StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
17 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm building a rig for our five-piece band and am pretty much settled on the RM16AI, partly because of the iOS app for the band to run their own monitor mixes. I'm looking at a wireless system for in-ear monitors too and need one transmitter per monitor mix as far as I can tell - I'm quite new to this so there's a bit of a learning curve here! Have I got that right? And, if so, would the Presonus software still work for the musicians to mix their monitor over iOS? If so, I'd be looking at five wireless transmitters, which would be way over budget for me.

Has anyone got a good solution for this?

Windows 10 Professional x64 | Intel Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill RipjawsV 2666Mhz
Studio One Pro 4.6.1 | StudioLive 16 Series III v1.9.14636
by matthewgorman on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 am
The IOS apps work as control for the AUX mixes. The Aux mixes are what you will use for monitor mixes, so regardless of the monitoring solution, it won't affect the IOS apps. Even in an environment with multiple transmitters, or single transmitters, the IEM will take its signal from the Aux out.

As far as what you need, I can't really recommend any hardware, as I don't use IEM's, but plenty here do. I will say that for a 5 piece band, you will have some decisions to make. If you want stereo in ears, you only have the auxes for 4 separate monitor mixes. Someone will be sharing a mix. Or you would have 5 mono mixes if everyone needs their own. Just something to keep in mind when sourcing out your IEM hardware.

Good luck.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by bubbaguth on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:57 am
One way to save money is to run mono mixes and use the pan function (L/R) on the ear transmitters effectively buying you two mixes out of one unit. However, nothing is ultimately "free" and you will need to decide if this will work for you. Some don't like mono mixes and others are just fine with it. Also, it can make troubleshooting more difficult and the operation can be confusing to some because there is more to go wrong when buttons and knobs get accidentally pushed and turned.

However, with the RM16 you will need to run at least two mono mixes anyway since you are limited by the 8 auxes/subs (up to 3 stereo and 2 mono mixes) if you need 5 ear mixes. So you can accomplish that by running a dedicated unit in mono or run a unit stereo and pan mixes as stated above. Also realize that this leaves virtually no room for sub groups either (if those are important to you).

Personally, I get concerned when my initial configuration/plan maxes out the solution. Things always change and leaving yourself no breathing room can make you wish you would of stepped up. Whatever way you go, the iOS app will run just fine for whatever configuration you decide to go with.

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by wahlerstudios on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:04 am
You still can use mixes 9 to 16 as subgroups...
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:18 am
And make absolutely sure that all 5 band members must have wireless IEMs. You'll save a nice penny now and on batteries later for every one of them (drums, keys, ...) who can be on wired IEMs instead. And there are also solutions where wired IEM is combined with a guitar tether. Just saying...

With wireless IEMs all systems I know are one transmitter for every receiver or maybe two receivers. Yes, expensive.
by camscampbell on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 pm
Thanks for the speedy responses!

matthewgorman wroteIf you want stereo in ears, you only have the auxes for 4 separate monitor mixes. Someone will be sharing a mix. Or you would have 5 mono mixes if everyone needs their own. Just something to keep in mind when sourcing out your IEM hardware.

I hadn't thought of that. I guess mono mixes would do, but I'd rather spend once, you know? So in that sense, maybe the RM32Ai would make more sense.

bubbaguth wrotePersonally, I get concerned when my initial configuration/plan maxes out the solution. Things always change and leaving yourself no breathing room can make you wish you would of stepped up.

Yes, exactly that. I was considering only the input channels when I looked at the RM16Ai, but was thinking about the 32 so I could make myself available to run sound for other shows and recoup some expenses. This monitoring issue is another reason to go for the bigger model.

SwitchBack wroteAnd make absolutely sure that all 5 band members must have wireless IEMs. You'll save a nice penny now and on batteries later for every one of them (drums, keys, ...) who can be on wired IEMs instead. And there are also solutions where wired IEM is combined with a guitar tether. Just saying...

With wireless IEMs all systems I know are one transmitter for every receiver or maybe two receivers. Yes, expensive.

Actually, now that you mention it, wireless isn't really a requirement for any of us. I suppose I'd need more cabling for a wired system to run from the mixer to headphone amps for each musician, but it would still a lot less than even four wireless transmitters and body packs. That would give me a bit more of a budget to allow me to expand from the 16Ai to the 32. I wouldn't need a heaphone mixer, right, because the iOS app would let musicians do personal mixes?

You mentioned a solution where wired IEMs combine with guitar tethers - have you any suggestions of such a thing? That could be interesting!

I also need to consider what to put the thing in. The beauty of the 16ai was that I could put it in a 4U Gator case with a laptop slot on the top and have 1U spare for a power conditioner. Oh well, I guess there will be other solutions out there!

Windows 10 Professional x64 | Intel Core i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 G.Skill RipjawsV 2666Mhz
by bubbaguth on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:07 pm
You still can use mixes 9 to 16 as subgroups...

Interesting- didn't know that :oops:

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:28 pm
camscampbell wroteActually, now that you mention it, wireless isn't really a requirement for any of us. I suppose I'd need more cabling for a wired system to run from the mixer to headphone amps for each musician, but it would still a lot less than even four wireless transmitters and body packs. That would give me a bit more of a budget to allow me to expand from the 16Ai to the 32. I wouldn't need a heaphone mixer, right, because the iOS app would let musicians do personal mixes?

You mentioned a solution where wired IEMs combine with guitar tethers - have you any suggestions of such a thing? That could be interesting!

I also need to consider what to put the thing in. The beauty of the 16ai was that I could put it in a 4U Gator case with a laptop slot on the top and have 1U spare for a power conditioner. Oh well, I guess there will be other solutions out there!
You still need a headphone amp for every IEM. Some ear buds sort of work straight from the aux outputs but I wouldn't recommend it. The HP60 is a neat rackable solution. And you can wire it up from the back (from the RM16's DB25 connector) for a clean rack.

For a combined tether here's an example (first Google hit I got). You can feed the buds straight from the connector or thru a passive belt volume control (again, first hit) for close at hand level control. 'Wheel of Me' is nice but in the midst of things the trim on the belt is quicker.
by matthewgorman on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:16 am
These little guys are pretty bad a$$.

http://www.presonus.com/products/HP2

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by roblof on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:41 am
matthewgorman wroteThese little guys are pretty bad a$$.

http://www.presonus.com/products/HP2

I'm not a big fan of that small mini-xlr that can easily break. Since this mini-xlr to xlr breakout cable isn't a common item you need to make sure that you buy a couple of spares.

Btw, I'm unable to find replacement breakout cables from the retailers...?

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:31 am
I don't like the need of batteries or external power supply for beltpacks like the PreSonus HP2. As SwitchBack wrote, the combination of passive belt volume controllers in connection with a 19" headphone amplifier is much easier to handle and it also needs less cables (only one cable per belt pack instead of two). I use "Fischer Amps Mini Body Packs" (http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitoring/mini-body-pack-xlr-oder-klinken-eingang/browse/1/artikel/ab-sofort-lieferbar/17.html) with jack connector (the XLR is mono). The only thing to consider is that the jack of the cable plugged in MUST be Neutrik. Only Neutrik to Neutrik guarantees a solid connection. If the cable is long enough, the musicians/singers can literally run across the stage and the audio connection is not interupted or disturbed. The Fischer Amps belt packs are rock solid professional equipment!

Actually I am using long & cheap chinese cables with the stereo jacks on the beltpack side replaced by a Neutrik jack. This works perfect. It's a "set & forget" thing. By the way: the weight of the HP2 is 450 gram, the Fischer Amps belt pack is 85 gram. Musicians and singers like the lighter weight and the smaller size...!
by SwitchBack on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:06 pm
AFAIK the Fisher XLR packs are stereo too. Advantage is that you can use standard XLR cables with them (provided they are decent quality). I'm always trying too keep the adapter box shut ;)
by camscampbell on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:26 am
wahlerstudios wroteI don't like the need of batteries or external power supply for beltpacks like the PreSonus HP2. As SwitchBack wrote, the combination of passive belt volume controllers in connection with a 19" headphone amplifier is much easier to handle and it also needs less cables (only one cable per belt pack instead of two). I use "Fischer Amps Mini Body Packs" (http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-monitoring/mini-body-pack-xlr-oder-klinken-eingang/browse/1/artikel/ab-sofort-lieferbar/17.html) with jack connector (the XLR is mono). The only thing to consider is that the jack of the cable plugged in MUST be Neutrik. Only Neutrik to Neutrik guarantees a solid connection. If the cable is long enough, the musicians/singers can literally run across the stage and the audio connection is not interupted or disturbed. The Fischer Amps belt packs are rock solid professional equipment!

Actually I am using long & cheap chinese cables with the stereo jacks on the beltpack side replaced by a Neutrik jack. This works perfect. It's a "set & forget" thing. By the way: the weight of the HP2 is 450 gram, the Fischer Amps belt pack is 85 gram. Musicians and singers like the lighter weight and the smaller size...!

Those Fischer amps look neat. I'll definitely look into that. Thank you.

by SwitchBack on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:00 am
camscampbell wroteThose Fischer amps look neat. I'll definitely look into that. Thank you.
Just to make sure: the belt packs are not headphone amps. They're merely attenuators. You still need headphone amps (in your rack).
by Friedhelm on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:54 pm
there is a way to get 5 stereo auxes out of the RM16: simply assign the headphone out to, lets say, 9/10, that works great! so it is not needed to waste any of the eight AUX outputs and get an additional stereo Out. :thumbup:

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon
by Sing4LTS on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:01 am
Friedhelm wrotethere is a way to get 5 stereo auxes out of the RM16: simply assign the headphone out to, lets say, 9/10, that works great! so it is not needed to waste any of the eight AUX outputs and get an additional stereo Out. :thumbup:

how would you go about routing the headphones to 9/10?
by Friedhelm on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:00 am
Go to settings menu, put the headphone monitor button to "cue" (or do this on your rackmixer beside the headphone jack),
then set the cue source to Mix 9/10, and there you go!

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon

17 posts
Page 1 of 1