StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello All, Just checking to see if anyone else is or has ran into this issue before. Boot up console everything is working fine both MAC connected firewire & IOS devices connected wireless. Then at some point, either after sound check or when the band takes a break I lose connection with the console both firewire and wireless. I don't lose audio, just control of the console. I have been having to reboot console to regain connection. Thanks
by BoogieB on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 pm
Sorry.... This is on a RM32AI
by ilmarmadison on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 pm
Hello,
Actually i had yesterday same problem, I work with PC on windows 7. I made day before a new surface update and yesterday in some point i pad threw me out of the program, after that i noticed that pc surface what is connected via firewire was also frozen. Helped only RM32AI ON/OFF button.
Strange, what happens then if this frozen happens in the show time.
by wahlerstudios on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:56 pm
All communication goes through the option card, so you should check, if the card is sitting correctly and if the connectors are ok (e.g. FireWire ports can get pushed inside). FireWire cables can be faulty, so try another one. If you are using FireWire adaptors (e.g. 400 to 800), replace them by a cable. Also check your ethernet cables.

Then you should check if you are using matching versions of firmware and software. You find the information in your PreSonus account or on the dowload page in "Support".

If this doesn't help you should do a factory reset with the option card pulled out. The renews any setting of the board, but also deletes any setting (presets, scenes). Save them to UC Surface on your computer before you do the reset.

Hope this helps.
by Weddingsinger on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:17 pm
I had the same problem with my RM32ai. Presonus was not able to figure it out, so I got my retailer (Sweetwater) involved. They swapped it out with an RML32ai, and the issue continued. I replaced every cable, did factory reset, to no avail. At some point I replaced my router (Apple Airport Extreme) and my UPS, and I have not had the issues since.

There is an older thread with this topic. Maybe it will lead somewhere. viewtopic.php?f=222&t=18033

Ted
by ilmarmadison on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:50 am
OHH, please dont start again this firewire option card talk. I hav been work every presonus mixer since first 16.4.2 came out. I now all those problems.with ricog 400 and cabels and so on....
Yes i have the latest wirmware in my mixer and best option card.
Eerything works just fine until i but new surface on my pc. Before that was everything ok.
Right now i let the mixer and ipad work all day ( 7 hours) and so far is all working.
i dont know whats yesterday happens, maybe craches then if i put ipad the sync mone active? I dont remeber
My church has an RM32ai that is having a very similar problem. Things startup and we can get to the mixer on both the computer and the ipads, but something flips out in the option card disconnecting everything. Meanwhile the board keeps churning along just without controls. Something that also seems to happen is that all the buttons on the front of the RM stop working.

It may have been coincidence, but this seemed to happen as temperatures would rise or even a little bit of warmer air was pushed into the sound booth where the board was being used. Since we started remodeling our sanctuary we haven't had any heat in the building other than space heaters, and we've still had this problem. The thought for us right now is that a component on the option card is overheating, we've been using a fan to blow air across the back of the RM even with it 50 deg F in the sanctuary . This has seemingly prevented any more failures, but makes me scratch my head wondering how long that will work.

Just throwing all that out there to say, we're seeing a similar problem and to add another tick mark to the number of people/groups seeing this problem.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:44 pm
Why not taking the option card out to have a look? It may well be that a FireWire port has got pushed inside. You will see that right away. There was a problem with some of the option cards. This needs to be repaired as soon as possible to prevent damage. A not completely fixed card can also cause problems. Generally and under normal conditions the RM mixers have no heating problem.

Disconnecting ususally means a problem with cables (Ethernet, FireWire) or network (router). Also a mismatch of firmware and software can cause problems as well as failed firmware upgrades.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1