StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,

You think i can use this cable from RM to FOH PC?

https://www.1394store.com/eshop/product.asp?dept_id=66&pf_id=1661

Thanks
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:42 am
From what I know it should work, but I'm not sure about the screw locks. Probably the screws have to be taken away.

Here is an alternative (25 meters), but the cable is not as flexible: https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/firewire-c452/25m-premium-firewire-800-cable-9-pin-beta-male-to-9-pin-beta-male-p1759. I just don't find any information if this cable is bilinugal. Lindy cables are available world wide.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:03 am
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=127446#p127446

A long FireWire cable could be a solution, but much better would be something like this. AVB transports all (!) signals, it just needs a "converter" to make the signals available for FireWire. This little box would be very useful for RM and CS users.
by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:20 am
moshenuri wroteHi,

You think i can use this cable from RM to FOH PC?

https://www.1394store.com/eshop/product.asp?dept_id=66&pf_id=1661

Thanks

From everything I have read over the years, 10m is the supported limit. However, I can't say for sure what would happen when you go to 40m, and the fact that this cable converts to coax, then converts back adds another layer of difficulty.

The product states it is primarily for use in automotive. Clocking, syncing, and streaming multitrack audio is a totally different application. I would personally avoid it, but if they have a good return policy, it may not be too painful to try it out for yourself.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by moshenuri on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:50 am
Thank's
by SwitchBack on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:08 am
And let us know how it worked out! :)
by robcull on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:19 pm
Has anyone managed to connect an RM16/32 ai via a longer firewire cable to their Mac?

We want to link from on studio room to a control room via 9 pin ieee 1394.. we bought a Lindy 20m and the Mac just couldn't recognise it in Logic... but did with the supplied 1.5m cable of course

Any ideas????
by wahlerstudios on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:21 pm
Your test shows that length is the criteria for FireWire cables. It is said that up to 10 meters (maybe 15 meters) should work. 20 meters seems to be too long. But this doesn't answer your question, which actually should be: "How to prevent long FireWire cables?"

I understand that you want to use your RM mixer as interface to record on your Mac. Why don't you leave the RM mixer in the control room and use traditional sub-snakes to connect all inputs and outputs needed in the recording room? There is nothing I can imagine that would really make it necessary to have the RM mixer in the recording room. There is Remote Control (UC Surface) for anything the RM does and there is Remote Control for Studio One, which makes the use of hardware and software extremly flexible and versatile. You can even control plug-ins via "Studio One Remote" and UCNET.

Another good idea is to involve a CS18AI. It has a full DAW integration (Studio One only) and just needs a CAT5e cable and AVB to be full functional wherever it is placed. You can use it for recording, for mixing, for monitoring... The combination of RM32AI and CS18AI has a lot of potential especially for studio work, if the CS18AI is not seen as replacement for a traditional studio mixer. It's much more...! You own a copy of Studio One already, so why not involving it? You can do the mixing in any other DAW. Studio One and RM/CS can be your "recording team".

If you don't want to use "copper", CAT5 boxes are a very good alternative. Four XLR signals (mic/line) can be sent through one CAT5 cable. These systems are really worth their money.
by philmoakes on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:19 pm
I tried a 10 metre firewire cable and whilst it seemed to work initially I experienced occasional hangs and loss of connection, which in a live event, isn't great news. In the end I went back to a standard length short firewire cable and have had no problems since.

CS18, RM32, RM32, HP4, ERIS 5, MOTU AVB SWITCH

9 posts
Page 1 of 1