Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
For some reason, the heads at PreSonus have decided to release a driver/software/hardware combination with their Brand on it, that does not work correctly in the Windows environment. You can use the PreSonus Studio 192 in any DAW, except Studio One 4, without any issues. at all. The combination of DAW and Interface work seamlessly together and have no impact on the workstation and audio system. Take that very same interface and launch its supposed native companion Studio One 4 and you will experience headache upon headache. I honestly do not know if PreSonus is trying to gain Interface market share by producing a good device that works great with all other DAW applications and yet does not work with their own DAW. Or are they trying to produce a Professional Class leading DAW that is not meant to work with their own interfaces? The QA on the software side and the hardware side failed completely.
Though I am sure it is Microsoft's fault, or the users fault, or maybe even the motherboard manufacturers fault. It is a QA failure to release a product that fits into a brand ecosystem, and does not work with that branded ecosystem. I have spent 10 years as a QA software/hardware person. I have worked at all levels within the department from technician to project manager. I know that when a brand produces software that is supposed to work with all the hardware products of that brand it means testing and certifying that those products, first and foremost work correctly together. Secondly that the combination of those products do not interfere or cause problems with the platform that they coexist. The QA department must have noticed that when they opened up Studio One 4 on a Windows 10 computer connected to a Studio 192 device, that there were problems. They must have created a bug report that advised the developers that the Windows Audio system would become unstable and ultimately fail. Subsequently interrupting not only the work flow of the producer/engineer/artist, but interrupting and destroying the energy involved in the creation process. The last thing an artist or producer wants to hear, "I have to reboot my computer". They certainly do not expect to hear a tech say, OOPPS.. That's the wrong cable.

In any case, I have created a ticket to "support" and advised them of the issue, though I have no doubt that they know all too well this issue exists. They will placate me until I give up and choose not to use their products. I can not imagine that the product manager for the USB products and the product manager for the Studio One 4 product have a working relationship that is of any value. They do not seem to notice that their products do not work together. Nor does it appear they care to have their products work together.

I have done all the troubleshoot that has been recommended and documented. Except for doing a complete wipe and clean install of Windows 10. That should not be a requirement for using the 192 and Studio One 4 in unison and doing so without corrupting the Windows Audio system in the process. I am a professional technical person who has worked in the software and hardware industry for over 20 years, I do know what I am doing. I have even documented each step and can easily reproduce the issues.
Issue 1
Studio One 4 starts up taking exclusive ownership of the audio interface. Even when the interface has been configured to "not allow exclusive" access. Which is a documented support procedure for this issue. Even when Studio One 4 has been configured to allow "background" audio - which is yet another support procedure for this issue. It is visible when you actually try to use audio in the background. It will fail when Studio One is in the foreground and active. It is visible when you minimize Studio One and attempt to access the Interface with a non PreSonus application. The audio release from studio one is by no means smooth.
Issue 2 -
Related to the fact that Studio One 4 is exclusively trying to take control of the audio device is when studio one is ended. The very same lagging release of the audio system occurs and in most cases will not completely release and render the interface useless in producing output on the system. I am sure there are some other tests that I can run, to help pin point the issue. However, I already know that the problem is Studio One 4 requiring exclusive access to the audio interface. I am surprised that it has not been fixed because it does break. But my guess is not enough people who buy the interfaces use the DAW and not enough people buy the DAW use the Interface. In the end, the brand is what looses. I have always had great respect for the PreSonus brand, and I'm by no means trying to disrespect the brand or anyone who works for PreSonus. I just know that I can not use the system as completely as I would like or expected with the combination DAW and Interface.

I thank you for reading, if you read this post. I needed to get my frustration out, for the 12+ hours that I spent with no conclusion..

Excuse Me: Is this where I brag???
Travelor's - :punk: Home Studio - Setup :shock:
Alienware Area-51m - Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
Razer Chrome and Mamba
Audio Interface: PreSonus Studio 192 (USB3) Using UC 3.0
Audio Monitors: Paired - PreSonus Eris E8
Primary Recording - Mixing: PH Reason v10 -
Secondary Recording: NI Maschine & StudioOne 4 Artist
Komplete Kontrol 61MK2
Nektar Panorama P6
Yamaha MX88 Ivo-Ebo
Line6 JTV-89F - Ruby
Strat MIM Tex-Mex - Hazel
Strat MIJ HSS - Creamy
by Travelor on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:30 pm
I am a PreSonus Fan and challenges like this have made me a Computer Tech Guru - So I am not done trying to figure this out. In the end hopefully we'll have a solution.
the saga continues -
I did submit a ticket and this was what the support technician suggest this morning:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025279231-Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10

I anticipated this and spent some time over the weekend trying to figure this out.
I did everything that is suggested/recommended in that article mentioned above. Including disabling Defender and firewalls and all visual settings of Windows. I was not willing to do a "fresh" wipe and reinstall of windows. I did do the next best thing, which is the creation of a new "Administrator" local User/Profile where I did all the above mentioned recommendation. Suffice it to say, the issue still remains.
1. The setting in Studio One "Release Audio Device in Background" is misleading and ranks with Microsoft's Windows Installation Message - "This will only take a moment" - The reality is "Check this box and Studio One will release "Exclusive" control of the Audio System when Minimized or not the "Active" window. I have not found a way to have iTunes playing Black Sabbath and launch Studio One to do some development and engineer of a 40 track template that I am designing for a project. It is a limitation of Studio One - It should be advertised as such.
2. The real issue - When Studio One is Minimized that release of exclusive mode either takes minutes to occur or fails rendering the audio system useless to any software use, including Studio One.
3. Found a New Path - The issue still points at the Drivers for the 192. I looked at the event logs and that's when I noticed an error. The error started when I did the UC 3.0 Update on 04/01 - The exact time that I did the update. Go figure a computer logging the exact moment it does something. - The sarcasm is dripping - In any case, there are multimer times this error occurs because there were multiple attempts at uninstalling and reinstalling the Drivers for the 192. Including attempts to use previous version 2.9, 2.10, and then 3.0 - As far as I can tell, the error indicates a couple things. It could be that the installation package is not complete and there is something missing in the installation of the driver - The error even uses the word "Ambiguous". The other indicator could be that the uninstall of the previous driver was not complete and that incomplete uninstall is preventing the installation of the new driver to complete.

Error Listed Below -

"Device Not Migrated"
Device TUSBAUDIO_ENUM\VID_194F&PID_0601&KS\STUB17060148 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: BOMEBUS\BomeMIDI\01
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFFFFFF122
Present: false

Be Blessed!!!
by matthewgorman on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 am
Not sure where you are with this. What you are describing is expected behavior. Most daws of this type are designed to take control of the audio interface when open and/or focused. When minimized, windows audio can use the interface. This is how it works on my system. I use Mixbus as a secondary daw, and it works the same. Its not the 192. It works this way in both daws with the 192, Series 3, RM16, and Firestudio Tube.

If there is a specific task you are trying to accomplish, myself or other users may be able to help. If you are trying to have music playing on the same computer while using S1, then it may be a good idea to look for a workaround.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Travelor on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 am
Matt,
I do really appreciate your response, and I understand that "some" DAW applications prefer to take "exclusive" control and purposely ignore the OS setting "don't give exclusive access to software". I've used a number of DAWs (Cubase, Maschine, Albleton, Reason, and Pro Tools) and Studio One is the first that I have encountered that takes control to the point of restricting any other app from accessing the audio system or interface. That is understandable and if PreSonus came out and specifically stated that this was the case I would not have as much an issue. However, there are a couple things that I am trying to point out in this thread.
1. PreSonus gives the impression that a user can completely remove the "exclusivity" of Studio One by checking the "Release the audio device in background" check box inside Studio One. This is much like an option or message one would get when talking to Microsoft. "Technically correct", but not what is actually happening and not necessarily in the same way a user might understand. Background suggests that apps in the background will have access to the audio system. I am not new to technology and I've worked with hardware/and software for many years. I have never seen this "exclusive" nature of a program before in other DAWs. I have worked in the program/development of apps that control hardware all types of hardware from Disk Drivers to CNC machines. All developers early in the process are confronted with the dilemma of how exclusively will they control the device, I've been involved in those discussions. The standard, is NO do not take control, because of the impact at the user level., Obviously Microsoft has seen a trend where audio application developers are or have taken the exclusive route, and are trying to force said developers into the standard that all other hardware/software developers have been using for quite a long time. 10 and maybe even as early as 5 years ago,
I could see why a DAW might need to take control of an audio interface. Giving the DAW greater control and minimizing the latency issue. However, in todays technology the latency issue really is not an issue, unless you're using older hardware. The software developer than should give the user the opportunity to make that choice, not give the user some arbitrary solution that really, does not work, at least not for me and my 192. Every session that I've done with Studio One has required me to reboot my PC and the 192 because the releasing of the audio system is not working. I do not have this problem when I using any other DAW.
2. Which is the second issue - Either there is a problem with the driver or with Studio One or both, that causes the Audio System to become unreliable and unusable. I can reproduce it every single session on my computer. When I try Minimize Studio One and go to play a video or listen to audio from a different source, it can take minutes for the audio system to become available to that source. When ending a Studio One Session I can pretty much guarantee that the audio system will become unstable, unresponsive, and unusable. Which then requires a reboot of both the 192 and the computer to to maintain confidence in the reliability hardware. This is the issue with my system, and maybe it is not the norm, but it is normal for me. I do have a ticket, and I am posting all the steps I'm taking in troubleshooting this issues, as well as doing whatever the PreSonus tech requires. and posting that here as well. I am hoping this will be profitable to someone else. I do plan to do a "solution" summary to make sure the "real" and needed details are in one post..
Believer me - I am a PreSonus fan, I want it to work, a little disappointed, but I do want it to work and I do like the Studio One workflow as it fits with the way I work, very much like the Reason workflow. I like the integration that the 192 brings with the fat channel and mixer control within the DAW. I just wish I didn't have to keep rebooting multiple times during a session.
I can still use the Fat Channel with any DAW, with Studio One the integration was the selling point for the 192, because I had played with Studio One and my previous Interface a Roland Octaccapture with no issues, I thought that moving to a PreSonus Software/Interface combo would be a great match.
Anyways, I can be a bit wordy, currently unemployed and recovering from a car accident.
Any help or insight you and the pros can offer is highly welcomed and appreciated..
Be Blessed!!!

Alienware Area-51m - Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
Razer Chrome and Mamba
Komplete Kontrol 61MK2
Nektar Panorama P6
Yamaha MX88 Ivo-Ebo
Line6 JTV-89F - Ruby
Strat MIJ HSS - Creamy
by matthewgorman on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:55 am
PreSonus gives the impression that a user can completely remove the "exclusivity" of Studio One by checking the "Release the audio device in background" check box inside Studio One. This is much like an option or message one would get when talking to Microsoft. "Technically correct", but not what is actually happening and not necessarily in the same way a user might understand. Background suggests that apps in the background will have access to the audio system.

Actually, the interpretation of Release audio device in background refers to Studio One being in the background, not apps running in the background.

I could see why a DAW might need to take control of an audio interface. Giving the DAW greater control and minimizing the latency issue. However, in todays technology the latency issue really is not an issue, unless you're using older hardware.

No matter the tech being used, Latency is always a consideration. As tech improves and resources on the PC are managed better, developers will take that additional bandwidth to improve the performance of their hardware/software.

The software developer than should give the user the opportunity to make that choice, not give the user some arbitrary solution that really, does not work, at least not for me and my 192. Every session that I've done with Studio One has required me to reboot my PC and the 192 because the releasing of the audio system is not working. I do not have this problem when I using any other DAW.
2. Which is the second issue - Either there is a problem with the driver or with Studio One or both, that causes the Audio System to become unreliable and unusable. I can reproduce it every single session on my computer. When I try Minimize Studio One and go to play a video or listen to audio from a different source, it can take minutes for the audio system to become available to that source. When ending a Studio One Session I can pretty much guarantee that the audio system will become unstable, unresponsive, and unusable. Which then requires a reboot of both the 192 and the computer to to maintain confidence in the reliability hardware.

I can say that this is the opposite of what I experience. If I minimize S1 and play something from Itunes, there is no lag or unreliability. If I have Itunes running, and open or maximize S1 or Mixbus, Itunes will pause. Minimize the daw, hit play in itunes, and I have audio.

I suspect that there is something else going on with your system. Step one for me when I have issues like this, is to run a test with latencymon. Its a freeware program that will diagnose, or attempt to diagnose, problems with your pc in processing live audio. On paper it may seem that a PC should have no problem, but I can see a few red flags in your equipment listing. (FYI: listing your equipment in your sig is not about bragging, its to help let other users know the environment you are working in).

You are using a pretty spec'ed out PC. I have certainly used less of a computer with success. However, it isn't just in the numbers. 12gb of ram is OK on paper, but I have seen issues with an odd number of ram "sticks". Most recommend that ram be installed in pairs. Sounds like you have 3 installed. That can cause problems with resource sharing.

The PC you have is an OEM windows installation? (HP?). HP and Dell are famous for bloatware installs of windows, with features running that you are not even aware of. This why a fresh install of windows is recommended many times. Fresh install is only a recommendation. I have not done that ever, unless building a PC with no OS.

I also see that your system uses a NVIDIA video card/drivers. NVIDIA and Windows 10 have not gotten along very well for a while now. A quick google will show you some of the problems related to audio work in this environment. It is imperative to update the NVIDIA drivers when Windows updates. I wouldn't fall into a trap of discounting the effect of video drivers on an audio application. From what I see, at least part of your problems could be related to this.

If all you are trying to accomplish is being able to switch between the daw and other applications, we can probably get you there, but there is also the basic understanding that you will not be able to access both at the same time.

Here is the link to latencymon. Install the app, power on the 192 and get it synced to the PC, then let latency mon run for a while like that. It will give a starting point to what steps to take.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Travelor on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 am
Matt,
I definitely appreciate your input and help on this. I did load the latency monitor software and low and behold, I was able to produce the KEY popping and clicking noises that are associated with the a latency issue. Noises that I can't reproduce if the software is not running. I may be on that edge where just one more track or one more plug-in will produce the latency audible. I definitely do not hear it with any of the recording that I create, not even with Studio One. I did kind of resolve the "playing in the background" question/issue and I would say it's a combination of misinterpretation on my end, and miscommunication on PreSonus's end. I say "kind of" because I still have an issue where I have to reboot my computer and 192 after using Studio One. Maybe it is my computer, but Studio One just will not release that driver properly and the audio system becomes useless and definitely not stable enough to depend on it for any session time. I do keep my system pretty up to date, with the drivers, including nVidia. I tend to lean toward the OCD mentality when it comes to updates. Which has gotten me in trouble as I have somewhat innocently, become the proverbial Guinee Pig playing with a with a razorblade.
The fact that a new Windows "user" profile with some of the "Audio Performance" recommendations implemented runs better than my current user profile with those same recommendations is an indicator. So I am going to take the time to put wipe and reset to a clean system.
There is a newish BIOS for my motherboard that I've held off installing. I don't normally do the BIOS because most BIOS releases are product ID releases that indicate their compatibility with newer CPUs released after the motherboard production. Which is the case of this BIOS, at least that is what is document in the release notes. However, that does not mean it doesn't include other bits not documented.
I will start with the BIOS update, then Win 10 Fresh Start Clean Install, then do the mother board device/installation then do the Windows Driver Update installation, saving PreSonus as the last piece to that clean install driver installs. That's when the time will be consumed with Alll the Office and Adobe Creator Product installations that I are pieces to the art that I like to create. The Adobe Creator Cloud products have become a source of new inspirations that keep me in my little studio and up until dawn playing and creating soundscapes that are hopefully visually oriented. Well at least that's what I am attempting to do. Some mornings I play back a session and it sounds like "Several Species of Furry Animals Gathered" around my Microphones and took control. But it took playing with those Furry Animals to make that "Money"
Thanks again!!
Blessings!!!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Razer Chrome and Mamba
Komplete Kontrol 61MK2
Nektar Panorama P6
Yamaha MX88 Ivo-Ebo
Line6 JTV-89F - Ruby
Strat MIJ HSS - Creamy
by matthewgorman on Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 pm
Before you shut S1 down, close universal control, then go to configure audio devices, choose none, then apply. Then go to file, exit. Do you have to restart the pc now to get audio?

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Travelor on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:55 pm
Matt,
Though not quite as prominent a delay as I had before, Having done a clean install there is still something happening within Studio One that just does not seem to like my computer. I guess. or do people just resign themselves to not having access to an external audio source? I haven't even started to play with the Native Instruments aspect and how native instruments does audio previewing with their software, outside of Studio One. Likely will be a problem. It would appear that Studio One just isn't going to do what I am hoping it would do. I don't think I wasted my time. I've learned and/or expanded my knowledge on Audio Drivers, Latency, Windows Performance, and become pretty efficient and familiar with the inner workings of Studio One. Below is the very basic test I did yesterday/overnight and the results. I'm going to put another hour or two into this and then call it quits for Studio One in my Studio. I can do what I want to do with other DAWS. The 192 is a solid interface and works with my other DAWs, which I've now got to install and configure. but I needed to clean up my computer anyways.

I appreciate your input and help. Hopefully one day, maybe when I get a new computer, I'll give it a shot and see what's up with Studio One.

If you can't play/watch a YouTube tutorial and follow along with the tutorial in the software that the Tutorial is about - What's the point of the tutorial?
I did a clean install of my Windows 10 computer without any "Factory HP" software installed with Up to Date Drivers -
I did a reboot after each of these steps below.
1. I installed my 192 and tested it working just fine. Issue with "Device Not Migrated" resolved - Also verified YouTube Video and Audio Work as Expected
2. Then I went into the Sound Panel and unchecked the "exclusive" and "enhanced" option for every Playback and Recording Input and Output on the 192.
3. Then I installed Studio One 4 and made sure that it can record and playback the recording - Verified that the "Exclusive" setting is unchecked in Device Setting inside Studio One
4. I then started a new Session, verified exclusive unchecked. I went out to YouTube and found a Tutorial on the PreSonus channel and tried to watch the video and I can not because Studio One is running in the background.

Razer Chrome and Mamba
Komplete Kontrol 61MK2
Nektar Panorama P6
Yamaha MX88 Ivo-Ebo
Line6 JTV-89F - Ruby
Strat MIJ HSS - Creamy
by Travelor on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:40 am
Well It would appear that now that not even Reason will work with my 192 - :( I went from Reason to the UC to turn to adjust the fat channel and input signal. I got a BSOD - :( Another unprofitable session with hardware that the support team can't even support.. Just slightly frustrated..

Razer Chrome and Mamba
Komplete Kontrol 61MK2
Nektar Panorama P6
Yamaha MX88 Ivo-Ebo
Line6 JTV-89F - Ruby
Strat MIJ HSS - Creamy
by Travelor on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:36 pm
Light at the end of this tunnel??
Fortunately I purchased a support warranty for my 192. So I called Sweetwater and gave them an ear full of my frustration. We came to the conclusion that there are definitely some issues with the PreSonus USB driver. It even now will randomly force a refresh of itself and that refresh would visible in Device Manager. After watching the refresh, through no action by me, inspecting new device that was now installed The only change was in the Signal Sample Rate kHz. Originally it would be 44.1, and after the random refresh in Device Manager it would be changed to 96 kHz. Or it would jump to 192 kHz. At which point it would be mismatched with the DAW and the UC Surface. So, now I know where to look for the problem, it is a little easier to live with this 192. I am going to give the current setup some time to settle. It does appear that once I make the "recommended" changes to the refreshed devices, the changes remain. So if it goes from 41 to 48 and then back to 41 the changes are kept intact.

I will be documenting and posting the steps that finally made a dent and a semi-resolution to the issue. I'll post a new thread so as to not bore people with my fits of frustration. I do appreciate your patience with me as well.

Happy Friday!!!

Razer Chrome and Mamba
Komplete Kontrol 61MK2
Nektar Panorama P6
Yamaha MX88 Ivo-Ebo
Line6 JTV-89F - Ruby
Strat MIJ HSS - Creamy
by johngunzenhauser on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 am
Matt and Travellor
Just purchased a Dell with OEM Windows 10 and getting the same error that speakers and mic were not migrating and are in fact ambiguous. Device USB/VID requires further installation. Found variations in bit depth as well. Changed with no success.
My wife was a software consultant pre Win10, and we just found your post. Any updates are appreciated! This laptop was purchased specifically for recording with the presonus audio box 96. TIA.
by Bbd on Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 pm
Don't know if this can help but I am running S1 and have no issue switching between S1 and YouTube videos. I make sure my Windows audio matches S1/UC.

https://www.screencast.com/t/MCntuOVfoX

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by davidbarrow on Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 pm
Does Presonus even make the 12 unit anymore? Sweetwater doesn't sell them and they won't give me a straight answer. What hapened?

13 posts
Page 1 of 1