4 posts
Page 1 of 1
sorry, new to subs. if i connect a sub via the sub out on ceres 4.5BT and turn the volume up on speakers, does the sub volume increase aswell?

i'm guessing it doesn't and it has to be done manually at the back of the sub everytime i change the speaker volume, right? (i really hope the volume goes up with the speakers, as it's a bit of a pain balancing the speakers and sub volume everytime i increase the speaker vol, but suspect that isn't the case)

thanks
by SwitchBack on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:34 am
The sub volume will change with the Ceres speaker's input level.

The controls on the back of the Ceres allow you to set the balance between tops and subs. Once set correctly for the conditions at hand (room, listening position, ...) you shouldn't have to do much with them.

You may want to wiki 'audio crossover' to learn more about the way a signal is distributed across tops and subs.
by jamesfrench on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:13 am
great news, cheers. just a bummer that the ceres don't have a low frequency cut off like the eris 4.5 do. thanks again
by jamesfrench on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:39 am
SwitchBack wroteThe sub volume will change with the Ceres speaker's input level.

The controls on the back of the Ceres allow you to set the balance between tops and subs. Once set correctly for the conditions at hand (room, listening position, ...) you shouldn't have to do much with them.

You may want to wiki 'audio crossover' to learn more about the way a signal is distributed across tops and subs.

i'm getting a little lost with all the terminologies on the wiki stuff about audio crossovers. maybe you can just clarify for me (a complete noob with subs)...

i thought that the speakers (ceres 4.5BT) needed a switch to cut off the low frequencies (at say; 100Hz) before the signal is sent to the sub, which you then set the sub to pick up the low freq's from where the speakers are set (100Hz onwards), thus relieving the speakers of the low freq strain.

however, is it possible to connect a sub via the sub out port and by altering the crossover point on the sub, have the low freq's taken away from the speakers at a variable rate? does that make sense!? ie does the sub feed back to the speakers the point at which it is set and still relieve them of the low freq's?

i thought that the ceres 4.5BT's having a frequency response of 20kHz to 70Hz, i would just set the sub crossover point to 70Hz to achieve full range. but i thought that was it, that that was the only freq crossover point i could have. so, is this not the case? ideally i'd like to have the speakers relieved of low freq's past 100Hz or even 120Hz, is this possible?

sorry to repeat the point, just trying to make myself clear. BTW, the sub i'm looking at (M-Audio SBX10) only has a crossover point dial. no hpf to passives or lpf (or is the crossover the same as a lpf?)

anyways, thanks in advance if you do choose to clarify for me.

EDIT: or am i way off, and the only way to alter the bass is via the low tuning control on the back of the ceres?

4 posts
Page 1 of 1