StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Good morning Presonus users! - kind of a general question here....

Reading the release notes, and the postings here, a good part of us have experienced a lag in UC Surface on FireWire connection when upgrading to 2.x. I don't remember the exact UC Surface version, but in an earlier version, one could have their configure from the RM32AI to the PC with FireWire only. At one UC Surface version upgrade, unless you added a wired network connection along with the FireWire connection, one could not make communication between the RM32AI and the PC.

With that thought process in mind, that's how I now have my configuration setup, both FireWire and wired Network, running UC Surface 1.8 on the PC and 1 of the iPads. No lag to be seen anywhere, woo hoo.

As a test, the lady of the house allowed me to install the newest UC Surface 2.0.1 on her iPad, so I could see if there was any kind of lag happening (so I wouldn't lose 1.8 on my iPad if a lag was happening).
After the newest iPad UC Surface install, I started up the PC, ran UC Surface 1.8 on the PC and the first iPad, along with 2.0.1 UC Surface on her iPad.

Moving sliders on all 3 devices, I did not notice any kind of lag anywhere at all. Moving the sliders on the PC, I could see the same sliders move on both iPads, 1.8 and 2.0.1, both move at the same time, and doing the same on each UC Surface version iPad, no lag on the other iPad or the PC. Everything was moving as I expected to see happen, lag free.

One last test, I had opened/sync'd QMix-UC on my iPhone. And when moving headphone mix sliders around, I also saw no lag on any device with slider movement on the various UC Surface versions. So far so good!!!

So, with all that, questions...

I read in the release notes, it's a FireWire only connection that sees delay in UC Surface. Was there a version of UC Surface that came out that allowed one to go back to FireWire connection only again, after the version that needed FireWire and Network connection to communicate?

Where I am still wired with FireWire and wired Network cable for communication, and UC Surface 2.0.1 installed on one of the iPads, not seeing lag, does that make it safe to upgrade UC Surface to 2.0.1 on the PC as well? Or, is the lag PC based only (where FireWire is involved), not an issue with iPads as they are wireless (no FireWire involved).

I certainly could install UC Surface 2.0.1 on the PC to test this myself, but if the lag happened, then I'd have to uninstall the new and reinstall the old, etc, etc. such difficult work I know, haha. While working the day job, I was hoping to get some thoughts from someone that may have gone thru this testing already.

In essence, where I'm currently using FireWire and wired Network connection between the RM32AI and the PC, is it safe to fully upgrade UC Surface to the newest on the PC, to be lag free, where I'm not seeing any lag on the iPads or QMix-UC.

I'm also reading there's a newer version of UC Surface expected out at the end of April to resolve this lag issue. Is it safer to wait for the new version before upgrading the PC?

Thank you for any thoughts and insite you have experienced.
Last edited by michaelwalter on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreSonus Studio One 6.1.1 Pro-64 Bit
Lenovo ThinkServer TS140, Win 10 64Bit, 28GB RAM, (4) SansDisk 480 SSD
Quad Core-3.20 Gigahertz Intel Xeon E3-1225, (1) SandDisk 240 SSD
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller, Firewire & Ethernet connection
RM32AI, RML16AI, FaderPort, Melodyne Celemony, JBridge, too many VSTs to list
SW5E AVB, iPad 4 x2, Netgear NightHawk AC1900 Router, Avid ElevenRack, ADAT Edit
Coleman LS3 Line Switcher, Goldpoint SA1X Stepped Volume Attenuator, pre Monitor switch
ATC SCM25A PROs 3-Way, Alesis Monitor Ones 2-Way, Avantone MixCubes 1-Way, ISO-PUCK 76's
by wahlerstudios on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am
Thanks for your report. I do experience the same like you. UC 1.8 on computer is just fine as well as UC 2.x on iPad and iPhone. I haven't upgraded to the latest version of UC 2, because it ONLY added compatibilty for the new SL 16.

I don't need any FireWire problem, so as long as I read something like this in the release notes, I stay away from an update:

# Control and metering for mixers connected over firewire exhibits lag

# Restoring a Mixer Backup over Firewire is not possible. Must be done over Network connection

Hopefully the problems with FireWire and Capture (also lagging display) will be solved with the coming update Tuesday next week, but honestly I would be suprised if...
by pattalbot on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 am
I'm employing the workaround where I plug the macbook in via ethernet to get control of the RM in UC2, and then once that is up and running, plugging in firewire (for recording). This eliminates the lag in UC2 as that only occurs over firewire. If for some reason you rescan the network or restart UC, you have to do this again. But it does work until there's an actual fix.
by mwatzal on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:51 pm
After reinstall the UC 1.8 I have the same Problems (Meteringlags and Fader moves delayed) than as UC 2.0. Which Version of UC 1.8 xxx works fine?
Is there something special ? (Installation, Tweaks...?)
by wahlerstudios on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:44 pm
I am using the first version of UC 1.8, but I never had to do a downgrade. Please let us know, if installing UC 1.8.0 could eliminate the lags.
by mwatzal on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 am
One day later.... it works - without any changes.
I think after all changes I never restart the RM32 Mixer. Today I switched the RM on and boot my Macbook and now it works.
I have installed the UC 1.8.0.38751 on a MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz Mid 2009 with 8GB RAM.
The RM Mixer has the latest Firmaware 9244.

The meter of the GATE (Attacktime - open the Gate) works wrong, but this has been wrong in all versions.

In the new UC 2.0.2 the Smaart Room Analyser is shown now at the Ipad. Somebody know if the RTA and the Spect-Analyser in the EQ Window comes to the iPad too... in future ?
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:35 am
This is good news, thanks for sharing! You are right, from the big list only "Smaart Wizard Go Remote" made it, but " Smaart RTA and Spectrograph on network clients" is not forgotten...

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=133950#p133950

7 posts
Page 1 of 1