StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have owned a RM32AI since they were first released and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what the use of the "Aux.Routing" page is for. Over the years I have spent countless hours trying every variation I could think of to connect to those channels... Nothing!

Would someone please help me to understand what they are for and, possibly, how to use them? Or (as I'm beginning to suspect) are these "aux. routing" channels just another Unicorn like the elusive MIDI connectors on the back turned out to be?

As always, any help wold be greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey

**computers** 2022 MacBook Pro w/ M1 Pro * 32GB ram * MacOS Ventura // MacMini * QuadCore i7 * 16GB ram * OS X Catalina // **interface(s)** Digigrid IOX //// Firestudio Project // Waves Soungrid Server //// **Software** Studio One 5.x (latest version) // Waves LV1 // SuperRack // misc. PlugIns
by wahlerstudios on Tue May 11, 2021 4:33 pm
As far as I remember the Aux Routing does not do much. But it works. It's not a fake... ;-) The first column shows the pairs Capture is able to record as stereo track (FW 33+34). This is a fixed setting. You can only select Main L/R, Main mono, Mix 1/2 etc. as signal source. Smaart is using FW 45+46, but that's not interesting here. If you are recording in Studio One and trying to record "more" than just the 32 input channels, you have to add stereo tracks and route their inputs to FW 33+34 for Main L/R, FW 35+36 for Main mono, FW37+38 for Mix 1/2, FW 39+40 for Mix 3/4 ... FW 53+54 for Solo L/R. It's probably rather seldom that you would need so many stereo tracks, but if you want to record a certain stereo mix, you could either route Mix 15/16 to FW 33+34 or select FW 51+52 as input source for a stereo track.

Hope this helps. The practical use of Aux Routing depends very much in on the individual needs. ;-) This is much more interesting with the Series III mixers, because USB and AVB routing have 64x64 (inputs and outputs) matrices and you can literally patch anything to any other place in the matrices. If you want to route USB input 1 to USB channel 64 and the output to USB 36, just do it...

Attachments
AuxRouting.jpg
by jeffreyfauver on Tue May 11, 2021 6:52 pm
WahlerStudios,

Thank you for the answers. Its beginning to make a bit more sense, with the exception of one question... Are the selections in the Aux Routing tab Inputs or Outputs? I ask because, although the page you sent me says "inputs", the page says that Capture can record FROM 34-35 which would seem like outputs.(?)

Again, thank you.

Jeffrey

**computers** 2022 MacBook Pro w/ M1 Pro * 32GB ram * MacOS Ventura // MacMini * QuadCore i7 * 16GB ram * OS X Catalina // **interface(s)** Digigrid IOX //// Firestudio Project // Waves Soungrid Server //// **Software** Studio One 5.x (latest version) // Waves LV1 // SuperRack // misc. PlugIns
by SwitchBack on Wed May 12, 2021 3:10 am
Yeah, the manual is a bit confusing.

In a nutshell: There’s 52 sends from mixer over firewire to computer. The first 32 sends are the mixer’s input channels. The last 20, in stereo pairs, are what you choose them to be on the Aux Routing page. You can use these sends e.g. to record from in Studio One. In the last column in the Aux routing table you choose what’s available on the mixer’s S/PDIF output.

Capture will record only up to 34 channels. These are the 32 mixer input channels plus one stereo signal from sends 33/34 (with content source as set on the Aux Routing page).
by jeffreyfauver on Wed May 12, 2021 4:03 am
Thank you both for the information. With this, and a bit of playing around, I'll be able to work it out. At least this didn't turn out to be more "eye candy" like the MIDI thing! haha!

Jeffrey

by jeffreyfauver on Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 pm
Okay,

So I might have been a bit hasty with my "I'll be able to work it out" comment. :shock:
I've been trying to pass audio from stereo channels 35-36 to Waves LV1, in order to try and mix monitors thru LV1... So I assigned channels 35-36 (in the RM32AI) to mix outputs 1-2.

No matter what I try, I cannot get a signal to come from the RM32AI to the LV1's channels. What I would like to do is mix the monitors in LV1. In order to do that, I would also need to figure out some way to return this monitor mix back to the RM32AI's mix output 1-2.

Now notice I said "what I'd like to do". I realize this has nothing to do with reality, and that I will no doubt have to find another way to get done what I am wanting to do. So my only other idea is to use LV1 as FOH mix, and use Universal Control as monitor mix. Just an extra step. I'm already using the UC for gains and, any show I ever did used a second console as a monitor board anyway.

Any suggestions? All would be appreciated. :D

Jeffrey

by SwitchBack on Mon May 17, 2021 3:42 am
From what you're writing I take that you want to mix from the LV1 system using the RM32AI as a firewire audio interface. In that case you don't need the RM's Auxiliary Sends at all.

You want all 32 RM analog inputs available in your LV1 system, coming in through firewire sends 1-32. Nothing you wrote suggests that that's a problem. In the LV1 system from those 32 channels you can create up to 18 mono or 9 stereo mixes and return them via the firewire returns to the RM's mixer channels.

Now all the RM has to do is route those mixer channels 1:1 to Aux Outputs and the Main output. Once that's set up you don't have to touch the RM's mixing controls (in UC) anymore because all mixing will be done from the LV1 system.

You can set things up in a 'hybrid' fashion too where some mixing is done on the RM. But note that the firewire returns from AV1 require mixer channels to take their input from firewire, making the analog inputs on those channels unavailable to the RM itself.

And as for the Aux Routing page: That allows you to send mixes from the RM to the computer. So that requires you to use the RM (via UC) for mixing and not the LV1 system, which sort of defies the purpose of using a system like LV1.

Hope that helps :)
by jeffreyfauver on Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 am
SwitchBack,

Thank you for the info. This helped me to get my Mix Outputs all nicely sorted. :D
I'm not using Firewire. I have a Dante card in the RM which then, by way of a Hear Tech WSG Bridge, is converted to Soundgrid. The LV1 sees all of my channels as Soundgrid channels. I would love to return the LV1's Main outputs thru UC's Digital Return channel. As it is, I'm having to give up two channels in order to return the L/R outputs of the LV1.

LV1 doesn't play nice with the Firewire inputs. It sees every channel as "channel 0" for some reason.

I didn't understand what you meant by "In the LV1 system from those 32 channels you can create up to 18 mono or 9 stereo mixes and return them via the firewire returns to the RM's mixer channels". I just planned on mixing my 32 (30 after using up two channels for mains return) channels as I normally would on any mixer.

Again, thank you for the help.

Jeffrey

by SwitchBack on Mon May 17, 2021 10:31 am
Ah okay, Dante instead of firewire.

Why can’t you use the digital return channel? Is Soundgrid or something else in the RM32AI-LV1 link limited to 32 channels from LV1 to mixer?

I mentioned 18 mono / 9 stereo mixes because that’s the number of physical RM32AI outputs, assuming you wanted to do all mixing in LV1. If the plan is to do only the main mix in LV1 then I think you’re all set :)
by jeffreyfauver on Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 pm
Hi SwitchBack,

No, I'm not limited to 32 channels. I can see 64 channels in LV1 that are coming from the Dante/WSG bridge. I don't know the channel numbers needed in order to return to the RM's digital return, or the mains out.

I thought you were talking about channel count in the LV1 system... I wasn't thinking about the mix outputs on the RM! :D So the mains will be my 2 bus and the mix outputs will be for my monitor mixes which, by the way, are working great since your help. Thank you for that!

Is there a way for me to send back from LV1 to the digital returns of the RM? That one thing would complete my setup. Thank you for any advice you have.

Jeffrey

by SwitchBack on Mon May 17, 2021 5:12 pm
Dante should give you 60 output channels from the RM to LV1 and 34 input channels to the RM from LV1. In the mixer input channels 1-32 go to the network buttons on the mixer channels and input channels 33-34 should go to the stereo digital return channel.

Note that PreSonus expects Audinate's Dante Controller application to be installed on the computer to configure input and output channels. So have a look there as well to check what goes where.
by jeffreyfauver on Mon May 17, 2021 8:18 pm
You are not going to believe this (well, maybe you will :o ). When you mentioned the Dante controller I checked and I had the L/R return selected. So I opened UC Surface to see why this wasn't working and... I had forgotten to select "network" on the Digital In. Selected it and Viola! Now it's all working as I'd hoped! WhooHoo! :shock:

In Dante Controller The RM32AI shows only 32 channels and L/R on returns, but it shows everything (channels, mix outputs, effects, etc. ) on the sends side of things. The Bridge shows 64 channels either direction.

It's working. Now if I can only keep it working. I can't help but tinker. ;)

Thank you, Switchback, for all your help!

Jeffrey

12 posts
Page 1 of 1