Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I'm considering one of these interfaces but I've read conflicting reviews / views about the RTL (round trip latency).

I would use one of these on a REAL mac such as "Mac Mini 8700B" or iMac 2020 or iMac Pro 8 core or a "tosh" possibly.

Windows could be used as well (either or) Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 x64.

The Studio 192 is USB 3.0 but many people struggled with this so they used USB 2.0 - Which doesn't lose out on latency but does lose out on bandwidth but the channel count is low enough anyway on the Studio 192 for USB 2.0 to work.

Having said that, does the Studio 192 work with macOS / 10.11 (El Capitan) with the USB 3.0 drivers? properly? or is it a later version?

My preference on Mac would be no later than 10.14 (Mojave) but at a push I'd have to use Catalina on iMac 2020 / Intel 10th gen processors.

Any helpful info please specifically

I presume Windows 8.1 / 10 would be totally OK with this too?

Another user on another forum commented the DSP's on Studio 192 add some latency (circa 4 ms).

What is the lowest latency achieved here? Please some users step forward with some great news (hopefully).

Presumably again a CPU with good clock speed would help to achieve that lower latency?

Any helpful info on this is a must - :lol: - Thanks

PS - Please don't say get a Quantum (I already have one - :lol: ) - Thanks
by frazfraz on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:21 pm
OK no reply here at all !

I've read about another user obtaining sub 5 ms
by mycbeats on Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:03 pm
On my 192, At 64 sample buffer at 48kHz, Studio One is reporting 7ms of round trip latency and 9ms at 128 samples, this demonstrates the effect of the DSP since technically the numbers should be closer to half of each other.

The DSP does add a couple ms of latency. if you want the absolute lowest, you should look into the Quantum line which skips all the DSP and internal routing. That would net you well under 4ms at 64 samples. (I think my friend with one said at 32 samples Studio One even reports "~0" because its so low. and he's even had to increase it on occasion because it would cause phasing with the artists head voice lol.)

Because I don't have Thunderbolt and the caliber of clients I record, 7ms round trip is more than enough for me, (hell the average focusrite 2i2 home recorder is always impressed with it lol).
But those accustomed to an HDX rig will find it too much and should go with the Quantum.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation

3 posts
Page 1 of 1