StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, so I sat on my iPad Air 2 the other week. Yippee I thought, time for an upgrade. So I checked that UC surface would run on an iPad Air 4 and went for it, but now I find that the RM16AI won’t work on it. Surely if a device can run the app then it can connect to the desk.

What is stopping it and where am I going wrong? Has anyone else encountered this issue?
by SwitchBack on Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:05 am
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

Did you authorise the new iPad? I haven't heard of any compatibility issues with UC Surface and iPads. You may have to set up a wired connection with a computer running UC to authorise the (wireless) iPad.
by cywebber on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:35 am
Thanks for the reply SwitchBack. This isn't something I had to do in the past. I used to have an iPad Air 2, and that would connect to my RM16AI as soon as it was on the correct wifi network. According to the RM16AI tech specs page the iPad Air 4 I have now isn't compatible. It just seems unbelievable to me.
by SwitchBack on Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:16 pm
Maybe at the time those tech specs were written iPad Air 2 was the latest and greatest around? I wouldn't give up on your new iPad yet. Also remember that wireless devices need to be authorised only once so you may have forgotten about it. If UC Surface can run on your iPad then I can't see why it wouldn't work with your RM16AI.

Suggestion: Make a wired connection from a laptop/computer running UC to the router that connects the mixer (wired) to the iPad (WiFi). Then check if the UC GUI gives you options to grant the iPad access. If the iPad doesn't show up at all then check if it's properly logged on to the router's LAN :)
by cywebber on Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:47 am
Hey Switchback. I managed to get myself up and running, but not in any way that’s useful for others to know, but I felt I should log on and let you know what happened.

The new iPad I had bought stopped working and I had to return it, so unable to do any further testing I chose not to take the risk, and got myself a 1st gen iPad Pro. It works, perfectly, with no access granting necessary.

Thanks for your help though, I wish I’d been able to test your idea because I’d like to know for the future.

Anyway here’s to many more years with the RM16AI :thumbup: Incidentally I really think it’s a great piece of kit, I’ve used it for years and it’s never skipped a beat, and it’s so well built, construction is much better than the Soundcraft or Behringer offerings.
by SwitchBack on Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:51 am
So the whole problem may have been due to a faulty iPad. Would be nice if someone could confirm that controlling an AI mixer with an iPad Air 4 works just fine :)

6 posts
Page 1 of 1