StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I'm very much new to the RM stuff. I'll be honest reading about the some of the never to appear features is quite depressing, but I've not even used my CS18/RM32 yet so I'm not going to get too upset as its definitely a step-up from the 16-4-2 I had (I hope!!)

Anyway I'm planning a small festival later in the year. One main stage and another smaller bar/chill out area. What I want to know is can I put a RM32 around 50 meters away in the chill bar and control what goes on there as a slave whilst having the 'master' RM32 on the main stage?

Also could I route audio from the chill bar onto the main stage between acts? Will the system allow this? I read somewhere they had to be linked by firewire. Is this the case?

I should say also recently purchased the presonus AVB switch, if it makes any difference. The CS 18 and RM seem to pass audio through it fine.

Thanks in advance.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm
No, it's not FireWire. Cascading of RM/RML mixers is done via AVB. 50 meters are no problem, up to 100 meters are said to be possible. Only if you want to do recording, you will need FireWire (on Master RM).

Basically it doesn't really matter, which mixer is Master or Slave and where they are located. AVB cascaded RM mixers become ONE BIG 64 CHANNEL MIXER. Consequently all outputs (mains, auxes) are shared on both RM mixers. If the mixer on main stage is Master, it will use channels 1 to 32. Accordingly for the stage in the bar channels 33 to 64 will be used. You can divide auxes as needed, like 1 to 12 for main stage and 13 to 16 for the second stage. All input channels are available everywhere in the network. I would recommend using a router, because then you mix sound on the second stage via iPad. You will need it...! ;-)

I bet you will enjoy your new equipment. There really are "worlds" between the RM and the "classic" mixers...! But you will need some time to get used to the new mixer AND the controller. Also UC Surface 2.x is a world on its own. Do not start discovering the new world too late.

:thumbup:

Attachments
DSCN7769_800.jpg
CS18AI, AVB switch, router and Alesis iO at FOH and RM32AI with Capture recording on stage. Picture from yesterday.
by edwardralph on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 pm
Ah awesome thanks.

Its such a crazy hi-low when you have new kit. Especially when you have got it on the basis of your previous experience, to then read so many problems, and features that will never happen.

However your posts give me confidence. I have already had the RM, Switch, CS and a laptop with UC on it all playing nicely. I need to find a router/ AP possibly as one unit to allow wireless control. For the bands to control their mixes I was thinking of getting a handful of cheap Asus Zenpad C7s. Or something like that.

As for networking (normal networking) I'm reasonably experienced and oddly this makes the choice of what hardware to use no easier!! I tend to over engineer so for example I was looking at putting a rack pc in the rack with the RM32 at the stage side, with firewire running I'm not sure what software yet (I've not looked at it to record everything) then with a ubiquity router and AP. for control.

And for flexibility (reviews seem ok) using a rack mounted 8ch behringer di800 for line level kit.

On to the most important part of getting used to it. I've kind of setup a 'scene' of a typical setup. I've not really got my head around the effects, but only as I've not got that far yet. I also found an odd bug with the un-mute all button.

I've also just asked a local band if I could setup and do a mix with the to get used to it, also as it happens one of the bands who may be playing later in the year. With all this in mind I hope to create a scene setting for them to make the day much easier.

Am I on the right lines with all this? I hope so!
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:15 pm
It's good that you own the equipment already and that you got it working together already. You will need a router not only for mobile control (tablets, computer, CS) but also for some features based on UCNET like remote control for Capture and Studio One. By default CS and RM will look for dynamic IP addresses, which is at least a good start (up to now I never had the need to change to static addresses). It is recommend to use a dual band router.

If you are planning to use FireWire for control (UC Surface), do not install a version higher than UC 1.8, because with UC 2.x you will see a "lag" in the display. This does NOT affect recording, but display and control. This problem is known for some time already, there is no solution in sight. It makes UC 2.x simply unusable on your computer, but you can use UC Surface 2.x on tablets and mobiles without any problems. The "FireWire lag" deals with computers only.

As you were talking about a second RM mixer (Slave), I would recommend getting a RM32AI, not a RM16AI. The two different models do work together, but in a festival situation it will be more helpful to work with a clear structure of 2x 32 inputs and 16 "merged" network auxes. A RM16AI used as Slave in an AVB network can only give access to network inputs 33 to 48 (16 inputs) and auxes 1 to 8.

The CS/RM equipment is highly developed and an excellent combination. I am using a CS and two RMs since nearly one year now in any possible combination and up to now I have seen not seen any problem. But it takes some time to become familiar with UC Surface AND the way things are done on the CS18AI. You can get lost easily...
by edwardralph on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm
Thanks for all this. Its really helped me. I know ill be back with more questions!!

5 posts
Page 1 of 1