A place to share your Notion files
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone from Spain.
Please, excuse my poor English.
My name is Manolo Rosa, I´m a spanish musician who has been using Notion since version 4.
This is my first approach to VST instruments and rules.

I recently bought the Xsample Player Edition Part 6.
I doubted between the version for Kontakt and the Player; I know that Kontakt version is more versatile and complet, but I do not have Kontakt and I have no experience with it.

My experience with Player Edition is good. They are quality samples and with the rules file included (I had to tweak them a bit at my convennience), it´s possible to use with Notion easily.

I need to go deeper with the rules, it´s an amazing tool.

It´s a micropiece I´ve written for a collaboration with a painter artist friend of mine.
Made with Notion 6, Xsample PE Part 6 and not post editing (except Notion´s reverb).
It´s called "Una carta" ("A letter").
I think it´s an acceptable result.
phpBB [audio]

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

I thank this community for all that I learned in the forums.
Thank you very much.
Best regards.
Manolo Rosa
by michaelmyers1 on Sat May 06, 2017 11:19 am
Manolo, this sounds very good! I personally think it could use a touch more reverb; The instruments are very very dry, but that's a matter of taste.

The library sounds great. Would be nice to hear more techniques (pizzicato, tremolo, con sordino, etc.). Also, are any parameters addressable, such as vibrato?

It seems fairly pricy, about comparable to Spitfire Sacconi Quartet. A bit different intent.

Thanks for sharing!

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
Thank you very much for your nice comment, Michael.

Yes, I understand what you tell about reverb, because I´m always in two minds: little reverb for more "realism" but to dry, or more reverb for more "presence" but more "masked sounds".
i never know what to do :)
I think you are rigth, it is too dry. I´ll try to add a little more reverb.

I´ve planned to make another strings work with the techniques you´ve named.

The parameters addressable are (for solo or ensemble):
-natural vibrato
-spiccato
-tremolo
-harmonics
-senza vibrato
-pizzicato
-Bartok pizzicato
-col legno
I can use in Notion all of them except Bartok pizz (no sign in Notion for this) and spiccato (but spiccato is not very far from to staccato, no problem with this).

Yes, I think I understand what you´re saying about "fairly pricy" compared with the quality and possibilities of Spitfire Sacconi Quartet (it´s amazing!, but I can not afford it); for my budget 119€ for the Xsample strings is a very good value for the money.

Thank you very much, Michael, I really appreciatte your comments.
Best regards.
Manolo.
Sorry, Michael, I think I don´t understand well the expression "parameters addressable".

The list I told you is about "Playing style/switch" (correspondences with: keyswitch/controller/program change/ midi channel).
I don´t work with a master keyboard and I don´t know if they can be manipulable from it.
I use them like "fixed techniques", I wish I knew how to manipulate them from Notion.

Best regards.
by michaelmyers1 on Mon May 08, 2017 10:23 pm
juanmanuelrosaescribano wroteSorry, Michael, I think I don´t understand well the expression "parameters addressable".

The list I told you is about "Playing style/switch" (correspondences with: keyswitch/controller/program change/ midi channel).
I don´t work with a master keyboard and I don´t know if they can be manipulable from it.
I use them like "fixed techniques", I wish I knew how to manipulate them from Notion.

Best regards.

Manolo, what I meant was can you address things like vibrato, dynamics, attack, release, etc...

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

by juanmanuelrosaescribano on Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 am
Hello, Michael.
Like I said, I do not have enough experience with VST, you know, although after reading the manual and various tests, this is what I know so far about your question:

-The ADSR parameters can´t be addressed to Notion, at least to my knowledge. It would great if they could be.
-The vibrato, non vibrato, col legno, etc, are used like techniques in the Notion entry palette, they can´t be manipulated (at least to my knowledge, too).
-The dynamics are used in the Notion usual way (entry palette).

I don´t know if you can make changes to these parameters using a master keyboard.

Thanks to your observation I am seeing how important it would be to be able to modify from Notion the oscillation in the vibrato. Do you know if this is possible with other VST like Kontatk libraries, or only it´s possible with other samples with different vibratos?

Well, excuse my poor English, please.
Best regards.
by juanmanuelrosaescribano on Tue May 09, 2017 11:33 am
Sorry, again I need to add some data to my last mail.

The only way I know to "control" vibrato is with round/random/total robin options, selectable in the Xsample Player.
by michaelmyers1 on Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 pm
Manolo, of the solo strings libraries I own, Embertone, Kirk Hunter Spotlight Series and Spitfire Sacconi Strings all have adjustable vibrato control, which can be accessed from Notion via a sequencer staff that has recorded CC Control Data.

This is a single I just released using Spitfire Sacconi Strings, the vibrato is very apparent:

phpBB [audio]

macOS Sonoma 14.4
JBL LSR310S subwoofer

Hi, Michael.

This is a fine job of string quartet writing, really good! Congratulations on your musical skills.

Sacconi Spitfire it´s impressive, great samples.
I see that the vibrato control is a very important thing.

I did not know the sequencer staff feature, thanks.

------------------------------

And... well, finally, the answer to address vibrato in Xsample Player Edition is yes.
And, yes, it´s on the manual, clearly, but not for me.

This appears in the adjustable Player funtions (GUI):
6) Controller selection for
intensity control of vibrato (LFO) (mod-wheel/aftertouch/velocity)
7) The aim of the modulation (LFO), pitch,
volume (expression) or pan.
In the „Pitch“ position we recommend a
metered use for natural sounding results.
8) Selecting the LFO waveform
for the vibrato
9) Adjusts the speed of the LFO

9 posts
Page 1 of 1