Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
31 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Makes sense to me.

ADC converters and similar on most decent gear these days is good enough for most anything I think. I doubt if ADC, unless it's just terrible sounding or insanely cheap, will make much of a difference for most people with recording chops. I do feel (for me anyway) that the impact of a good DA converter weighs more heavily than the input side because mixing is a rather long excercise and accurate playback plays a pretty big role in it.

I (long time ago) purchased expensive stereo converters for both ends of the studio, Lavry Blue ADC and Lavry Black / DA-10 DAC, and I'd be hard pressed to even say the Blue was worth the money while at the same time I feel the Black DAC was worth every penny, and made an audible difference. It's a potentially interesting unscientific (no blind listening) observation because if confirmation bias kicked in, it only kicked in on the DAC.

Obviously, when you get into these kinds of ASIO devices there's that other variable, mic pre circuits and all that which have some impact on the overall sound, a slightly different thing.
by jester41 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:59 pm
I have had the Studio 192 for 1 week and I have had to run it with the bass turned down on my mixer, the bass is not boomy just solid good bass. I am using a sub in a studio environment . I have an Apollo and a RME UCX and neither of those are as solid in the bass and I have to turn the bass back up to equal the 192. The mid and highs are equal to the Apollo. In fact the Apollo with a bunch of UADs are going away. I was very surprised to find out the converters are the same as the Stuiodlive converters-no difference. Also the clock in the 192 is very good. I am clocking my Echo Audiofire Pre8 from the 192 and it sounds better. I knew clocks could affect the sound but I was amazed at how good the Echo sounds now. I think PreSonus has a winner at a price point I don't get.
by rokko101 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:26 pm
Your impressions on the Studio 192 sound very positive.
It'll be remarkable if it matches RME UCX and UAD Apollo sound quality. I'll get one as soon as they arrive here.
The bass response perception your describe is the opposite compared to the OP though.

MacOS 12.6, Mac Pro 2012 Xeon 3.06Ghz 24Gb RAM, Mac Mini 2012 i7, Studio One v.6 , Presonus Studio 192, AudioBox iOne.
by tombrignall on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 am
If the guy was using the clock of the echo with the apollo or the RME that could probably be the reason. As far as I am concerned the echos were mediocre at best. No surprise the clock on the 192 is better, just shocked he wasn't using the RME or apollo clock before. Maybe he was...unclear.

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
5 hard drives (10.5 tbs internal)
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49
Roland XP 50, Virus tb, Korg Prophecy, Nord Lead II, Ensoniq TS 10 , Korg MS2000R
by matthewgorman on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:57 am
From rokko's previous post, I took the original file into a new S1 song. Ran it out flat via the RM16, and back into the 192 as a stereo file. Attached is that file. I didn't come as hot into the 192 as the original file was, so there may be a db discrepancy.

Attachments
192.wav
(12.03 MiB) Downloaded 536 times

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by tombrignall on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:20 am
Ok I just did some preliminary mixes with the 192. It sounds pretty accurate, and in fact it might be too bright which would mean the opposite of too little bass, but perhaps too much bass from a different frequency. The important part is the mix sounded punchy, in your face, and aggressive and not like it was in a cave or coffee can which can happen when one mixes with too many muddy mid, mid low, or sub frequencies. In the past with my original Mackie monitors and a Motu interface, the mixes would often sound so boomy in other play back environments that you couldn't hear other instruments. Time to play the song in my car and I will report back. So far two tentative thumbs up.

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49
Roland XP 50, Virus tb, Korg Prophecy, Nord Lead II, Ensoniq TS 10 , Korg MS2000R
by tombrignall on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:35 pm
Ok this is a first. I actually think my mixes need just a little more low end...the polar opposite of my problems in the past. This means to me my position that the 192 didn't have enough end is just an example of painted on ear syndrome. I got used to hearing the MBOX 3 and converting to the 192 sound was going to take some time. I knew this was a possibility but apparently in this instance it actually happened.

My mixes sound solid, consistent, no surprises and the reason it has a little less bass is I tended to over compensate for bass because I like it so much. So now I will go back and push the kick and bass up to levels that sound good with the anticipation those levels will be what I actually want in the final mix. This is pretty exciting. The band is absolutely thrilled and thinks the sounds are great. So unless something happens in the next few weeks the 192 is a keeper.

Yep thats what I said I think its a keeper. I actually am enjoying eating my words. :D

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49
by matthewgorman on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:51 pm
I actually am enjoying eating my words. :D

No need to eat them. Savor in their incorrectness.

Glad you got it sorted out. I agree, its a hell of a box.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by rokko101 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:47 pm
My 192 is on it's way ... but this first impressions are once again reassuring.

From what i read in your signature you're using a Mac Pro 3.1 ... i'm on a 4.1 (with 5.1 firmware)... Is everything working fine though USB 2.0? Are you using onboard USB ports?

Thanks!

MacOS 12.6, Mac Pro 2012 Xeon 3.06Ghz 24Gb RAM, Mac Mini 2012 i7, Studio One v.6 , Presonus Studio 192, AudioBox iOne.
by matthewgorman on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:01 pm
rokko101 wroteMy 192 is on it's way ... but this first impressions are once again reassuring.

From what i read in your signature you're using a Mac Pro 3.1 ... i'm on a 4.1 (with 5.1 firmware)... Is everything working fine though USB 2.0? Are you using onboard USB ports?

Thanks!

Good for you. Its a nice little piece of gear. Enjoy it.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by tombrignall on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:20 pm
rokko101 wroteMy 192 is on it's way ... but this first impressions are once again reassuring.

Thanks!

Everything worked fine through USB 2.0 using 16 tracks at once and some interface fat channel settings for compression, gate on drums only. I tend not to use eq when I am tracking and wait to apply later. If the sound sucks at the source I try to fix the source first.

I will say I suspect there was some latency issues where I had to use the Z icons to fix the problem. I guess this is not an issue but when you do that it bypasses the virtual mixer for the 192 which means I couldn't adjust mic pres from my iPad app remotely while I was in another room. I am sure what I am saying is still possible but I just didn't know how to do it and during the middle of a recording session I didn't have to time to try to figure it out. Lastly, I wish the mic pre settings had some -10, -20 db pads setting for some of the hot instruments. I also had some problems with a phantom power issue, where even though it said phantom power was engaged I couldn't hear anything through the mic. There have been so many firmware updates, that if there was a firmware update after Sunday night it fixed it because when I tested things out on Tuesday the phantom power issue was gone.

Studio One Pro V3
Ma
MBOX pro 3
OS 10.9.5
2x2.8 Quad Core 2008
22 GB Ram
motu 828II
Unitor 8
AMT 8
Maschine
Novation Impulse 49

31 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2