A place to share your Notion files
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Still trying to capture the magic. In some places I feel I briefly make contact with it, but to do what I really want to do, I think I will need to expand beyond Notion's capabilities.

Comments welcome...thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/jason-w-childres ... of-forever

Currently using Notion 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro (desktop - OS X 10.9.2, 32GB RAM) and 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.1).
by diegourena on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:23 pm
Hey bro!

I don't know why others haven't given you feedback? This is really good work! I literally had a smile on my face while I was listening to your piece. Very creative and I totally caught the magic in this piece. I'm not sure what else your trying to do but it's great sounding!

I do think the chimes are a bit over used on some places. Chimes are a very magical (Disney) sound but only when used sparingly. Just my musical opinion. Is this sample library only Notion? If so I'm very impressed with your work! (I'm impressed angways) also was the choir from notion as well? I was under the impression that notion didn't offer choir?

Would love to hear a bit more insight of the tune and what you were thinking while making this piece!

Great Job again!

Diego
by jasonchildress on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:32 pm
diegourena wroteHey bro!

I don't know why others haven't given you feedback? This is really good work! I literally had a smile on my face while I was listening to your piece. Very creative and I totally caught the magic in this piece. I'm not sure what else your trying to do but it's great sounding!

I do think the chimes are a bit over used on some places. Chimes are a very magical (Disney) sound but only when used sparingly. Just my musical opinion. Is this sample library only Notion? If so I'm very impressed with your work! (I'm impressed angways) also was the choir from notion as well? I was under the impression that notion didn't offer choir?

Would love to hear a bit more insight of the tune and what you were thinking while making this piece!

Great Job again!

Diego

Hi Diego,

Thank you very much for your kind words: I really appreciate them, and my ego desperately needs them. ;)

Thanks for the feedback on the chimes...I agree they should be used sparingly, and I will take that good input into consideration going forward.

In addition to Notion, I also used a few other libraries for this composition: Kontakt 5 (for brass and percussion), Vienna Symphonic Library (for strings), Soundiron Olympus Elements (choir), and Soundiron Mercury Elements (boys' choir).

As for what I was thinking when I composed the piece: I wanted to evoke something "magical" sounding, in the style of my favorite film composer, John Williams. For me, John's themes often stir feelings of a sort of childhood wonder--when we still believed in magic--and I'm always trying to learn how to capture this sound.

That was my starting point, anyway! From there the music sort of "took over" and I began leap-frogging from one genre to another, like I usually do, creating a medley or "suite" of various styles. I do this to get practice with different "film-score-sounding" genres, and transitioning between them.

At around 3:40, just for fun, I flicked in the "Wonder Woman" theme, from the 1970s TV show. I like doing random stuff like that.

Diego, thanks again for your interest in my work! It's great to know people like it. :)

Currently using Notion 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro (desktop - OS X 10.9.2, 32GB RAM) and 2010 MacBook Pro (OS X 10.9.1).

3 posts
Page 1 of 1