StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
75 postsPage 1 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
Hi everyone, I wanted to alert you to an issue that was discovered with the latest iOS 8.3. It seems that on the iPad Air and Air 2 UC Surface experiences crashes. Unfortunately, we don't get prior notice for iOS updates so there's no way for us to stay ahead of the curve with potential issues. A quick web search will show that we aren't the only ones experiencing app crashes with iOS 8.3. Many other apps are seeing this on Air and Air 2 iPads. Our development team is looking into the issue and if it's something we can fix we'll have an update available as soon as possible.

As usual, we highly recommend NOT updating any operating system on your devices before first confirming with us that there are no known issues.

We'll post again here with any updates on a fix.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by basmeijer on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:48 am
Thanks for the information. So I am lucky, I only updated my iPad 2 to iOS 8.3, not the iPad Air which is still on 8.2.

iOS 8.3 addressed a some WiFi connection issues. I was considering to update both my iPads immediately because I have experienced quite some connection issues with UC but the iPad Air was in use all the time and not able to be updated.

What is the strategy that PreSonus has in mind with the iOS update process? When it is safe to update, will PreSonus inform the iPad users somehow about this and show the green light at some point after a release? Can this be arranged by email also, for registered customers?
by john_kaufman on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:16 pm
UC is crashing frequently when I am connected and setting up scenes on my iPad Mini Retina with 8.3 - usually when adjusting levels.

(2) 32R | (2) 328AI | (2) 18sAI | (2) ULT15 | (2) QSC K12 | (2) QSC K10.2 | (20+) Shure's & Sennheiser's - wired and wireless | (2) iPad 2017 | (4) iPod 6 Touch | (2) MacBook Pro | Full Ubiquiti WiFi Mesh setup | (1) Furman 20AMP Power Conditioner | Bunch of F34 Truss and DMX Lights | 16x12' Stage | (1) Box Truck and (1) Billion cables.
by stingray1122 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:44 pm
john_kaufman thanks for the report. We'll check out the iPad Mini Retina with 8.3 also.

basmeijer, the fix will be in the next release of UC Surface (1.3). We'll post here when the fix is available. Also since 1.3 is a big release there will likely be an email blast as well.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by Luiz Ronconi on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:45 am
Problems too.... :cry:
by joshuawinn on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:27 am
I'm wishing this forum post had instead (or also) been an email to all registered users of these products. The same evening as the original post (the April 13th), I had an embarrassing situation at a press conference for a Fortune 500 company, which would have been avoided if this had gone out as an email.

I've learned my lesson - to not update my iOS until the update is approved for UC Surface. I'll second the suggestion that there be somewhere on your site where we can check the status of testing on the latest iOS.
by mcoull on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:16 pm
Any news on a fix for this? Seems it's near impossible to downgrade the iPad once it's upgraded. I have a band member who updated and can't downgrade his iPad Air. Now I need to find him another solution for Friday's gig! Help us!

Studio Live RM32ai
Studio Live 16.4.2 Classic
Firebox
Studio One 2 Pro
Mac Book Pro 15" - (mid 2014) 2.5GHz i7, 16GB (Recording)
Gateway DX4850 PC - i5-2300, 2.80GHz, 6GB, FW800 card (Playback, S1 Pro)
HP Pavillion All-in-one - AMD A10-7800/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (UC Surface)
iPad (3) (UC Surface), iPod (5) (Qmix)
by illinidan on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:14 am
@mcoull, you can search the web for "how to downgrade ios", or check out this guide: http://mashable.com/2014/09/24/how-to-d ... ios-8-0-1/

The version numbers are different, but the process is the same. There are several sites where you can download the older iOS versions for your device(s). This is the one mentioned in that guide: http://www.idownloadblog.com/download/

Hope that works for your band member before tomorrow night!

Dan B
StudioLive RM16ai
StudioLive 312AI (x2), 18sAI
Studio One 2 Pro
FaderPort
MacBook Air 13" - (mid 2013) 1.5GHz i5, 4 GB (Recording/Mobile)
Mac Mini i7 8GB (Mixing/Studio)
iPad 2 and iPad Air 2 (UC Surface), iPhone 6 Plus (Qmix)
Guitar, Bass, Vocal, Harmonica, All-around Audio Geek
by Luiz Ronconi on Thu May 14, 2015 12:01 pm
For the love of God.. WE NEED A UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
by Jaspervanwesten on Mon May 18, 2015 4:23 am
I understand as a product manager how difficult this is. But if you have a product where your customers are highly dependent on the use of an iPad.
Do not wait for the next version. bug fix would be nice. :?
by brianmcaloon on Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm
This seems to have helped UC Surface stabilize on my iPad Air running IOS 8.3

1. I turned off Multitasking gestures unde the general tab. I closed all open apps.

It stopped crashing but did crash when I got a Facebook, email, or text notification dropping down from the top. It crashed when I got a low battery alert as well.

2. I turned on Airplane mode, reconnected to my network (not sure if I needed to do that but I did) and closed all other open apps.

It hasn't crashed since I changed these settings and running like a charm. Hopefully this lasts. I only spent about half an hour fiddling around with it.

Let me know if any of you try this and see how it works out.
by brianmcaloon on Tue May 26, 2015 6:10 pm
I also disabled Bluetooth on my iPad Air 8.03.
by Karyn on Wed May 27, 2015 1:52 am
brianmcaloon wrote
2. I turned on Airplane mode, reconnected to my network (not sure if I needed to do that but I did) and closed all other open apps.

Doesn't airplane mode turn off all the wireless? How did you reconnect to your network?

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by Jaspervanwesten on Wed May 27, 2015 2:32 am
I still have problems when i use fader PreAmp box. :thumbdown:
by basmeijer on Wed May 27, 2015 2:32 pm
Thanks for sharing your findings, Brian! Maybe it helps solving the stability issues in the next UC surface version.

Karyn, when in Airplane mode on an iPad with cellular capabilities, you can again enable WiFi and connect to the dedicated network. This way there are no messages coming in if this network of course has no connection to the WAN. And at the same time some battery power is saved.
by rasmusholm on Wed May 27, 2015 3:23 pm
Thanks for the Work around - will test it soon...

Until this is fixed, I am also having a PC along - but all this equipment...
by brianmcaloon on Thu May 28, 2015 8:06 pm
When I turn on airplane mode it turns off wifi. I can turn on wifi right away. I'm not using a house network. My own wifi as well.
by richardschiemer on Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 am
I always carry a network cable and hard wire the iPad when I start having issues, not a great fix, but it keeps me stable during a gig. I also find rebooting everything seems to reset it.
by Tony on Sat May 30, 2015 10:59 pm
Just bought an Ipad Air 2 a few days ago as my old Ipad 2 is getting old and unreliable. First thing I tested was UC Surface that kept crashing and so I turn to google and wind up here on this forum thread

Does anybody know a time frame for when either Presonus will release a new version of UC or apple will be releasing 8.4? as I'm desperate with one unreliable Ipad and now a brand new one I can't use! Other than the above mentioned possible fixes that unfortunately are not working for me, does anyone else have other things they have tried that worked for them?
by stuarthowitt on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:48 am
Where are we on a fix for this? UC Surface unusable everytime adjust Pre Amp level app crashes. Airplane mode work around does not help!

75 postsPage 1 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4