StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I heard rumours of a headphone mixing system that might be coming out from Presonus.
I'd love to get this.. and I can hold on, but I'm ready to purchase the Behringer P16 system. I'd much rather a Presonus system to go with my RM32AI

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to when this might be appearing? It'll work so much better with my RM32AI than the Behringer system.

Thanks!
by wahlerstudios on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 am
Sorry for bringing you bad news: The "personal mixers" are part of the ecosystem of the StudioLive series III mixers, using AVB 2nd generation, which is not compatible to the AVB used with the AI mixers. You simply will not be able to use the PreSonus AVIOM clones with the AI boards.

Are you using UC Surface 2.0 already? Escpecially "sends view mode" with the long faders...? PreSonus has added very nice features which makes monitor mixing more intuitive and better to understand.
by brentchaisson on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 pm
Thanks for letting me know! Yes, love using the UC surface with the RM32AI..
I could go the Q mix so that everyone can control mixes, but what if someone doesn't have an iPhone, wifi boots people off, etc?
I really people to be able to control their own mix in studio.. perhaps I'll go with the Behringer set up then.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:42 pm
I do agree that the AVIOM mixers and their clones are very helpful in a studio situation. Just the problem is how to feed the signals into the "system". All these mixing solutions are following their own approach - they are not compatible. With the RM mixers and the option to use mix outputs as monitor mixes or subgroups, it will be easy to bring 32 channels down to 16 mixes to feed your P16 system. But is that really more than the PreSonus products can offer...? I don't think so. PreSonus was the company which brought remote control to the musicians and this concept is still superior over any kind of "premixed" solution.

In a studio you should not have any WLAN problems and I don't think that everybody needs to have own control. Very often one or two (old) iPads in reach are enough for the minor changes, that need to be done. Nobody needs to tweak his mix all the time. Adjust the basic settings, play, make some corrections - normally then everything is fine for the whole day and all the time there is a sound engineer or producer around who has an eye (or ear...) on what the musicians hear or should hear and who is also able to adjust things FOR the musicians. I'm not involved in "normal" studio work, but live gigs and I consider one thing as very important: You always need to care for "musical connectivity" of the people involved! Therefore I follow continously how musicians and singers design their hearing situation and if I see something is going into a wrong direction (e.g. singer obiously hears his voice much too loud), I talk to the person and try to get things into a good balance again.

Therefore I would always prefer a flexible and open communication system over a single and potentially isolating solution. PreSonus has introduced the HP2 personal monitoring system, which I think is a perfect "add-on" to the RM mixers. In combination with UC Surface 2.0 this is an good-sounding, effective and very affordable solution for studio and stage situations, as probably any kind of headphone-amp solution will be. A solution like this allows the mix of 32 or even 64 input channels plus talkback - a luxury for many studios...

4 posts
Page 1 of 1