3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I presently have Eris E8's for a 5.0 configuration (L, C, R, SL, SR) and have a new Oppo 103D which has 7.1 audio outputs. So I would like to add the SBL and SBR chanels (Surround Back Left and Surround Back Right).

The Ceres 4.5 would be perfect for this, but the problem is that my arrangement has the listening position against the back wall. So there is no place "behind" the listening position for the SBL and SBR channels. In reading through AVS Forum recommendations, several users have suggested positioning the SBL/SBR channels on the floor pointing up. My situation can indeed accommodate this, the issue is just the positioning of the Ceres's.

Since the Ceres's are back ported, and the cable connections are in the back, I can't place the Ceres directly on the floor (nor would I want to). So I need some sort of stand or spacer to get it up off of the floor and damping material on my hardwood floor to prevent interactions with the back port.

Although a few bricks and some foam would work, I was hoping for something more sophisticated/durable.

Likewise, there are a series of screws holding the Ceres backplate on. If those were machine threads, I had thought about removing 4 screws and using those with 6" long bolts and rubber feet to act as standoffs.

Does anyone have recommendations/comments on positioning the Ceres' on the floor pointing up?

Thanks,

Scott
by rnaqvi on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:22 pm
Actually your idea about removing the screws and replacing them with longer ones and rubber feet is a great idea. The rubber feet will give you some absorption so they don't vibrate against the floor.

Rick Naqvi
VP of Sales, PreSonus Audio Electronics
http://www.presonus.com
by scottnelson on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:17 am
Originally I had though of using a hanger bolt. A hanger bolt has wood-screw threads on one end and machine-screw threads on the other end (and I could screw an isolation pad into the other end). However, I found that this didn't offer enough lateral support -- basically a 4" hanger bolt had too much of a lever-arm and might rip out.

I came up with two possible solutions: (1) screw-in shaker peg (Amazon# B001DT2YWO) or (2) position horizontally under the couch and point at the corner.

For the screw-in shaker pegs, I would have also needed some rubber feet on the bottom. But in the end, while I was on the floor I noticed that I had more space than I thought and could position the Ceres horizontally and point them at the trihedral corner (side-wall, back-wall, hardwood floor).

My wife and I watched Sherlock Holmes last night (Robert Downey Jr., movie #1) and the back effect worked quite well (SBL, SBR). The scene in the prison when Holmes and Blackwood were talking was most pronounced (Blackwood's voice moves around the room from speaker to speaker). I jumped when his voice was right behind me.

Thanks,

Scott

3 posts
Page 1 of 1