StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey guys! I’m a bit new to the world of AVB and all...it’s been really fun setting up my cs18ai with Rml32ai in my home studio. But here is what I’m trying to figure out- I’ve got a laptop at the drum set connected to Rml32ai over FireWire and the computer’s audio output goes to 2 stereo channels on the Rml32ai. That’s great, but I also want a computer at the keyboard, and another for me at my guitar station, all able to output audio in the form of backing tracks or whatever....is there a way for me to send this data and receive it over the AVB network, maybe with a software solution rather than putting an audio interface on each computer? I feel like there’s a way to set that up but I can’t find procedures in our product documentation for this kind of thing. Thanks for any and all help!! Ps I have a SW5E right now....got it because I was having a hell of a time getting the i/os to work on my cs18ai. But then I resolved that....not sure if I need this switch anymore but maybe it helps with this? Sorry for the novel🤦🏻‍♂️
by wahlerstudios on Thu May 21, 2020 10:31 am
Hi, and welcome to the Forum! Basically you have ONE mixer, which allows ONE audio connection (FireWire). There is no chance to ADD more computers. USB also would not allow this, so this is not a "problem" of the AI mixers and/or AVB 1 (first generation). AVB 2 is more open for networked devices including computers, but this does not help you. The RM mixers have the option to use a Dante card and connect to computers. The CS18AI is "Dante ready" and will work as controller only, all audio functions will not be available anymore.

For the Series III ecosystem there will also be a Dante solution available in the future, but nobody knows the concept and the features yet. Work with what you have. Get some DI boxes (with Ground Lift) to connect the computers to the mixer. You can use DAW Mode for processing the signals. With only one mixer involved you should be able to "insert" your DAW, which means to send an incoming signal through the DAW's trakc back to the channel.

I have been using the CS/RM combo for quite some time, so I know its potential - but also its restrictions. For what you want to do, Series III does not offer "better" solutions, unless you want to buy several rack mixers. Dante might be a perspective. The option cards are still available, but very expensive.

https://shop.presonus.com/SL-Dante-MIX
by matthewgorman on Thu May 21, 2020 10:52 am
I think there is a way to hook you up, but I may not be totally clear on what you are trying to do.

It seems like you have a setup with a few different instrument "stations", and need playback and monitoring at each station? I have a similar setup if that is the case. You may want to try a different approach using the S1 remote app. That will allow remote setup, playback, etc control of S1. So you can leave the mixer/pc where it is. RUn XLR outs from the mixer for a HP amp for monitoring, and use the S1 remote to interact remotely with the daw.

Maybe that works? Otherwise, you would be looking at a minimum of 1000.00 to move in to a Dante environment, which will do what you want.You could probably also accomplich this with MAC and AVB, but then you would need to replace every pc with a mac. Probably more than 1000.00.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Friedhelm on Fri May 22, 2020 12:09 pm
first, i think dante would be the best solution. But it is expensive. You could try a few things: if you can run an analog cable, then it is worth trying to build a remote desktop solution. means, you use one computer as your main, the others are remotely controlled via team viewer or a similar app. (maybe studio one remote?)
another solution could be dante via. with this software from audinate you can make any computer or interface a dante device. You can demo Via for a few days.

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon
by jebbyslonar on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:44 am
russellholmes1 wroteHey guys! I’m a bit new to the world of AVB and all...it’s been really fun setting up my cs18ai with Rml32ai in my home studio. But here is what I’m trying to figure out- I’ve got a laptop at the drum set connected to Rml32ai over FireWire and the computer’s audio output goes to 2 stereo channels on the Rml32ai. That’s great, but I also want a computer at the keyboard, and another for me at my guitar station, all able to output audio in the form of backing tracks or whatever....is there a way for me to send this data and receive it over the AVB network, maybe with a software solution rather than putting an audio interface on each computer? I feel like there’s a way to set that up but I can’t find procedures in our product documentation for this kind of thing. Thanks for any and all help!! Ps I have a SW5E right now....got it because I was having a hell of a time getting the i/os to work on my cs18ai. But then I resolved that....not sure if I need this switch anymore but maybe it helps with this? Sorry for the novel🤦🏻‍♂️

I found your post cause I searched 'multiple presonus devices usb' and I have to applaud you on doing something of this sort that only a few people I have seen do. It's too late to reply I figure since it's been about 13 months. I have 5 audio interfaces connected to 2 computers and would recommend it. It is completely possible thru creative cable wiring to run all your interfaces into one interface. That interface can be your input to Studio One if that is your Daw that day, or Pro Tools, (I've used Pro Tools for this as well). Then you can pick up some preamps with multiple outs. I have 2 by ART which both have the xlr out and the 1/4" out, and both outs are connected for different instruments,or different purposes which I can unplug as necessaary (in the case of my Prophet, I use one out to run to an oscilloscope and the other direct to a mono in on my DAW interface to record audio). The preamp outs can go to some ins on different interfaces and the interface out can go to your DAW interface's in. You will want interfaces with the typical 8 in 8 out (*typically your largest interfaces). M Audio Fast Tracks I have 3 and they're cheap and work great. Then you put your best/most operational interface directly to the DAW. Creative cabling solves the problem of wanting to record without a lot of hassles. I do most of my recording live. I've got a preamp for guitar/mic and one that I always keep on my Prophet synth. I'm sure I don't have any fire wire, but I use 2 computers very near each other, and network everything. You will want a couple mouse pads, and a remote mouse or 2. The USB ports can be a problem just don't add anything on if there's an interface. Each interface should have its own dedicated USB port.

Inside studio one I have an input from my interface for each Fast Track Ultra 8R (stereo output of each). Each Fast track ultra 8R has full 8 inputs (plus toggle in from the front of each for mic/inst) I use each interface for its MIDI which is loads better than getting midi thru USB as long as you have the interfaces on it is very reliable and always works as if it has a full USB driver. The inputs are therefore 10 possible on each FTU8R, then I use 2 ins on the 2nd FTU8R to piggyback the FTU (not 8R) which has a synth in it as well. This equals some 28 inputs that all can be used to direct external synths into S1 at a moment's notice. I have inputs for a couple Rolands, and a Yamaha Reface, and an iPhone (which has a great Moog Model D synth). The rest of the FTU inputs I patch back from outs. This way I can run a desktop synth or 2 if I get into doing something live. Sure typically you want only one instrument per track but if I was recording more, I could make a recording of more.

Aorus Elite X570
12 USB, 1000/1000 (Mbps)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
12/24, 48
WIndows 11 Pro
Studio One Artist 6.1
Presonus Studio interfaces:
1810C (8 ins, S1 engine)
1824C (8 ADAT to 1810C)
Look up what I'm doing today on my Bitchute channel "Wind Whispering Through The Trees"
Not always SFW not always NSFW Usually music though

5 posts
Page 1 of 1