StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
169 postsPage 6 of 9
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
If they could make a new AVB product compatible with the old ones they would have done it with the new SL series.
The reality is they don't code the AVB themselves, it's farmed out to 3rd party and the one that did the original AVB stopped doing it and won't release the code.
AVB is not a "standard", it's just a way defined way of sending audio/video packets over ethernet using proprietary clocking. What those packets contain and how the data is formatted and used is proprietary to each vendor.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by matthewseymour on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 am
That's true... though AVB absolutely is a standard. It's an IEEE standard, which is one thing Dante is not - though it is built out of a few of them. The problem with standards is they can be implemented in different ways in the early days, there's usually sufficient ambiguity that the early implementations can be said to be standards compliant whilst not actually being compatible with each other. The other problem is AVB consists of various parts and not all are necessarily implemented by everyone.

I tend to prefer open standards to proprietary offerings but AVB is so far behind, needs magic switches and doesn't work in Windows. In it's current guise it's basically dead. I don't understand why Presonus haven't just ditched it entirely in favour of a dante card slot in the new mixers.
by mwatzal on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:24 am
@Ray....We had originally planned to release this firmware in April but ran into some technical issues that have delayed the release. We're currently expecting to have it in Public Beta in June with a full release in July.

Something news about this planned update?
by mediafact on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:52 pm
I think we are being left behind in lieu of the series 3 mixers. As a company you should at least still have a team available to your other product lines. Really worried that we bought legacy equipment without support/firmware updates from the company.
by gppresonus on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:06 am
Hi Guys
Presonus have pointed RM mixers are not legacy products - the RML series is still on sale and I think shares firmware with RM mixers. Users are not requesting product upgrades, simply waiting (some for years!) for Presonus to deliver features promised at point of sale, and restated in thread started by Ray last December and since! As we approach the anniversary of the last Firmware release I hope we have some positive news soon, before this does become a legacy product!
"@Ray....We had originally planned to release this firmware in April but ran into some technical issues that have delayed the release. We're currently expecting to have it in Public Beta in June with a full release in July"
by asikkema on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 am
Could really use the update soon now... Midi would be nice, for install purposes.
by mush1973 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:26 pm
The lack of a fully functioning Midi I/O on RML 16AI nearly 1 year after I upgraded from a (fully functioning) StudioLive 16.0.2 is a poor reflection on Presonus. The Midi I/O is a key item to getting the best from this mixer when using it Live.
Any chance Presonus can give us a realistic update. If this update is not going to happen soon then I think I will have no choice but to swap to another brand with proper support for their hardware.

Come on Presonus step up!
by wahlerstudios on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:53 pm
In the first post of this thread Ray Tantzen wrote about the MIDI implementation: " Implementation for this is underway and we expect it in a firmware update in 2017. I'll provide more details and info on availability as we get closer to completion." The year 2017 is still 5 months long, so be patient. The RM32AI rack mixer was introduced on Sept. 1, 2014 (see press release), which is almost 3 years ago now.

:thumbup:
by gppresonus on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:01 am
Has anyone heard anything recently from Ray or Presonus in relation to the long overdue firmware update for RM mixers?
by jashinrodriguez on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 am
I've bought another mixer... from other company, of course.
by mwatzal on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:53 am
it has become very quiet about the update theme and News from Presonus.
I don't know but I fear the hurrican has also met Lousianna.
Hope everybody are OK and someone can give a few informations.

Greetings from Germany
Michael
by christippett on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:05 am
How's the midi going? I can't really fathom why technology from 30 years ago doesn't work with this device... all I need to do is turn the effects on/off with a foot pedal..
by ricdonzell on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:11 am
Well....I can only guess that Presonus has left the RM32 platform in the dust and is obviously no longer supported by the company....shame
by matthewgorman on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 am
ricdonzell wroteWell....I can only guess that Presonus has left the RM32 platform in the dust and is obviously no longer supported by the company....shame

Not true. However, this is a user forum, so if you need input from Presonus I suggest a support ticket.

The AI mixer ecosystem is actively being supported. It remains the only system for applications of higher channel counts than 32 are needed.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by ricdonzell on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:05 pm
Mathew, with all due respect...I've been waiting for a firmware update now for 18 months to repair the bugs for cascading 2 RM's. The last promised update was several months and still nothing. A support ticket will not address the issue.
by bubbaguth on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 pm
I would suggest you join and post your question to the Facebook group: Presonus StudioLive Mixer Users

PreSonus has more visibility there than I have ever seen in these user forums many times to appease the new class of users....so apparently, they feel more obligated (or stuck) than ever.

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by ricdonzell on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:27 pm
I have posted on FB RM user group with no response whatsoever.

Ray started this post in Dec 2016 with promised fixes. We are just about in Oct 2017.

I think a bit of frustration on this entire matter is very justified.
by andyblues on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:27 pm
Hi Raymond...
You wrote:
"...new Series III have a new solution that has all the AVB implementation complete. This is a new solution that wasn't available during the development of the RM/AI mixers."

I suspect that this solution is basically a new AVB chip containing all needed AVB functionality
similar to this chip:
http://www.smart2zero.com/news/ethernet ... stribution

If so, I would suggest that you spend your RM/AI dev hours on an updated AVB option card fitted with the new so called "solution".
You already have working AVB chipset drivers in Series 3 that hopefully can be wrapped/reused.

Happy customer = can swap to new AVB option card for a fair upgrade cost and get full AVB spec on mixer + can send/rec AVB audio to series 3 devices.

My setup motu avb switch, CS18, RML32, RML16 cascaded
by derejetesfaye1 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am
Well said!! However unlike you, I’m regretting my purchase. Always loved PreSonus products. But this one was a deal breaker for me. Why would you advertise what you can’t deliver? I simply took your word and got screwed. Thanks PreSonus :-(
Tonehenge wroteHi Raymond... It's always good to chat with you. 1st of all, I've never regretted the purchase of my RM32ai. It's sonic performance has been exemplary, and my experience in terms of construction and reliability has been that it's bulletproof.

That said, it is disappointing that features promised at the time of purchase will now not be available. I understand the changing landscape of these very exotic technologies, and that your team is wrestling with changes with companies supplying core technology (in this case AVB). Without trying to put too fine a point on it, those issues should not be transferred entirely to the end user. I made a purchase in good faith, with the expectation that features promised and not yet implemented at time of purchase would be implemented shortly thereafter.

I would like to see a program for those of us impaired by this failure.... I would like to trade my AVB/firewire card for the Dante/firewire card. (I would even consider paying something extra for this, given the onerous licensing charges levelled by Audinate.) Then I could go about my business of capturing audio via CAT5e/CAT6 cable as I had intended when I made the purchase, a purchase that was encouraged by a promise of this implementation. You can make good on this promise by doing this. It's that simple.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 pm
DSCN7211_800.jpg
RM mixers and Studio One integration
Regretting my purchase...? Is AVB recording the most important thing? Or Midi? I do know what was promised and never came true and I remember how long we had to wait for some features, but I think there are a lot of people like me, who use the RM/CS stuff every day and are happy with it. Let me show you a picture, taken on Sunday evening shortly before a concert with several choirs and a vocal group. Next to the CS18AI you see Studio One on the computer screen with a plug-in of the "Studio Magic Plug-In Suite" (which I used exclusively for the vocal group). Stage and FOH are part of an AVB network, there is only one CAT5 cable transporting all inputs and outputs to and from stage. The AVB switch and the router are located at FOH, as well as the second RM mixer. My Mac mini is connected via FireWire, which makes all Smaart features available at FOH. I also had an iPad at FOH and another iPad on stage.

What would I need more? The Studio One integration is phantastic; I can use the new Fat Channel with the vintage EQs and compressors, I can use literally any plug-in, I can replace the four FX of the RM mixers with any effect I want, I can use any flex mix for bus processing, I can record up to 64 tracks, I can use the AVB audio features of the CS18AI at FOH or any input and output of the RM mixer at FOH...

No, I do not regret my purchase and I don't need anything "new". There is not much that the Series III products offer more. The DAW button on the CS18AI makes this system unique. The RM mixers and Studio One are well integrated and it is the CS18AI, which brings it all together.

169 postsPage 6 of 9
1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9