StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
18 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey guys,

Didn't find this answer by searching, but apologies if I didn't search for the right thing!

My question is, would it be possible to use the built-in EFX units to create a send for delay speakers that follows the main mix?

Normally, I'd put the delay on a subgroup, tap it's direct out and disable it's routing to the main mix.

Any advice is appreciated!

I'm Ben, a freelance audio engineer specializing in Live Sound and Location Recording in Milwaukee, WI
http://www.StudiotoGo.com
by SwitchBack on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:01 pm
I think some of the auxes have a delay option on them. My guess is that those are the ones you will be able to designate as subgroup outputs with the upcoming firmware update. until then you can set those auxes to post with all mix faders at say 0dB for a copy of the main mix with delay option.
by rnaqvi on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:19 pm
The last four aux outputs of each of the RM Mixers have output delays for running delay stacks for speakers.

To access them, all you have to do is select an Aux and then select the flex fader.

The delay setting will be shown in the Fat channel on the left hand side.

Then, just make sure that aux is set to POST and it will follow the main mix.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Rick Naqvi
VP of Sales, PreSonus Audio Electronics
http://www.presonus.com
by mamerica on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:24 pm
On the RM16, Aux 5, 6, 7 and 8 have a delay line. It might be different on the RM32. In order to see it, you need to select the Flex Fader while in one of those aux layers. To use it for delay stacks you would have to set that aux to Post Fader so it follows the mix. It will not follow the Main fader though.

I think they're planning on making the delays assignable in the future. When they add the planned Sub-Mixes, you could use them there. Ideally, you would be able to assign a delay to the Mono output. That would follow the main fader.

RM16AI; StudioLive 16.4.2 AI;
MacBook Pro; MacMini;
Studio One Proffesional; FaderPort
Waves MultiRack
by benhohenstein on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 am
Thanks for the quick responses all!

I had assumed that all auxes behaved the same, so I didn't bother looking at the Fat channel for anything other than Aux 1.

Super helpful!

I'm Ben, a freelance audio engineer specializing in Live Sound and Location Recording in Milwaukee, WI
http://www.StudiotoGo.com
by robare99 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:54 am
Like.
by Scimitar on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:36 am
An old thread, I know......

Just wondering how people are routing a "Main Mix" to Aux outs for driving Delay stacks.

Is there a simpler way than having to create an independent aux mix (all set to post fader of course) on the delayed aux outs?

StudioOne Pro
16.4.2 Classic, FS Mobile, FS Project, Faderports
RM32Ai, RM16Ai, CS18Ai,
328Ai, 315Ai, 18sAi,
by Karyn on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:23 am
Yes, you can now assign aux outputs as sub groups. Select the Aux you wish to use, select the Flex Fader to access the controls and assign as a sub. The faders will blank... touch all the channels you want included in that sub. Deselect the Mono and Main as outputs, apply output delay as required.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by Scimitar on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:56 am
Thanks Karyn

I actually did some more reading in the manuals (RTFM!) and found it.
One just has to remember to also go back into the Sub-Group / Aux edit screen and select the channels that need to feed into the sub-group, including the Fx if you want that in the delay stacks.

I am assuming that as soon as the respective aux out is selected as a sub-group, it automatically switches to post fader, which would be logical.

StudioOne Pro
RM32Ai, RM16Ai, CS18Ai,
328Ai, 315Ai, 18sAi,
by Scimitar on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 am
The only remaining snag, as I see it, is that the delay send does not follow the main fader. Not a major issue, as I don't generally touch the master output fader much during a show, but, if I do, I need to remember to also adjust the delay stack aux out too.

Am I missing something?

StudioOne Pro
RM32Ai, RM16Ai, CS18Ai,
328Ai, 315Ai, 18sAi,
by wahlerstudios on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 pm
True, if there ever is the need to move the main fader, you have to manually adjust the delay line outputs. Therefore I place the delay line (usually one with fullrange speakers left and right) so that I can still physically hear them at FOH. During soundcheck I adjust the balance between PA and delay line and may goal is that the audience, seated in the delay line area, gets the impression to listen to what happens on stage. It is easy to keep this acoustical setting in mind and if there needs to be a volume change, I can easily "restore" the setting. An alternative is to let somebody competent control this with an iPad.

Time delays are available only on the four last physical auxes of the RM mixers, which is aux 5 to 8 on the RM/RML16AI and aux 13 to 16 on the RM/RML32AI.
by timovaniterson on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:32 am
At the moment i'm not in the near oft my own RM32.
Can someone check, if it's possible to assign main and the groups (for delay, sidefill) in a DCA?

i think, thast would be solve the problems with manually adjustments....
by wahlerstudios on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 am
DCA groups can only handle input channels (1-64), FX returns A-D, Tape In and Digital Return (Dig Ret). You need to switch to "Mix Masters" to control all aux sends, subgroups and FX sends. The faders for Mono and Main are always available on the RM mixers/UC Surface and CS18AI, which is a great feature. There is no need to "double" them as DCA groups, I would say...
by Friedhelm on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:56 am
Hi!
let me dig out an old thread with an additional question:
If i want to do some subgroup mixing, the assignment of a delay stack gets a bit trickier.
The reason is you can assign any channel to a group, but not another subgroup, which means the processing on the subgroups does not appear in the delay line.
Has anyone a workaround for this, other than hardwiring the mono output into a free input?

Happy new Year everyone!

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon
by SwitchBack on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:19 am
You can use auxes, set to post fader. With all aux mix faders set to 0dB you get a copy of the main mix, but you can tweak to your heart’s delight. :)
by Friedhelm on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:02 am
sometimes i use aux instead of subgroups for delay line, but subgroup processing is not heard in auxes too, because the connection is post fader, not post subgroups...

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:56 pm
The solution is called "matrix mix", but unfortunately matrix mixes are available only for the Series III mixers. Any of the sixteen "flex mixes" can be used -- alternatively in any combination -- as Aux, Sub or Matrix and additionally there are four mono/two stereo subgroups available. All twenty flex/sub mixes have full processing, 6-band parametric equalizer and delay. A matrix mix contains all available flex mixes (auxes and subgroups only), the four "fixed" subgroups, the stereo Main mix, all inputs (1-32), FX returns A-D, Aux In 1+2, Tape In/Digital Return and Talkback. This makes it very easy to feed delay lines. Create a stereo matrix mix and rise the Main input fader, set the matix mix to post fader, set delay time, adjust and overall volume on the matrix master. The levels are now "coupled" (delay line follows Mains fader).

The matrix mixes are a phantastic tool, but they need a lot of processing power, which the RM mixers simply do not have any more. You will need to consider the physical outputs of the Series III mixers. Only the SL32 and 32R offer the complete range of inputs and outputs. The 16R has only one DSP chip inside; it can not be used as 32 inputs/16 auxes mixer like a RM16AI.
by cliffordmeyer on Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:22 pm
Select any aux mix 13 thru 16, then press Mix Master. Then on the aux mix channel strip press select. Now go to the touch screen and press the gear icon and the delay screen will appear. It's self explanatory from there

18 posts
Page 1 of 1