StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
31 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
So, this has happened a couple of times now.

I'll be running the unit and lost power, and when power was restored, the unit is dead in the water.

Can't get it to power back up for at least 15 minutes. Just had to wait the first time. We wree moving stuff around on stage and the power cord just got unplugged.

.......the second time I had just ended the gig, and all that was left was some awards and announcements, so I threw up a couple of powered speakers and plugged mic directly into them.

I had another gig afterwards, so I packed up, and kept my fingers crossed. When I got to the next gig, I plugged in and the RM16 powered up WHEW!

What would be preventing the unit from being to be powered back up immediately?
by pattalbot on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:05 pm
By dead in the water...you mean nothing...no lights illuminating at all on the back or front of the RM? And you say you 'had to wait' the first time....what exactly did you do. Just leave the RM unplugged for 15 minutes, or you plugged in, powered on, and waited 15 minutes before it came up?

Can you replicate the behavior at will?
by robertbrady on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:06 pm
Dead in the water meaning nothing - no lights, front or rear.

Just leaving it unplugged (and I mean everything disconnected) and a few attempts to power it back up (while there was dead silence and not too happy audience - we had a DJ going at the time playing thru my system).

After 10-15 minutes of waiting, and then start trying to figure out how to work around it, I plugged it back in and she powered up.

Saturday night was the last gig, so I haven't tried to replicate it, but I will because I have some SMAART to do on my monitors.
by pattalbot on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:15 pm
Brutal...I guess you did the obvious and made sure you didn't have a wonky power cord or outlet you were working with? Do you use a UPS to power the RM?
by robertbrady on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Furman Power Conditioner on top - YES
Driverack PA+ in the middle
RM16AI on bottom

SKB Shallow 8U Case

Tried different power cords BOTH times it happened LOL
by matthewseymour on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:46 am
If a power source and cord that will power something else won't power up the RM without a long wait, you have a faulty unit. There are no circumstances where this would be expected behaviour.

You're lucky it hasn't died altogether. Failures happen. Get it repaired before it seriously lets you down.
by roblof on Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:15 am
The furman does not provide protection from brownouts. It is only a glorified powerstrip...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by pattalbot on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:15 am
I've always had my RM32ai on a UPS since it's basically a little computer. I have Furman conditioners in my rack as well, but there is far too much voodoo going on out there in the land of crummy venue and festival power world to depend on a power strip.
by epeterso on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:22 am
Same here, I have a 1000VA UPS powering my X32 or 16.4.2 and the PC controlling them. I've seen too many PCs end up with scrambled hard drives after power drops.

I also bring 150 feet of #10 extension cord. At our last gig, "Reach The Beach" at Pacific City OR, the DJ power was insufficient and my UPS kicked in and was reading 100V on its display. We grabbed another Honda generator and my heavy duty power cord and then read 120V at the UPS.

RM32AI using FW800 and a 25 foot cable, 24 bit 88.2 kHz.

Home built 4 GHz DAW i-7 3930K 32 GB RAM, Blu Ray burner, all SSD except for RAID drives, three 24" screens at mixing desk, fourth screen in the ISO Booth. This thing screams!

SONAR Platinum with Radikal SAC-2.2 surface, Waves Gold FX, Samplitude Pro X, Melodyne. Magix Video Pro X6, and Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

StudioLive 16.4.2 or X32 Rack for gigs Firewire connected to Sony VAIO all-in-wonder touch screen PC.
by epeterso on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:28 am
Same here, I have a 1000VA UPS powering my X32 or 16.4.2 and the PC controlling them. I've seen too many PCs end up with scrambled hard drives after power drops.

I also bring 150 feet of #10 extension cord. At our last gig, "Reach The Beach" at Pacific City OR, the DJ power was insufficient and my UPS kicked in and was reading 100V on its display. We grabbed another Honda generator and my heavy duty power cord and then read 120V at the UPS.

RM32AI using FW800 and a 25 foot cable, 24 bit 88.2 kHz.

Home built 4 GHz DAW i-7 3930K 32 GB RAM, Blu Ray burner, all SSD except for RAID drives, three 24" screens at mixing desk, fourth screen in the ISO Booth. This thing screams!

SONAR Platinum with Radikal SAC-2.2 surface, Waves Gold FX, Samplitude Pro X, Melodyne. Magix Video Pro X6, and Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

StudioLive 16.4.2 or X32 Rack for gigs Firewire connected to Sony VAIO all-in-wonder touch screen PC.
by robertbrady on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 am
Yep, I'm going to dig out the one I have (used it for my desktop years ago) and replace the battery.

Best safe than sorry.
by robertbrady on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:49 pm
Well, I downloaded and installed the latest firmware update v8591. I started the install process and went to work. Got home.

Turned off the unit, removed the USB drive, slid the card back in and and flipped the power switch.

NOTHING! Dead in the water, no lights, nothing. I felt the heatsink fins on the rear and they seemed warm, but not overly warm in my opinion.

WTH??

SO, I pull the card back out and bleep!! One of the Firewire receptacles is floating around, like it unsoldered itself from the circuit board!!!

Its obvious that the soldering wasn't done properly and this wasn't forced off because all of the tiny conductors are in perfect condition!!!

And the blinkers on my car stopped working today!!! (not related I am sure LOL)

See the pic below:
by pattalbot on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:07 pm
Yikes. That jack 'floating around' in there possibly shorting across connectors...that might be a problem. So...does the RM power up fine without the option card inserted, but not when the option card is inserted?
by robertbrady on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:22 pm
Nope, dead in the water, with or without the card inserted, even after waiting for 30 minutes, and just in case I pointed a small fan at the cooling fins.

I bit the bullet and ordered another one from Sweetwater with overnight shipping (we're splitting the cost of shipping), and their sending me an RMA to ship this one back for repair. 3-5 weeks turnaround time. I have a gig on Saturday and Sunday, and the following weekend an outdoor festival, and my Yamaha MG116cx wouldn't be able to run it all properly.

The only positive note is that the RM's are now scalable, but I don't see any future gigs where I would use more than 16 channels LOL
by matthewseymour on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:46 am
Upside is you'll have a spare. Never hurts to have a spare.
by robertbrady on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:36 am
Spare yes.

Quick Question???

Can I use one as a stage box and run a Cat5 from it to the other RM16 (FOH), and "mirror" them?

Yeah, I know. A VERY expensive "stage snake" (I already have 3 standard stage snakes - 25, 50, 75ft'ers)

In this setup, which RM box would I use for the MAIN OUTS?
by pattalbot on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:27 pm
You would cascade the two RM16ai's via AVB to form a 32 channel mixer. Mix outputs are mirrored on the two RM's. The channels on the RM you setup as master will show up first in UC Surface.
by robertbrady on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:59 pm
So, even cascaded, there would only be 8 AUX outs?
by ronron3 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:15 pm
As far as I know : yes all aux and main are mirrored , no separate patching .You also need a avb switch , direct connection between two RM's causes crackling sound .
by pattalbot on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:47 pm
Correct on all counts. I don't have any experience with the direct connection/crackling, but that's good to know. I plan on cascading two RM32ai's with Dale Christenson later in the fall for a big show, and we wouldn't want any audio goofiness.

ronron...did you buy the MOTU switch? You are having no issues with crackling when cascading RM's? Also, are you using CS18 in the same network?

31 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2