A place to share your Notion files
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is my recording of Gerald Finzi's Eclogue, Op. 10. It was intended to be the middle movement of a piano concerto, but was incomplete at the time of the composer's death. It was completed by Howard Ferguson and published.

This recording is completely Notion instruments. NTempo was used extensively for humanization, as well as careful adjustment of note lengths and start and stops. there was Passive EQ on the piano, and all instruments were sent through VSL Hybrid Reverb for spatialization, with some PSP Audio Vintage Warmer applied for some analog warmth.

With the exception of the final chord, which I don't care for at all, I think Notion's own piano does very well.

Let me know what you think, it's a long one at about 10:00 minutes, but thanks for listening!

phpBB [video]

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by jasonchildress on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:41 pm
I think you've made the Notion piano sound better, which is something I'm really trying to do right now as well--can you tell me more about the effect you used? Is it a Notion effect, or something else?

For much of the piece I was really enjoying the music. Then the heavy strings came in, and they sounded (especially in the chords) a bit "computer-y" I'm afraid. This, of course, is to be expected from Notion strings: they're not really meant to sound super-real.

Can I ask why you didn't use VSL strings for this piece? I find them much warmer and more authentic than Notion's strings, and I use them for most of my string parts.

Nice job on the piano though...I hope to achieve something like this.

And thanks for continuing to introduce me to new composers through your work! :)

Currently using Notion 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro (desktop - OS X 10.9.2, 32GB RAM) and 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.1).
by michaelmyers1 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 pm
Jason, thanks for listening. To answer your questions, I used a piano patch in NI Passive EQ for the piano. It has a bit of mid and low boost, i think. That and feeding it through the VSL Hybrid Reverb was the only effect I used on it. Notion's piano is pretty good, really.

Notion strings are not the greatest. I never use them for finished recordings, but I generally always use them when I'm first transcribing a piece because I don't have to worry about plugins etc., and it keeps the files sizes light. It's just easier, and "neutral". Then usually when the transcription is complete I will decide which direction I want to go. For this piece, I eventually used Spitfire Chamber Strings and VSL Bosendorfer piano. I haven't posted the final version because, although it's been complete for a couple months at least, I'm not quite happy with it. I just listened to it again the other night and it still isn't quite right.

Finzi was really a great composer. I recorded his Prelude and released it as a single a couple month back. You can listen to it here:

phpBB [audio]

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by jasonchildress on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 am
That prelude sounds very good--much better than the eclogue.

I didn't realize the eclogue was a rough version (you might want to mention that when you post, so people like me don't make fools of themselves commenting on it). ;)

Currently using Notion 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro (desktop - OS X 10.9.2, 32GB RAM) and 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.1).
by michaelmyers1 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 pm
Thanks, Jason, I issued the Prelude a couple of months ago as a single. Rereading this post, I think I'll get back to work on the Eclogue!

macOS Ventura 13.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

5 posts