StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is the MIDI feature working on the RM series mixers yet?

I just got my new Mac linked up with my RM32 under the new Yosemite updates. Till updates were available I was using an iTwo Audio Box as a work around, also using the MIDI feature for drum triggering with a Roland kit and EZ Drummer 2 as a plug in inside Studio One.

Now hoping I can disconnect the iTwo and use the MIDI feature on the RM mixer for drums when needed. But so far I am just not seeing the RM as a MIDI option when adding a new instrument device like I did with the iTwo at start up of Studio One device setup.

The mixer itself is working fine with Yosemite in Studio One and UC Control.

Noted in the manual that the MIDI feature would become available at a later update. Just wondering if its active yet.

Mean Gene

PreSonus RM32Ai, QSC K12's, Ksubs, KW112's
Fractal Axe FX II XL, Atomic CLR Neo cabs
Two Rock Sensor, Aracom Evolver
Baker B1, b3 SL, Ibanez TM10
Roland TD9
PreSonus Fader Port, iTwo Audio Box, Studio One 2 PRO
MacbookPro, Lenovo 20 control
by matthewgorman on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:06 pm
Not yet. Sorry.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by meangene31 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:24 am
Thanks Matt, I will stay fine tuned.

Mean Gene

Roland TD9
by meangene31 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:36 am
Hey Matt, any idea if there's a ballpark time frame attached to the MIDI updates functionality? Just curious. My next test will be to see if I can use the iTwo for MIDI triggering and the RM as a recording interface at the same time. I think I can just haven't proven it yet.

Mean Gene

Roland TD9
by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:13 am
No time frame to speak of. Everything I have seen regarding RM features seems to be around dante and avb functionality.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by meangene31 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:17 am
Thank you!

Mean Gene

Roland TD9
by meangene31 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:11 pm
Yahoo it works, just verified I can capture tracks thru the RM plus capture MIDI tracks from a Roland electronic kit triggering EZ Drummer 2 in S1 via the iTwo Audiobox, that means we could do that live too interesting...... I wasn't sure if I would be able to capture from the two separate devices at the same time.... It works :) So far Roland kit only been used for silent tracking/rehearsals at home. Used it at a couple gigs early on but the internal tones and lack of control made it hell for the sound man, but in MIDI land the whole kit expands to separate channels..... Giant hmmmm....

Mean Gene

Roland TD9
by stingray1122 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:45 pm
It's going to be a little while still before we get the MIDI functioning. Perhaps late in 2015. However, the architecture of the mixer doesn't support using the MIDI to feed through the FireWire to a computer. It's strictly for sending and receiving MIDI to the mixer itself.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by CH_NL on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:25 am
Am working in theatres regularly. For now with the "old" 24.4.2 without MIDI and therefore scene selection has to be done on the mixer itself (or through Virtual SL). Am using a show control program (QLAB) to run all audio/video/midi etc. Planning to upgrade later in the year to a mixer including MIDI. Potentially to the RM32.

Will the MIDI functionality on the RM series be able to handle MIDI commands coming in from QLAB Showcontrol?

regards
CH
by epeterso on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:01 am
matthewgorman wroteNo time frame to speak of. Everything I have seen regarding RM features seems to be around dante and avb functionality.

Glad to hear that Dante is a priority. I'm managing with my fw400 connection, but looking forward to cutting over to Dante and trying out the higher sample rates.

MIDI may come in handy if we switch over to a TD30 drum kit, but right now we are acoustic.

RM32AI using FW800 and a 25 foot cable, 24 bit 88.2 kHz.

Home built 4 GHz DAW i-7 3930K 32 GB RAM, Blu Ray burner, all SSD except for RAID drives, three 24" screens at mixing desk, fourth screen in the ISO Booth. This thing screams!

SONAR Platinum with Radikal SAC-2.2 surface, Waves Gold FX, Samplitude Pro X, Melodyne. Magix Video Pro X6, and Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

StudioLive 16.4.2 or X32 Rack for gigs Firewire connected to Sony VAIO all-in-wonder touch screen PC.
by epeterso on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:16 am
stingray1122 wroteIt's going to be a little while still before we get the MIDI functioning. Perhaps late in 2015. However, the architecture of the mixer doesn't support using the MIDI to feed through the FireWire to a computer. It's strictly for sending and receiving MIDI to the mixer itself.

That's an unfortunate architectural limitation, are we talking hardware or software architecture? Sorry, I'm a hardware/software/systems engineer by day so I ask too many questions ... it would have slick if the "stage box" was the single Audio and MIDI hub for a band. Will that change when the Dante option goes live?

RM32AI using FW800 and a 25 foot cable, 24 bit 88.2 kHz.

Home built 4 GHz DAW i-7 3930K 32 GB RAM, Blu Ray burner, all SSD except for RAID drives, three 24" screens at mixing desk, fourth screen in the ISO Booth. This thing screams!

SONAR Platinum with Radikal SAC-2.2 surface, Waves Gold FX, Samplitude Pro X, Melodyne. Magix Video Pro X6, and Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

StudioLive 16.4.2 or X32 Rack for gigs Firewire connected to Sony VAIO all-in-wonder touch screen PC.
by chrisfowler1 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:29 am
stingray1122 wroteIt's going to be a little while still before we get the MIDI functioning. Perhaps late in 2015. However, the architecture of the mixer doesn't support using the MIDI to feed through the FireWire to a computer. It's strictly for sending and receiving MIDI to the mixer itself.

LOL @ 2015.
MIDI is a very simple protocol.
Forcing users into a CS for external control is pretty obvious.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1