StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
So I read the M1 chipset blanket statement about incompatibility between Mac M1 chipsets and the StudioLive Mixers. So I thought I'd start this post with a clarifying question.

Are the RMAI32's going end-of life on Mac as it pertains to future Apple hardware?

If this is the case (and I have no intention of creating a panic if it isn't) I'm left in a VERY precarious situation where the RMAI32 is the hub of the wheel in my studio and at $1600.00 and a purchase I "just" made in 2017, a quite pricey one TBH. You might think I'm being a bit presumptuous, but I bought into Presonus as a studio equipment provider having come from using a pair of MOTUs that literally lasted 20 years, surviving multiple OS and even hardware architecture changes. In fact, I gave them to a friend who is STILL using them to this day.

I will save you some time with your answer, don't bother mentioning anything starting with Micro... Nor am I interested in dropping $7k-$10k on a mac pro. I WAS considering purchasing a Mac Mini M1 all decked out as spec-wise it looks to be a pretty decent solution.. that is until I read the afore mentioned post.

My second question is, when will the Studio One product team see the writing on the wall when it comes to the profiteering of big tech and start supporting open operating systems (Linux namely?) It's not as if you don't have a considerable amount of interest (at least in looking at your boards.) The wave of professionals seeking refuge under the wing of the penguin is growing. I hope there's some real thought going into making that happen regardless of which chipset comes along.

I look forward to Presonus' feedback.
by Bbd on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:01 pm
You should contact Support with your concerns.
Thanks.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by SwitchBack on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm
Yeah, it's rare to find the PreSonus hardware group in these forums these days. But this is a users forum here so that's fine I guess.

As for the compatibility between the Apple processors and the AI mixers I'd say that you can't expect such a massive change of direction to take place without casualties. Apple made a few prohibitive changes over the last years, changes that left the audio industry with access to less than what was available before. Maybe direct a good share of the criticism towards the party moving the beacons?

And the AI mixers are still supported, only not for new Macs with Apple processors. So hold on to a couple of Macs on Intel I guess.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1