StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello knowledgable Presonus users!!

I wanted to ask about the rear mix out on the RMai mixers. I am adding a second in ear transmitter to my rack so now I will be forced to make connections in the rear of the rack. I would like to use the D'sub option so I am going to have a custom short XLR to 25 D'sub snake made. My question is:

Can I have a 4 channel snake made, instead of 8, (which will mean that several of the solder cups will remain empty inside the D'sub connector) so that I can still use 4 of my aux outs on the front of the RMai for aux fed subs (occasionally do this)??

The reason I ask is because a 4 channel XLR to D'sub is about $38 ( I only need 4...2 stereo mixes), and an 8 channel is about $75.

Would I cause a problem if all 8 channels weren't wired into the snake...even though the rear of the mixer specifically says "Mix Outputs 1-8...I didn't know if this would cause some kind of wiring issue.

A second question, if I am forced to use an 8-channel snake, can I use the front aux outs even when I have a D'sub cable plugged in? I would make sure to use channel 5-8 for anything I would run from the front as to not feed two separate signals.

Thanks for the help!
-Dylan
by matthewgorman on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:44 am
Not sure of the wiring question. My instinct tells me it wouldn't be a big deal as long as the outs you want to use are wired correctly.

On the second question, you can use a combo of Dsub and front output connections. The dsub is just a mirror of the front outputs, and nothing is deactivated on the front when dsub is connected. Same as the Main outs being mirrored on the SPDIF.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Dcaugust on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 am
Thanks for the reply! Thats good to know that I can use the Dsub and still have access to the front connections. Hopefully someone might reply back with an answer to wiring a Dsub snake with only 4 XLR instead of 8. Thanks again, Matt!
by matthewgorman on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am
No doubt. There are folks much smarter than I lurking these halls.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Scimitar on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 pm
Absolutely no problem to only use 4 of the eight outputs on the Dsub. I have the RM32 and recently made up a daub loom to enable easy connection to IEM's. If you are going to get someone to make one up for you, then simply leave the aux-out channels that will not be connected through the 25 pin DSub with no connection un-soldered. There is a connection diagram / pin-out in the manual.

StudioOne Pro
16.4.2 Classic, FS Mobile, FS Project, Faderports
RM32Ai, RM16Ai, CS18Ai,
328Ai, 315Ai, 18sAi,
by Dcaugust on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 am
Thanks so much!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1