StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Rehearsed Tuesday night, all was well
Got to rehearsal last night, turned on as usual but every setting in UC was gone. Auxes were gone, personal mixes were gone, Trim levels zeroed out, etc

To keep the list short this is what was left:

Channel icons (though the names were replaced by channel numbers)

Yep, that's it.

I reloaded a few different scenes we had saved from recent shows. Same results.

Re-started the RM32 and my mac book separately. Same result.

I'm assuming corruption some how but can anyone firstly tell me where I can re-load my settings if at all possible?

We were set up to do try outs last night and wasted an hour for the first guy. Felt really badly and supremely embarrassed. He agreed to come out another time. The second dude as well.

Gigs coming up Oct 28 and Nov 11 and NOT AT ALL feeling love for this Presonus RM32 and UC

I can't recall what version I'm on but its a year old and had been stable up til now so I didn't bother updating.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Last edited by matty6strings on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

15" MacBook Pro mid 2012, El Capitan, 4gig DDR3 ram, 500 Gig plus External 3 TB HD.
Presonus RM32ai, current Firmware, Current UC, Current Capture
Logic Pro9
Kemper Profiler amp user here!! :)
by wahlerstudios on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 am
Load the "Zero Out" scene and check, if the mixer works. If you haven't stored any scene, there is nothing to recall (except the factory setting). If that doesn't help, do a factory reset with the option card pulled out. And please check, which firmware you are using. Firmware and software must match (to a certain extent).
by matty6strings on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:45 am
Thanks Wahler. As stated, I have been using last years firmware of which I can not recall. I'm at work now. Until last night everything was working great.

And for the record I have saved approx 15 scenes which have been successfully recalled many times.

I guess I'm asking if anyone knows how to restore my system settings from a file in the Macbook. Assuming under Presonus something or other. That stuff is WAY, WAY over my head.

15" MacBook Pro mid 2012, El Capitan, 4gig DDR3 ram, 500 Gig plus External 3 TB HD.
Logic Pro9
by sjc193 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:55 am
So are you saying you tried to load a scene and it didn't load anything? Did you have all of the options turned on when you loaded the scene?

There is a known bug that if you turn off the RM while it is in the middle of an autosave it may currupt the current configuration and the next time you turn it on everything will be zero'd out. But that doesn't mean that loading a scene shouldn't work. Best practice is to wait a good 30 seconds before turning off the RM after making the last change (such as pulling down the main fader) or even better saving your scene before turning off if you need the current config for next time. I have seen this happen first hand with a 16.4.2ai at a church I play at twice in 2-3 years. . .

If you can't even load a scene then you may need to do a full factory reset. try to get your scene to the ipad or computer first, in UC Surface 1.x scene view the are 2 tabs one for mixer (default) and one for local (which is the ipad or computer) get your scenes saved to the local tab first because all scenes saved to mixer are erased with a factory reset.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:14 am
The "systems settings" are being restored by a factory reset and nothing else than a factory reset. This procedure allows you to choose, which version of UC you want to use. There is nothing stored on your Mac, which could somehow "heal" your RM, only scenes and presets can be stored and recalled.
by matty6strings on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 am
sjc193 wroteSo are you saying you tried to load a scene and it didn't load anything? Did you have all of the options turned on when you loaded the scene?

There is a known bug that if you turn off the RM while it is in the middle of an autosave it may currupt the current configuration and the next time you turn it on everything will be zero'd out. But that doesn't mean that loading a scene shouldn't work. Best practice is to wait a good 30 seconds before turning off the RM after making the last change (such as pulling down the main fader) or even better saving your scene before turning off if you need the current config for next time. I have seen this happen first hand with a 16.4.2ai at a church I play at twice in 2-3 years. . .

If you can't even load a scene then you may need to do a full factory reset. try to get your scene to the ipad or computer first, in UC Surface 1.x scene view the are 2 tabs one for mixer (default) and one for local (which is the ipad or computer) get your scenes saved to the local tab first because all scenes saved to mixer are erased with a factory reset.

Steve

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! So glad to hear someone else has experienced this first hand. I'm gonna go out on a limb and agree with your power down assessment for now.

I'm headed to the rehearsal space in two hours and will re-test everything again. I'll check to ensure all options are turned on (I believe in permissions, right?)

...at one point last night we all lost our IEM mixes as well. Such a rough evening, thank goodness we weren't live. That thought makes me sick to my stomach.

I noted that the permissions yesterday were completely screwy as well and had to reset those to move on. In a panic I saved that last session scene and fear I may have over written the previous good one we had set up from the day before.

Worst case scenario, I factory reset and start from scratch, pain in the rear but ...first world problem. Life is good albeit a tad frustrating.

Will report back.

Logic Pro9
by matty6strings on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:30 am
wahlerstudios wroteThe "systems settings" are being restored by a factory reset and nothing else than a factory reset. This procedure allows you to choose, which version of UC you want to use. There is nothing stored on your Mac, which could somehow "heal" your RM, only scenes and presets can be stored and recalled.

Yes and that is what I hope to retrieve - the previously stored scenes! Its so weird, all the stored scene names are present where you expect to find them but when loading any of them, everything is zeroed out.

I think I have to investigate what is loading when I recall a scene from the mixer tab, Honestly I have never saved anything to the local tab, THAT ONE IS ON ME! Lesson learned.

Logic Pro9
by wahlerstudios on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:17 pm
Always worth to read:
StudioLiveSoftware_ReferenceManual-EN-V7_29092017, section 5.5 "Scenes and Presets"
https://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-RM32AI
:reading:

It may be that some of the scene filters are deactivated, so there might be some hope. But as UC Surface ALWAYS stores EVERYTHING (not selective!), it looks like your scenes and settings are gone. I keep my scenes on the computer. On the mixer is only stored what I am working on at the moment. Forget the sync feature. It's better to save files/scenes manually and individually, because this allows you to evaluate what to keep and what not.

The problem can be caused by the router. You should check this, too.
by matty6strings on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:43 pm
wahlerstudios wroteAlways worth to read:
StudioLiveSoftware_ReferenceManual-EN-V7_29092017, section 5.5 "Scenes and Presets"
https://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-RM32AI
:reading:

It may be that some of the scene filters are deactivated, so there might be some hope. But as UC Surface ALWAYS stores EVERYTHING (not selective!), it looks like your scenes and settings are gone. I keep my scenes on the computer. On the mixer is only stored what I am working on at the moment. Forget the sync feature. It's better to save files/scenes manually and individually, because this allows you to evaluate what to keep and what not.

The problem can be caused by the router. You should check this, too.

again, THANK YOU!

Router eh? Hmmm, I should have reset that first and then restarted the application. Damn, I was in such a panic with this happening right before tryouts!! Grrrrr

Logic Pro9
by matty6strings on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:57 am
So, I was able to identify the issue with recalling scenes. You guys were bang on with not having my Scen filter selections selected.

Its been so long that I forgot they were even an option as I have ALWAYS had them selected.

The IEM drop out was caused by a poor D-SUB connection from the RM32 to the IEM Transmitters.

I successfully restored a favorite live scene and made some minor tweaks from memory to have it semi set up for next rehearsal.

Also, I have STORED the best scenes to MIXER AND LOCAL.

What caused the issue in the first place? Best possible cause was the shut down procedure. From now on I will close the application and then shut down the mixer.

All appears to be back to normal. Dang user errors. Sheesh

Thanks again you guys, I hope this thread helps someone in a similar situation in the future.

Cheers!

Matty

Logic Pro9
by sjc193 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:41 am
Glad to hear you're back up and running.

We've asked for a software shutdown but I don't think it's possible due to the hardware switch used in the AI series. It's common to pull the Main fader down and then go and turn off the mixer, but these mixers have an autosave that happens any time you make any changes to the mixer (this could include someone using Qmix too) if you shut down in the middle of that autosave it corrupts the current settings and comes back up zero'd out, not fun if it comes unexpectedly a week after you last used it. . . make sure you wait 30 seconds after anyone on any device makes a change before flipping that switch!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by matty6strings on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 am
Done deal, THANKS Steve and Wahler.

MODS!!! Is anyone able to edit my topic header to include RESOLVED! please? I can't seem to edit my post.

tia

Logic Pro9
by matthewgorman on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:28 am
matty6strings wroteDone deal, THANKS Steve and Wahler.

MODS!!! Is anyone able to edit my topic header to include RESOLVED! please? I can't seem to edit my post.

tia

Done. Thanks for closing the loop with the solution.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

13 posts
Page 1 of 1