StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I understand that there is a firewire port for connecting a computer. That is aside of the surface. So, do I still need my desktop with recording drives? Is this correct? I would have liked to record to a surface like this: http://tinyurl.com/nwvw3wy. This one has a 5400rpm 1TB drive. Would that even work? It does not appear to have a firewire port though.

If necessary, I will keep the desktop computer in my rack. It's just a bit*h to lug in and out of the rack to perform mixdown at home.

Anybody else have recording questions?

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer
by mwright137 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:26 am
At launch you will only be able to record via FireWire. Future firmware releases will add the ability to record via AVB. Future firmware and hardware releases (expansion cards) will allow for recording via Dante and Thunderbolt.

So you may have to start with your desktop, but eventually you could leave it at home...

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by Dale Christenson on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 am
What a quick reply. Thanks.

Now, how do the above named interfaces work with this mixer? I am not familiar with these. Are there some resources to learn more about them?

Sound 4-U! reinforcement and mobile recording serving Tulsa and surrounding areas.
Dale Christenson

StudioLive RM32ai
StudioLive RML32ai
CS18ai
MOTU AVB switch
ULT15 x6
ULT18 x2
SL AI328 speakers x4
StudioLive 16.4.2 classic
Windows 8.1 SSD computer with UC Surface, Capture2, and StudioOne2 Producer
by matthewgorman on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 am
Dale Christenson wroteWhat a quick reply. Thanks.

Now, how do the above named interfaces work with this mixer? I am not familiar with these. Are there some resources to learn more about them?

If you are referring to Dante and AVB? Plenty of resources. I would either google both, or if you have a go to pro sound website or something like that, there will probably be information there.

Both protocols are ethernet based connections, and allow for full system networked integration, including stage boxes, consoles, monitoring, and speakers.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by salvadoredelle on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am
not to hijack you post but in a related question on systems integration.... what about having that surface controller running the Smaart software? will it be able to do it? And can/will it be able to run that surface or any other and a PC/MAC for recording and smart etc at the same time...???
what would have been ultimately cool on these RM is to have a hotrod CPU built in and just have to connect a controller and hard drives for recording.

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by mwright137 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:23 pm
salvadoredelle wrotewhat about having that surface controller running the Smaart software? will it be able to do it?

Smaart uses the audio signal, so my initial guess would be no. But I've been wrong before.
salvadoredelle wroteAnd can/will it be able to run that surface or any other and a PC/MAC for recording and smart etc at the same time...???

You will be able to run two computers at the same time - one for control and one for recording. That was the scenario that the product manager (Ray) said he uses in his studio at home.

StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by PreSonuSupt2 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:13 pm
Smaart as we know it will not be on the initial releases of the software but it is currently planned for later implementation.

It has been tested with Smaart 7 from Rational Acoustics and it functions well. Also, since AVB and Dante are merely audio protocols then it should function through them as well. Rational Acoustics has tested Smaart 7 to be able to use Dante and AVB protocol is still pending testing but it should work brilliantly.

Hope that answers your questions.
by randallsmith on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:27 pm
does any one know the frequency response of the mix outputs on the rm 32 ai
by PreSonuSupt2 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 pm
Can you be a bit more specific Randall? The frequency response will generally be whatever you tailor it to be.
by mwright137 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 pm
I'm guessing he wants the "20-20kHz response" answer. Not sure what it is, but I'm sure it's close to that. Of course, frequency response changes depending on the impedance is of devices you connect, so those numbers are never really accurate anyway...

My Website
by PreSonuSupt2 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 pm
That's kind of what I was thinking too but I want to make sure I can get him the definite answer. If there is one.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1