A place to share your Notion files
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Re-recorded this piece using a combination of Notion instruments (Drums, Banjo and Saxes) and VSL Pro instruments for the remainder. Mixed using Vienna MIRPro with VSL Hybrid Reverb for the early convolution and late analog reflections.

Feedback always welcome!

phpBB [audio]

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by thorrild on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 am
It just get s better and better! I like your approach to the music, close to what I think it should be. A couple of minor quibbles for your consideration:

• I hear the second sax as louder than the melody sax at the beginning, and at the end, the lovely trumpet melody (so obviously not Notion's!) is also overshadowed by the sax.
• On the final note, the trumpet decrescendos so beautifully, but the sax stays pretty much at volume.
• When the piano has chords on 2 and 4 (the pah of oom-pah), I think it would crisp up the texture if those chords were staccato senza pedale.

This is such oddly delicate music — it is perhaps possible to tinker with it for years. I admire all your work to give it what it deserves.

Best,
Finn

27" iMac 2016; OS 10.12.6
13" MacBook Pro 2017 OS 10.12.6
by michaelmyers1 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:20 pm
Finn, excellent comments, and thanks for listening. After listening to it again myself with your comments in mind, I think you nailed it on all of them. It never ceases to surprise me that no matter how many times I listen with my ears, it's always helpful to have feedback from someone else's!

The saxes (as I think you know) are hard to tame in this piece (and the balance of the suite as well). I like the saxes from Notion, since they give one the option of jazz or orchestral saxophones. I've used the orchestral in the entire suite. My thinking is that Weill wrote this suite for the more "serious" concert venues (if any would have it) as opposed to the accompaniment for the musical production, which I imagine might have been more rough-and tumble and gritty, or "jazzy".

That was my approach, anyway. So I chose the orchestral saxes as more "finished".

Once I get the basic sound colors down, I'll start applying them to the other movements. I can't wait to get to KanonenSong...

Say what you will about the Notion trumpet, but I really wanted to try the flutter tongue somewhere in the suite. Still haven't found quite the place for it. It makes me laugh just listening to it...

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

3 posts