StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
12 posts
Page 1 of 1

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by bitonwalstra on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:39 am
way more and better info about AVB & Dante can be found here; http://www.presonus.com/downloads/products/pdf/RM_Applications_10-3-14_jn08_4WEB.pdf

Micro PA;
Apple; MacBook Pro 13", Mid 2010, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, OS X latest version
Apple; iPad 3, 16Gb, iOS latest version
Asus; S300C Notebook PC, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, Windows 8.1
Studio One; v2, Artist
StudioLive; 16.4.2 (sold)
StudioLive; RM16Ai (returned)
Behringer; X32 Producer (sold)
Behringer; XR18 (ordered)
Electro Voice; ZXA1
Heil Sound; PR22, Handi Mic
Lag; 1984 RockLine Bass
by Dale Christenson on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:20 pm
I wonder if there is a new picture that includes AVB cascading including a CS18?

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer
by Agaeset01 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:47 pm
So any word when we will be able to record via AVB? Also do any of you guys know if i ran a RM32ai on stage and cascaded another RM16ai at FOH as the slave, would I be able to run capture via firewire using the firewire ports in the slave mixer?
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:34 pm
Firewire is a local connection, so you can only record signals from the connected mixer (or play tracks back). In the combination RM16AI/ slave and RM32AI/ master the RM16AI adds 16 analog input channels to the network, which are numbered 33 to 48, and 16 digital channels, numbered 49 to 64. Input channels from RM32AI are not "mirrored" in RM16AI, just mains, mono out and auxes 1 to 8. There is nothing to record on the RM16AI, but I suppose it will be possible to to feed tracks into the network through channels 49 to 64 (the RM16AI as slave).
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:14 am
I wanted to know what happens

... when RM32AI is Master and firewire is connected to RM16AI: You don't get any signal from Capture into your network.

... when RM16AI is Master with firewire connected: Capture can record tracks 1-16 and playback tracks 17-32, which are in this configuration analog channels 1-16 and digital channels 17-32 in the network. RM32AI adds analog channels 33-64.

It makes no sense to cascade RM mixers and to use them in the traditional way (FOH, stage). A single RM32AI serves everything you need. You can control recording through UC Surface even if your computer is "somewhere" (connected ia firewire to the RM). But you might use your RM16AI to expand your physical input channels up to 48. Another idea might be to get a CS18AI as controller for your RMs.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:22 pm
After some more "investigations" there is some good news for you: Yes, everything you are asking is possible! I stand corrected. Please read the whole story in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=108947#p108947.
by Agaeset01 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:41 pm
Thanks for the verification. Im going to see if i could make it work.
by philmoakes on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:23 pm
Still a bit unsure of some aspects of this. I'm using CS18AI and RM32 with AVB connection via MOTU AVB switch. I need to record onto MacBook Pro so I use the Firewire link from RM32 to MBP and record with Capture. This is for broadcast purposes so I have the CS18, RM32 and MBP in the Control Room and take analogue audio from a conventional stagebox in another room. I'd like to put the RM32 in the other room and simply run cat 6 back to the CS18 and the MBP.

When I last looked (several months ago now), I couldn't record audio via AVB to Capture (hence the Firewire approach). Saw something the other day that looked like I can do this now if I keep the AVB switch at the Control Room end and run the Cat 6 to the AVB port on the RM32 in the live room. The AVB switch also connects to the ethernet port of the MBP and the CS18.

I don't want to do this wirelessly (even if it's do-able).

All firmwares are up to date.

Have I misread things and this is still to come?

CS18, RM32, RM32, HP4, ERIS 5, MOTU AVB SWITCH
by wahlerstudios on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:31 pm
For CS and RM nothing has changed up to now. Recording is only possible through Firewire or via Dante, but Capture and CS18AI do not "speak" Dante...

There is some kind of workaround. You can "cascade" two RM mixers as master and slave. Your CS18AI is able to handle this setting. This brings Firewire back to FOH/CS and it works with any combination of RM/RML rack mixers. The RM's are connected via a single CAT5 cable to the AVB switch and it doesn't matter where the switch is located. Probably the best place is where most of the connections have to be made.

:+1 AND: Firewire allows you to use Smaart on your MPB, so give your MBP some more work to do than stupid recording. Also an iPad may be helpful, if you want to have a look at the many details of two RM's working as a tandem. Your tiny CS controller can not represent all that...
by philmoakes on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:31 pm
So the bottom line is that I'd need to spend many hundreds of GBP to buy an additional RM rack to utilise its Firewire for recording. From a tech perspective I see how this works but from a financial perspective it seems excessive when I don't need more than the 32 channels that I already have.

This is a problem I'd like to solve but not one that warrants that sort of investment. I'll carry on using an analogue stage box for the time being.

Thanks for the steer

Phil

CS18, RM32, RM32, HP4, ERIS 5, MOTU AVB SWITCH
by fredericb on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:36 am
philmoakes wroteSo the bottom line is that I'd need to spend many hundreds of GBP to buy an additional RM rack to utilise its Firewire for recording. From a tech perspective I see how this works but from a financial perspective it seems excessive when I don't need more than the 32 channels that I already have.

This is a problem I'd like to solve but not one that warrants that sort of investment. I'll carry on using an analogue stage box for the time being.

Thanks for the steer

Phil

Believe me, there is no alternative in that price range. You cant buy a 64 channel mixer and recording 64 channels for +/- 3200€. (2x RM and 1 CS and AVB switch)

12 posts
Page 1 of 1