StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
31 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Had this issue a couple of weeks ago where every time I started the RM32AI it would never connect to my MacPro (pre trash can) unless I restarted multiple times, unplugged the Ethernet and wireless dongle. On April 18th I did the UC update and it seemed fix everything. Then yesterday same ol’. UC doesn't bring the RM32 up with the firewire connection. It has become very frustrating. Any thoughts?

2010 MacPro, El-Capitan,
RM32AI
by matthewgorman on Thu May 10, 2018 11:04 am
It could be the cable, the jack on the mac, or the jack on the RM. Make sure the option card on the mixer is fully seated and locked down. Try to connect using both of the jacks on the mixer, and try a fresh cable. Also, if you have access to another computer/mac, try connecting to that. All in the name of ruling out variables one at a time to find the culprit.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by wahlerstudios on Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 am
Matt was faster, but this may be a little more detailed:

Your MacBook Pro has a FireWire 800 port, so you need to use an appropriate (800/800) FireWire cable of good quality. If you own a second FireWire cable, try it.

There might be a problem with the FireWire port(s) of your RM mixer. They can easily get pushed inside. Check, if there is a problem. And if you haven't tried the second port, do it. Also move the connectors a little bit (both ends) to see if there is connectivity problem anywhere.

Why do you use a dongle on the RM mixer? Two sources of information lead to conflicts inside the RM. You see two mixers, when you launch UC Control, but this does not make any sense. Simply leave the dongle away and reduce the connection to only one (FireWire). Also allow UC Control some time to boot, because it is scanning the "network". When you see the mixer and the FireWire symbol, then allow US Control to connect mixer and computer. Sometimes the Mac needs a moment to "find" FireWire, especially after a reboot.

Third last thing to do is a factory reset with the option card pulled out. Sometimes this needs to be done two or three times.

Second last thing is to completely reinstall UC Control and UC Surface.

Last thing to do it to send the RM in for repair...

Hope this helps.
by gbam55 on Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 pm
Unless you are on the latest uc surface use the activity monitor to find ucdaemon and kill it. It will restart automatically and in the mean time FireWire connectivity is reestablished to the mixer.

Seems to be finally fixed in the latest uc update. Long outstanding bug that randomly prohibits FW access to the mixer.

I hope it works for you

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, 16.0.2 (x2), Studiolive mobile, Mac mini i7 Quad core, 16GB, MacBook Pro 2012 (1T Ssd & with all the Ports you need) Studio One Professionnal. Mélodine editor, Fader Port, StudioLive RM32-AI, CS18-ai, KRK VTX4 monitors and KRK 10s.
KRK 10 3 monitors. Yamaha O1v, KRK rokit 10 3 monitors. RCF 725-II PA and RCF 325 stage monitors. Turbosound TQ425/455 DP PA.
by acfarley on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:16 pm
So, here it is awhile later on. Did you resolve the FireWire connectivity problem? If so, mind sharing what fixed it? -Thanks!

I did the latest firmware update and now UC Surace will only connect my laptop via WIFI. Of course, I need Firewire so I can record to that Mac laptop. Such as I was, before the firmware and SW updates. Updated: Capture, UC Surface and the latest firmware that the Presonus site recommended. The site now thinks my RM32 Ai still needs the firmware, because it’s not communicating with my mixer.

A.C. Farley

Studio One 2 Pro 5x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 15". OS X Catalina 10.15
RM32AI and HP60.
by gbam55 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:17 am
The fix is as specified above - using Activity monitor find and kill the Ucdeamon. It will restart. If everything was correctly in place before the kill, FW connectivity should be reestablished to the mixer.

Best be on 9244 firmware. This is the last stable release.

Cheers

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, 16.0.2 (x2), Studiolive mobile, Mac mini i7 Quad core, 16GB, MacBook Pro 2012 (1T Ssd & with all the Ports you need) Studio One Professionnal. Mélodine editor, Fader Port, StudioLive RM32-AI, CS18-ai, KRK VTX4 monitors and KRK 10s.
KRK 10 3 monitors. Yamaha O1v, KRK rokit 10 3 monitors. RCF 725-II PA and RCF 325 stage monitors. Turbosound TQ425/455 DP PA.
by acfarley on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:13 pm
gbam55 wroteThe fix is as specified above - using Activity monitor find and kill the Ucdeamon. It will restart. If everything was correctly in place before the kill, FW connectivity should be reestablished to the mixer.

Best be on 9244 firmware. This is the last stable release.

Does that Ucdeamon need to be killed every time the mixer is in use, or just once and for all?

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I will def revert to 9244 firmware. I may not even have the firewire problem after that. It was working fine until I reacted to the ‘need firmware update’ message on my Presonus account webpage.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by gbam55 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 am
Hi, i can identify when the daemon needs to be killed when I get a studio live old style appearing (not the FW connected RM ) as the image In capture (maybe in S1 too).

The daemon is working correctly after a few moments with this old style image as long as it changes to the new black RM logo. Then you’re in business. All works as it should.

My experience is variable. For the most part no intervention is necessary and then all of a sudden unable to connect. Kill daemon and bob’s your uncle all works again.

Been outstanding for years. Likely to never get fixed.

Hope it works for you
Cheers

by gbam55 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:16 am
Btw, it’s much better for your health to reach for a Beer than get a firmware fix unless it’s been validated by a lot of guys here lol

Cheers

by acfarley on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:13 pm
K, I’m just writing to tell what my experience is. I’ve reverted to 9244 firmware, but nothing changed as far as the Firewire connectivity. After trying all this, I’m about to decide that what has gone wrong is that I’m using a up-to-date Mac OS on a newer MacBook than I was using before. So I’m not getting the same result as I was on the older Mac. The newer OS is fouling things up. I never had ANY of this Firewire connectivity problem at all using the older OS on my older laptop. So that whole thing never came up for me until last week, when I upgraded everything. Anyway, it should be something that could be addressed by Presonus SW engineers.

I killed Ucdeamon but I still get error message in Capture saying the RM32 Ai isn’t connected, even when everything indicates that the Firewire connection is working. Now none of my saved settings are showing. Argh. If my settings are all lost, that’s a real bleep. If they are lost, I may as well do the factory reset and try all over again, I guess.

I’d hoped to do some recording during some free time lately. Now all I’m doing is screwing around just trying to get things to work. Not good. I’m getting pretty frustrated, as I can see, I’m not the only one.

Is it okay to use UC Surface and Capture latest versions with the 9244 firmware? Or should I find earlier versions of those as well?

I’m all frazzled and making bonehead mistakes and not seeing mistakes right away. Doesn’t help that all my settings aren’t available.

Hey! It’s looking good all of a sudden. Definitely have Firewire connected. I got all my settings back when I opened an old Capture session. It changed all the mixer settings to the way I had it set up. So I can at least save those settings again.

Update: well, it seems I have it all working again. So I’ll leave it like it is for now, unless I uncover more problems while recording. Thanks to all for helping me. Um, I’m not at all secure or feeling like I can trust things altogether. I will say, I really love the idea of this RM32 Ai. I like that Presonus built an entire system, hardware and software, to work together. I’m still onboard and hopeful that the company gets things figured out and moves forward into the future and takes ALL of us along to a happy outcome.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by acfarley on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:07 pm
It seems odd that this Ucdeamon glitch just doesn’t get fixed. We all know what it is, and where it is, so what’s the difficulty at Presonus in coding a fix for it? A low-end method might exist. I’m no coder, I’m just mulling this over. Has anyone tried using an Apple Automator script to automate quitting the Ucdeamon? I’m not proficient with that, but I’ll try. Because it’s clear that the Ucdeamon has to be quit or ‘killed’ every time I reboot. I’d like it better if it was automatically done. (So I won’t get emotional having to be reminded of this nonsense over and over and over. Ha!)

Is Ucdeamon something that Presonus installs? Or is it part of the OS? I’m trying to understand.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by gbam55 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 am
acfarley wroteK, I’m just writing to tell what my experience is. I’ve reverted to 9244 firmware, but nothing changed as far as the Firewire connectivity. After trying all this, I’m about to decide that what has gone wrong is that I’m using a up-to-date Mac OS on a newer MacBook than I was using before. So I’m not getting the same result as I was on the older Mac. The newer OS is fouling things up. I never had ANY of this Firewire connectivity problem at all using the older OS on my older laptop. So that whole thing never came up for me until last week, when I upgraded everything. Anyway, it should be something that could be addressed by Presonus SW engineers.

I killed Ucdeamon but I still get error message in Capture saying the RM32 Ai isn’t connected, even when everything indicates that the Firewire connection is working. Now none of my saved settings are showing. Argh. If my settings are all lost, that’s a real bleep. If they are lost, I may as well do the factory reset and try all over again, I guess.

I’d hoped to do some recording during some free time lately. Now all I’m doing is screwing around just trying to get things to work. Not good. I’m getting pretty frustrated, as I can see, I’m not the only one.

Is it okay to use UC Surface and Capture latest versions with the 9244 firmware? Or should I find earlier versions of those as well?

I’m all frazzled and making bonehead mistakes and not seeing mistakes right away. Doesn’t help that all my settings aren’t available.

Hey! It’s looking good all of a sudden. Definitely have Firewire connected. I got all my settings back when I opened an old Capture session. It changed all the mixer settings to the way I had it set up. So I can at least save those settings again.

Update: well, it seems I have it all working again. So I’ll leave it like it is for now, unless I uncover more problems while recording. Thanks to all for helping me. Um, I’m not at all secure or feeling like I can trust things altogether. I will say, I really love the idea of this RM32 Ai. I like that Presonus built an entire system, hardware and software, to work together. I’m still onboard and hopeful that the company gets things figured out and moves forward into the future and takes ALL of us along to a happy outcome.

There are some “new” and obligatory security features in the newer versions of OSX (high Sierra and up) to allow applications to do certain things.

There are posts on this in HS and Mojave topics on the Presonus site. They are one time approvals. Once done, forget.

In your case I was going to suggest removing all your Presonus software. This might seem drastic but it will give you a clean slate to work from.

To always have a bootable workable system I split my HD into 2 bootable partitions and have 2 operating systems and Presonus environments there, one as a test-bed before committing my production environment.

Buying a small SSD on a usb 3 like the Samsung T range, you can actually install a fully working and customised OSX and boot from it incase anything goes wrong in the future. Leaving the drive connected at boot automatically selects the SSD usb as the boot device. This is another way of having multiple boot disks & it’s easy, much easier than partitioning and cheep Ssd 250gb around $100 500gb for 150 and its super fast.

by acfarley on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 am
Has anyone on this thread done all of this stuff in this link? To remove and reinstall all the drivers and prefs?

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... /210046563

I haven’t done this yet. But I’m going to. I’m going to reinstall the latest firmware again too. Because the RM32Ai (and the other RMs) isn’t abandoned, or truly discontinued and seems to me it’s only been reconfigured. I don’t see the problem with the change. Seems like PreSonus has backed off on the push for ‘no console needed’ and gone back to pushing consoles. That’s fine. One can still use the new rack mixers same as we have been using the earlier ones. No console is necessary, unless you want it. I don’t want it. Ha!

I’ll report back here and share my experience with this as I go along. I have a feeling that it’s going to be just fine. Everything’s working right now, only the FireWire connects intermittently on start up. And it seems that if I start up UC Surface see that it’s not connecting to FW and walk away, it will eventually connect to FW without me doing the workaround. I think that if I remove all the drivers and prefs as instructed in that link above, I’ll probs resolve whatever is causing the FW not to connect properly. We shall see.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by stephenbish on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:20 pm
[quote="acfarley"]Has anyone on this thread done all of this stuff in this link? To remove and reinstall all the drivers and prefs?

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... /210046563

Wow that sounds way complicated. I lodged a support ticket yesterday and got a reply this morning, which impressed me. I have sent a requested file (system report) and am awaiting a reply. Might try the "Uninstaller". Have tried reinstalling UC a few times and it will find but not connect to the RM16ai via Firewire. Same result using the iPad app. Mixer seems to be functioning perfectly but is just frozen on whatever settings I used last. Have just tried using it for the first time in over a year. I do suspect it is something about these new Mac OP "permissions" but that way over my head. I'll just have to wait and see. I did manage to find this deamon thing that everyone talks about. Deleted it but it made no difference.

Macbook Pro 2.6GH 16GB Ram
RM16
RME Babyface
by acfarley on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:36 pm
Hi,

Please share your experience getting things to work here on this thread. I’d appreciate it. I’ll do everything in that link I sent and let you know how it went. I’m optimistic but there are a few folks having different experiences. Maybe it’s a glitch with the OS. Maybe it’s some mixed up prefs and/or drivers. I only want the whole system to behave. However, I can make it work one way or the other.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by stephenbish on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 pm
Just an update.
I have managed to get control of the RM16ai with the iPad app and now have everything running through the mixer into my monitors and under control. Just a simple 2 Stereo and 1 Mono input atm for vocals Bass and guitar. Yet to add in V-drums, NI Komplete Kontrol keyboard and Maschine. Current problem is that via Firewire ( which will still not find or connect to the RM) I have audio going into the mixer from my MacBook but no audio getting into the MacBook from the RM. Pretty much tried everything I can think of so now I'm just waiting to hear back from Presonus. I did think to try using Ableton Live but the results were the same as with Studio One. Both software programs find and connect to the RM16 but audio only works in one direction.

RM16
RME Babyface
by acfarley on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:29 pm
Hi,

You are going to have to use Activity Monitor to turn off (kill) UCDeamon. That will allow you to connect to FireWire.

Tomorrow, I’ll try removing and replacing all the PreSonus prefs and drivers and reinstalling the latest apps for the mixer. I’ll let you know if that works. I kinda feel like it will fix this.

Also: the mixer is having the problem, not Studio One or Ableton or any other DAW. Probs best to focus on getting the mixer to connect to FW. Nothing else is going to work right, unless the mixer is connected via FW.

-A.C.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by stephenbish on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:20 pm
Yeah I kind of figured as much. I have successfully reformatted RM to the Firmware everyone recommends, the one ending 44. I was on the ealier one, installed on buying the RM mid 2015. I have seen mention of this "UCDeamon" before but have no idea what it is. I have tried finding it in Activity monitor, clicking on it and shutting it down, assuming this is what people mean by "killing it". Or should I use a bigger hammer? Yet to try that again after Firmware install and will post results. I found a firewire socket in the option card bent back and gently straightened it. Don't know how or when that happened but I'm wondering if that is the cause of my problems. The main problem is that firewire is inputting audio but not outputting it. Maybe something is shorting out in the circuit board as a result even though I can see no physical damage. This is all very frustrating as multitrack recording was my main reason for buying the RM in the first place. I have never used 'AVB' and have little idea what it is. Can't see me ever using Dante but that is likely to be the only replacement card available. (Aust$929) OUCH!!!!!!! The most annoying thing is that everything works except the ONE thing I want it for. It's actually a great mixer with great effects etc. Anyway I'll go try this "Deamon" thing again but doubt very much that it will work for me. Will certainly post if it does.
Last edited by stephenbish on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RM16
RME Babyface
by stephenbish on Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:37 pm
Update: The UCDaemon did allow me to connect UC to the RM and control it from my MacBook but it made no difference to the audio signal flow. Still no audio getting into Studio One. I wish there was some setting I was missing or some such thing but it's looking more and more like the AVB card firewire is faulty. Have seen somewhere that this was a common problem in early RMs. Just can't remember where or the details. I know I'm not the first one to find they have a firewire port bent back in the RM.

RM16
RME Babyface
by acfarley on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 pm
Hi Stephen,

After you kill the UCDeamon, and your mixer and computer are connected by FireWire, check your DAW settings like they outline in these links. Your inputs and outputs may need attention. Mine did.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... to-Mojave-

Another one:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... d-Playback

Also:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... IDI-Setup-

-A.C.
Last edited by acfarley on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.

31 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2