StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm a brand new 16r owner. I love the audio quality, the interface is fab. At $1500 it was pricey, but the single rack space format is awesome.

But at this point I dare not send the mixer out with one of my sound guys because of the stupid auto mute if you don't power it down properly.

If you do not first power down the interface in the app, and then PHYSICALLY turn off the power switch, the next time you turn it on, all the outputs are muted. To fix it, you have to go to the app, go to the gear icon, click the power down, wait for it to finish, exit the app and power everything up again in the correct order.

AND there are no big red warning letters anywhere saying "OUTPUTS MUTED - RESTART MIXER." NOTHING! It almost made me cry with frustration, until I found an obscure post on some board. I could at least forgive the thing if it showed you a warning, and instructions on how to MAKE IT USABLE FOR LIVE SOUND!!!

Come on Presonus, this is bush league. I've NEVER had a problem with Behringer or Soundcraft digital mixers. Unless you fix this this, as soon as I can get a Behringer, I'm gona dump the 16r.

I need idiot proof gear.

Peter
by wahlerstudios on Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:56 pm
This question would actually be right in the Series III section of this forum, so that it can be found by users of Series II equipment, but of course there should be an answer here.

"Idiot proof gear" is a high goal. The Series III rack mixers are that, but they are also digital mixers with a lot of functions and many ways to get lost. I don't have my 16R here at the moment, so I set up my 32R, sent some radio music to channels 1+2 (analog) and Main L/R, also aux 15+16 linked and FX D - just as test. I use UC Surface on a laptop connected via WiFi (Apple router). Then I turned off the mixer manually while the music is playing, shut down UC Surface and started the mixer again without any control. The music comes up again and everything is exactly as before. Nothing muted, no interruption of sound, no changes anywhere.

It's probably better to use the soft-power function, but when the rack mixer is used in Stagebox Mode, there is only the manual on/off and this doesn't cause any problem. You can turn the rack mixers on and off and it also doesn't matter if there is a router involved or not. I personally do start the router first always, but technically it's not really needed. The mixer will find the router and connect.

I don't see any of the problems you mention and nothing is hindering the mixer to work. I also can't think of any reason why the mixer should do this, so the only recommendation can be to zero out the rack mixer and then test its behavior again. Zeor out means reset of project, reset of scenes and reset of Digital Patching, which includes analog patching.

There is nothing to complain about Series III rack mixers. Rock solid, good sounding, versatile (different modes), easy to handle. I use the 32R mostly as stagebox, but also as mixer and the 16R is my go-to mixer for small events. The RM mixers were not bad at their time, but the Series III rack mixers are better in many ways.
by wzemzyat on Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:33 pm
OK well got it all sorted.

My project preset was probably corrupted. Reset, update firmware and rebuilt scene from scratch. All is good now.

I still stand by my suggestion that if the outputs are "helpfully" muted that big red letters appear in the UC app advising the user this is so.

Peter

3 posts
Page 1 of 1