busy plugin like the UAD Fairchild if all the setting are in the right/same/correct place when the preset says "default".

Asking a different ways, shouldn't studio one save the settings of all the plugins I use and if I select a preset or save a preset when I open the song at a later date say what presets names I am using for each plugin?

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49
Roland XP 50, Virus tb, Korg Prophecy, Nord Lead II, Ensoniq TS 10 , Korg MS2000R
by matthewgorman on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:34 pm
So when you are selecting the preset, i am ussuming that the preset is a UaD preset, or are these studio one presets? Have you saved any presets as studio one presets? I ask this to make sure we are looking in the right area.

3rd party vsts, most of them anyway, give you an option to save a preset to the vst (for lack of a better word). Studio one gives users options to save presets within studio one. And the presets can and usually are listed in different areas.

Most often 3rd party presets are baled in to the plug gui. S1 wraps the gui within s1, and the s1 presets are a drop down in the title bar of that wrapper. So its possible that you have a preset selected within the actual vst, and the title bar preset says default, which would be the only thing it could say if you have never saved presets within s1.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by tombrignall on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:03 pm
ok this makes sense why there are two presets options. So if I have a UAD preset, I should open it, and then save it as a presonus preset.
Last edited by tombrignall on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49
by matthewgorman on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:17 pm
You can, but i was more trying to get to the bottom of your circumstances.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by tombrignall on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:37 pm
Ok so what am I doing wrong? Could it be the edition of OS X, a bug with apple, just curious. By the way I tried other plugins: waves, kush, plugin alliance, etc and have the same issues. The presonus plugins on the other hand do call up the presets.

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49
by matthewgorman on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:44 am
Not sure yet. How are you saving the presets? It could be a software error, but I am still not sure where the error could be.

Describe the steps you are taking to save so we can troubleshoot. Try as much detail as you can.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by tombrignall on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:34 pm
as I stated in the post above:
I open a song.
Select the snare channel
Insert UAD LA2 plugin
Select preset "Snare" or any of the presents that come with the LA2
Save Song
Close Song
Open song, preset name is gone in the LA2 and says "default preset"

I can do this in any combination and it doesn't matter. So whenever I save a song using with presets from the manufacturers when I save the song and open it again those preset name are not displayed.

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49

10 posts
Page 1 of 1