StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Dear experts

I'd like to use the following setup for clear separation of FOH and stage onitoring:

a) all Inputs signals are split into two signals, going into a) and b)

a) Stage Monitoring
- RM32, connected to Wireless router A
- multiple iPads connected to let musicians control their stage monitoring channels

b) FOH
- RML32, connected via Motu AVB to Wireless Router B
- one iPad to wireless Router B
- CS18ai to ABV (optional, maybe we use iPad only for FOH mixing)

We'd like to use this setup instead of cascading the mixers for clear separation; e.g. musicians do not see FOH setup and can't change by mistake. So does the FOH sound engineer, he doesn't see monitoring at all.

Never tried this; do you experts see any issue with this kind of setup? (In particular with two WIFI router placed closely to each other).
We could also think of using just only one WIFI router and not using CS18ai.

Would be thankful for any advice.

Thanks
Rainer
by wahlerstudios on Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:41 am
The 'good old' analog split will always work, you just have to make sure that only one mixer is using/sending phantom power. It might make sense to connect both mixers to one router. QMix will connect to a single mixer, UC Surface will show both mixers. Another option is to restrict permissions. If you want a musician to control just his own mix, do not give him permission to the other mixes. And use your CS18AI via network cable. You never know what happens in the WLAN world...
by rainerpick on Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:57 am
Many thanks, Wahlerstudios!

So, I understand that I can run 2 Mixers separately, although they are connected to the same WIFI router. In UC surface I would just choose the correct one, depending on the purpose. I will give it a try!

BR

3 posts
Page 1 of 1