StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Will these new RM series mixers have SMAART like the AI series?
by -Luis- on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:01 pm
Smaart integration will be coming in a firmware/software update.
Last edited by -Luis- on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by salvadoredelle on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:09 pm
from what I can tell from the documentation there is no Smaart features on the RM series unless they intend to implement that down the road. Most all the studio Live consoles (except the 1602) have Smaart software. Studio Live consoles use the Talkback Mic for input of the calibration mic into the system for the Smaart software to see... the RM series does not have a Talkback mic input, just the 16/32 mic inputs for the channels.
You can always buy the Smaart7 software and do it yourself... it's a lot more advanced than the version they give you in the Consoles. But it's a big boy's toy so if you are not a real engineer.. just get a DBX PA2 speaker management box and use it... that will do a lot for you in setting up your system with this or any console or rack.

the RM series does not have a Monitor section for connection and control of studio monitors either. Bad Move I think!
No direct outputs at all, although you could get a couple DB25 to XLR multi cables and use the mix outputs from those as direct outputs... but you only get 1/2 the outs as you have inputs 32/16 or 16/8... so not really all that useful for Direct outputs.
no channel inserts either... ???
No line inputs at all...?
No aux inputs except for a Tape input on RCA???
they made a great box and crippled it by not making it fully functional for both studio and live use. This could have been a really killer Pro level box but I guess they had to cut it way back to make it affordable to the masses.

I wish the made a pro version.. I'd pay more for more! I think the consoles are a better way to go if you need more routing and the Smaart functions.

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by Dale Christenson on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 am
I consider most of the Presonus products live only. Even though the mixer consoles could be and have been used in studio environments.
Bashing the RM because it isn't built for studio use is a waste of your and everyone's time. Use it for what it was intended for: a useful tool to get the job of live sound done efficiently and professionally.
/rant

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer
by salvadoredelle on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:52 am
I'm not bashing it Dale.. the forum is for discussing different aspects of the gear and putting things out on the table for discussion and review. I'm just pointing out a few things left off that are real handy... I use em all for Live and have used the Control room monitor section a lot for Live recording where the monitors are in another room or as console tops LIVE!!!.. also used em for an easy feed to another room sound system and have a nice volume control real handy... I install systems that non tech types will be operating so I am looking at all aspects or routing and operation... They just left off a lot that the consoles have and that's too bad as I would like to use this type of rack mounted mixer in my installation business. They really need a digital snake!

Line inputs I use on stage all the time for outboard gear, keyboard sub mixers etc...???
Direct outputs have many useful functions...
not having these functions cripples the use in some applications. It's good to know this if you are planning a purchase as you might want to consider the Ai consoles that do have these features.

I was transferring old ADAT tapes to ProTools, some were 48 channels sessions and i used an AVID SC48 system as the XLR bay has a LINE/MIC software switch for each channel... Pro! wish I could do that with the RM!

I was looking at this box for a few installations but I am going with the consoles instead as they have all those features and Smaart already happening...

I would love to see a complete RM Pro version that has all the same I/O and routing that the Consoles do and more.
I would love to have a pro version for the studio application too with a monitor section, all the I/O routing, line inputs, direct outputs and digital snake boxes as i think it would be a killer studio box... but without all that it is not well suited for a studio system... too bad it's a real cool box otherwise!

I may find a few places that these will fit into because I like Presonus gear and the service.

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by Dale Christenson on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:38 pm
I hear you, Salvadore. My comment was not directed at you in particular.

When I got my 16.4.2, the mixer had no extra functionality apart from the simple mixer that it was. Over time, things were added to make it the fully functional desk that it is today. I am confident that, over time, functions will be added to the RM series to appease even people who, like yourself, have more expectations out of the RM series than it provides us today.

I totally preordered the RM32ai with the same expectation of flexible and ongoing updates as I got from the 16.4.2. I am looking forward to the "oohs and aaahs" from people I work with as new features come online just like what happened with my present mixer. It's like getting Christmas presents all throughout the year when new updates come out. And, unlike the 16.4.2, the RM32ai promises to get even more features as with Dante coming out, the possibilities are virtually endless. Think of the possibility of Dante feeding your "control room" speakers.
Oh, and to be fair, the SC48 costs upwards of $25k+, so comparing it to the RM is not honest. So, for the price point that the RM is in, nothing touches it. Not even the "B" word mixer, IMHO. Though they have done some good work in the progress department.

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer
by keithsyler on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:17 pm
I see the RM32 as just the first piece of a whole collection of Dante connected gear. I worked my first two shows this weekend with my new RM32 and while I did notice I made a few adjustments to my workflow, I really liked it. Honestly, I think it even sounds a bit clearer than my SL32, but I need to run it a few more times before I can definitively say that.
The talkback can be configured on any one of the 32/16 inputs.
I don't use SMAART seperately from my SL mixers since I'm certified on and own Sencore calibration equipment, but it was no problem getting the boxes and monitors tuned quickly. I really like the UC Surface Parametric EQ setup.
I have tried out several different plugins running through Studio One and had no problems, so I'm not missing my inserts and line inputs so much yet. I especially love using the Presonus Tri-Comp on lead vocals so I can focus on the harsh parts of the voice and leave the warmth and low end untouched.

So, all in all it's a really great sounding mixer by itself, and while some things are missing today I think we'll see some really great additions soon.
by salvadoredelle on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:29 pm
Yea... Dale.. I had to use the SC48 for that because My Midas32 was set up for rehearsal and the SC48 was not in use and the studio Protools was in session... Don't have a presonus 32Ai yet... just a cupla 2442 and the 16's for rentals and installations. What I was getting it tho is since I do a lot of transfers of older formats and some are analog or digital that has to go out analog into something with Pro Level line inputs, the RM32 would be a great box for doing this... real compact and simple... record right to Protools or studio one and make copies on outboard drives for safety.

I also have some kick bleep old Studer multi track 2" machines I need to transfer off of... and it's real cool to record on those old studers and transfer to Protools or Studio one... Love the ole tape machines... they still soind better than all the digital... just not economical and portable!... so line inputs would be great to have on thRM for serious studio transfers and recording..

I know they will have updates for the RM series down the road so I'll wait and see how it pans out... I really dig all my presonus gear...

by rnaqvi on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:05 pm
We are planning to add Smaart and some other cool features at the beginning of the year. Additionally we will make UC Surface available for all of the AI Mixers at the same time,

Rick Naqvi
VP of Sales, PreSonus Audio Electronics
http://www.presonus.com
by camscampbell on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:28 am
I enjoyed this thread. I've volunteered to live mix the five piece Scottish dance band I play with and am considering gear for that just now. 16 channels is enough for us, but I'm considering putting myself out there to live mix other shows so I need to decide whether to future proof my purchase a little, or go with the 16 for cost and weight and get me going in figuring it all out.

Windows 10 Professional x64 | Intel Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill RipjawsV 2666Mhz
Studio One Pro 4.6.1 | StudioLive 16 Series III v1.9.14636

10 posts
Page 1 of 1