StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello guys I feel like I up a creek without a paddle.
I have been a sound tech with the church for quite a few years now since 95. But that was with an analog board and recording to a tape deck with eventual upgrade to cd.
In 2015 I urged the church to purchase the rm32 to future proof us because they were talking about digital recording, live streaming and the like.
Well we purchased it and it's been great running our normal sound and recording our pastors sermons. Now due to the Coronavirus we are recording and live streaming worship and the sound is just horrible.

Let me explain im running a monitor out (XLR) from rm32 (set on stage) to an audiobox itwo connected to our Mac. Then streaming from ecamm Live (with restream.io)

How can I get a better signal from rm to Mac dealing with a distance of roughly 100ft.
1. Avb never came to fruition (presonus blames the chip vendor for bailing out and never supplied an alternative)
2. Dante cards are no longer available unless I want to risk flushing and extra $500 down the toilet to purchase one from a shady online store.
3. And firewire can't be run that far.

The only options I can see online are spend a crap ton of cash on
A. another mixer and cascade it,
B. Another computer and connect it with
TeamViewer or the likes
C. Completely replace everything and say thanks
for nothing presonus. {(sorry just a little bitter
that we were basically told "I know you paid
alot for this mixer but we don't care, were
giving up on trying to provide what we
promised this mixer could do so just buy
one of our other mixers.")

Presonus Rm32, audiobox ITwo, iMac , 3.6GHz Intel Core i3
by wahlerstudios on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:53 pm
Option D is probably the best... ;-) As the mixer is located on stage and the AudioBox iTwo is where computer and camera are, why not use just a XLR connection? Better two, because you need a stereo mix to make the livestream sound good. Link two auxes and arrange the panning of your input channels, then dedicate one reverb just to your livestream mix and use the equalizer on the reverb send to "enhance" the sound (+3 dB at 5 kHz adds some nice "air"). Alternatively you can use Studio One on your computer to add reverb and to widen the stereo image.

If you set your stereo aux mix to postfade, the mix will follow the Main mix. You can still change individual levels like +10 dB for speech or lead vocals by simpl<y setting the faders different. If you happen to have an additional tablet, you can mix the livestream totally independend from the Main mix. For this the linked auxes have to be set to "prefade".

Hope this helps. The AI rack mixers still have a lot of potential and they are rock soild. Sometimes you need to be creative to find solutions, but very often the best solution is the most simple one...
by SwitchBack on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:01 pm
XLR cables should be able to deal with the 100 ft without problems. The most likely reason for the distortion is audiobox input clipping: With an XLR cable you are going from an XLR line level output to an XLR mic level input. Try the jack inputs on the audiobox instead. An XLR female to stereo jack adapter at the end of the XLR cable would do the trick.

Other issues can be:
- a ground loop (solved by using a ground loop isolator)
- computer power supply noise (more difficult to solve)
wahlerstudios wroteOption D is probably the best... ;-) As the mixer is located on stage and the AudioBox iTwo is where computer and camera are, why not use just a XLR connection? Better two, because you need a stereo mix to make the livestream sound good. Link two auxes and arrange the panning of your input channels, then dedicate one reverb just to your livestream mix and use the equalizer on the reverb send to "enhance" the sound (+3 dB at 5 kHz adds some nice "air"). Alternatively you can use Studio One on your computer to add reverb and to widen the stereo image.

If you set your stereo aux mix to postfade, the mix will follow the Main mix. You can still change individual levels like +10 dB for speech or lead vocals by simpl<y setting the faders different. If you happen to have an additional tablet, you can mix the livestream totally independend from the Main mix. For this the linked auxes have to be set to "prefade".

Hope this helps. The AI rack mixers still have a lot of potential and they are rock soild. Sometimes you need to be creative to find solutions, but very often the best solution is the most simple one...

Thank you wahlerstudios, would definitely help with the quality of the mix. I just assumed running a mon mix to the itwo would give me a good solid mix like a regular monitor. But what you said definitely makes sense.

SwitchBack wroteXLR cables should be able to deal with the 100 ft without problems. The most likely reason for the distortion is audiobox input clipping: With an XLR cable you are going from an XLR line level output to an XLR mic level input. Try the jack inputs on the audiobox instead. An XLR female to stereo jack adapter at the end of the XLR cable would do the trick.

Other issues can be:
- a ground loop (solved by using a ground loop isolator)
- computer power supply noise (more difficult to solve)

Thank you Switchback, this would definitely be the cheaper option and help sound quality.

Both you and wahlerstudios have helped me tremendously. Now I just need to get to the mixer and try it out.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1