StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
This year I had several concerts like short open air events, where it did not really make sense to set up a computer. But if UC Surface and RTA/Spectograph are a substantial part of your workflow, there is something important missing. So I started thinking how I could bring them back while keeping things as simple as possible. Since some time I have been using "AudioTools" from Studio Six Digital (http://www.studiosixdigital.com) on one of my iPads, which can be expanded and specialized by several modules - like "Smaart Tools" with full RTA and Spectograph.

But how to get audio into the iPad? I still own an old Alesis iO-Dock (first generation), which can feed audio to the iPad and which can also be used as headphone amplifier and line distributor. Only two XLR cables are needed to connect the CS18AI's Monitor Outputs with the iO-Dock's XLR inputs. The Monitor Section of the CS18AI (Solo, Main, Cue/Edit buttons; Phones and Monitor volume) controls all audio being sent from CS/RM to iPad with Audio Tools, allowing detailed analysis of single and multiple audio events. Now I can use Smaart at FOH again and it doesn't need a FireWire connection at all...!

As we all know the headphone amplifier of the CS18AI is not very powerful. The Alesis iO-Dock can be very helpful in this respect because of its built-in amplifier, which is perfect for checking sound events during a concert. Of course the iO-Dock is equipped with a separate volume control. AudioTools also features a two track recorder, so I could do live recordings. For music this is probably no fun, but recording a speech or sermon will work fine - WITHOUT computer...! ;-)

I am happy to see Smaart RTA & Spectograph back again at FOH without any computer involved and I also enjoy the quality of the display. This is "Smaart" as it used to be with PreSonus in the first years. The "split screen" is a very helpful feature, because what you can analyze in RTA what is visualized in Spectograph. Both analyzers show the identical frequency spectrum and a lot of options and tools are available to deliver any information needed.

I should add that in this setup AVB is involved for talkback and music (CD), fed directly into the CS18AI at FOH. RM mixer, AVB switch and router would be located on stage in this setup.

Attachments
DSCN7597_800.jpg
CS18AI and Alesis iO-Dock with Smaart RTA & Spectograph
by gbam55 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm
Thank you for this very interesting article. For me I am almost always multitrack recording so your 2 mixer solution with the main mixer and computer at FOH with the Ca18ai are likely to be more useful to me but I will certainly consider the above solution as an option & may well look out for an iPad interface card on eBay.

Cheers

Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2, 16.0.2 (x2), Studiolive mobile, Mac mini i7 Quad core, 16GB, MacBook Pro 2012 (1T Ssd & with all the Ports you need) Studio One Professionnal. Mélodine editor, Fader Port, StudioLive RM32-AI, CS18-ai, KRK VTX4 monitors and KRK 10s.
KRK 10 3 monitors. Yamaha O1v, KRK rokit 10 3 monitors. RCF 725-II PA and RCF 325 stage monitors. Turbosound TQ425/455 DP PA.
by sjc193 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:44 am
That's pretty cool dude! Nice job!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:08 pm
Just wanted to add a photo from a concert last sunday. The set-up is CS18AI, RM32AI (yes, only one RM mixer!), Alesis iO Dock, MOTU AVB switch and Apple router. I have been working with this configuration in several concerts now and also did some "remote" recording (Mac mini on stage, running Capture). Everything works just fine!

The 1U rack has the AVB switch and the router built-in and is equipped with 3 Neutrik RJ45 Ethercon sockets. Everything is easy and fast to set up and I really enjoy having the Alesis iO Dock at FOH. Its headphone amp is much stronger than the headphone amp of the CS18AI. And the dock has an additional stereo Main Out, which can be used for stereo recordings or any situation, when additional audio is needed at FOH. Why not use 2 of the 16 auxes for a delay line...? Just "solo" the (linked and delayed) auxes and adjust levels via the Monitor volume encoder on the CS18AI.

With the Alesis iO Dock I have UC Surface 2.5.2 and Audio Tools/Smaart Spectrum at hand all the time. The AVB inputs of the CS18AI are used for talkback (AVB 1) and music feed (AVB 3+4), I haven't used the second mic input (AVB 2) in a concert yet.

Since I can use Smaart at FOH without the need to set up a computer, I have to say that a RTA is nice, but it can not really compete with a spectral analyzer. A spectral analyzer is more precise, easier to read and better/more intuitive to "understand". On the other hand the "cursor" of the Smaart RTA is a real helpful feature. The vertical white line indicates the frequency (the small "flag" in the upper part says 410 Hz), the horizontal line the average level. Being able to watch both analyzers doing their job probably is pure luxury... ;-)

Attachments
DSCN7793_800.jpg
by Skip Jones on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:38 pm
So purchase the SMAART product and not expect PreSonus to give it free?

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by wahlerstudios on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:48 am
There is Smaart RTA and Spectra (the stripped-down PreSonus version), but only at the RM rack mixer/stagebox on stage, where nobody can see and use it. Not having FireWire available at FOH is a disastrous weak point of the CS/RM system. Not being able to use (PreSonus-)Smaart at FOH devalues the whole concept. Smaart is "free", but unusable...!

It is possible to bring Smaart/FireWire/Capture/Studio One back to FOH by using a second RM mixer at FOH as Master in an AVB network. This works perfect, but it is not an "elegant" solution. The Alesis iO Dock (or any other product of this kind) allows a control/recording solution WITHOUT FireWire and computer involved. I didn't need to buy the "big" Smaart. I am using an "in-app purchase" of Audio Tools, which costs 50 Euro. It was definitely worth the investment.

The Series III consoles and rack mixers have no Smaart (spectral analyzer) at all.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:46 am
I would like to add a photo showing a detail of the set-up. The Alesis iO Dock gets the CS "Monitor Outputs" left/right audio signals. I could also use XLRf/XLRm cables, as the dock has combi inputs. Audio Tools actually only needs a mono audio feed. The stereo feed is useful for headphone control, delay lines and recording (to iPad or recorder). "Solo" and "Main" are the buttons I use on the CS18AI in order to select and direct the audio source I want to analyze in Smaart and/or check in headphones.

My historic iPad 2 runs UC Surface 2.5.2 with Capture control, and Audio Tools or Smaart Tools. If I don't use Capture for recording, Studio One Remote will be running on the iPad for visual control. The CS18AI switched to DAW mode adds more visual and physical control.

The only thing missing at the moment is "Sync Select". This function is said to be part of the next firmware update. It will round off the visual control perfectly. Select a channel/aux/send/return on the CS18AI and let UC Surface on iPad display the selected channel in "Fat Channel Mode", which allows access to all functions and parameters.

What a dream...!

Attachments
DSCN7795_800.jpg
by paulfinch on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:18 am
Hello WhalerStudios this is a fantastic idea I guess your alesis is Android am I correct?!! You have just solved a problem that has been hounding me!! I guess you could also run this to a laptop with an analyser as well via the headphone socket...?

Would love to discuss more if you can mail me direct?
by wahlerstudios on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 am
No, the Alesis iO Dock 1 is an audio interface for iPad 2, making use of all the features of the iPad connector, like loading while connected. Smaart always needs a physical audio signal, the CS18AI can deliver it via the XLR ports on the back or the headphone out.

"AudioTools" from Studio Six Digital (http://www.studiosixdigital.com) is an iPad App, the special Smaart addition is an In-App purchase (60 Euro).

Hope this helps.
by paulfinch on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:08 am
:D thank you
by gothink1 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:22 am
wahlerstudios wroteNo, the Alesis iO Dock 1 is an audio interface for iPad 2, making use of all the features of the iPad connector, like loading while connected. Smaart always needs a physical audio signal, the CS18AI can deliver it via the XLR ports on the back or the headphone out.

"AudioTools" from Studio Six Digital (http://www.studiosixdigital.com) is an iPad App, the special Smaart addition is an In-App purchase (60 Euro).

Hope this helps.

Can you explain a step by step how you can ring out monitors with this set-up?

I want to know is it possible to actually choose the output going to the ipad from the CS18ai, without affecting the current FOH?

StudioLive AVB 16_32_48 AI Mix System

CS18AI | RM32AI | RM16AI | SW5E Switch
Huawei WS322 5Ghz Router | Static Manual IPs
3x iPad | Mac mini | Apple FW to Thunderbolt Adapter
Mac OSX 10.13.5 High Sierra

Previously owned: SL 16.4.2 | 1818VSL
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 am
With pleasure... ;-)

The Alesis iO Dock with the iPad running Smaart gets audio from the two XLR Monitor Outputs on the back of the CS18AI, which are controlled in the Monitor section of the CS. Solo, Main and Cue are the obvious options, so if you have selected "Solo" as general source and "Solo" on an input or output channel, the selected signal gets displayed in Smaart (RTA and Spectra).

The rest works as normal: Raise the volume of an aux, hear and see the feedback, change PEQ or GEQ... Soloing and changing settings can be done at the same time, the Monitor section of the CS18AI is separated from the mixes.

Unfortunatley this feature is only available in an AVB network. With Dante the CS18AI works only as controller without any audio feature.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1