StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
64 postsPage 2 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
Oh man! My worst nightmare, which is why I run custom cable bundles to the back of my rack case, -nothing- plugs into the mixer except my internal wiring harness. The plan is if I pop an Ethercon or FireWire connection on my back panel -then- I open the hood and wire to the mixer directly.

I'm also a degreed Electrical Engineer, so I've seen way too many connectors get stuck or broken.

Having my mixer rack all sealed up (with vents and fans) also has the added benefit of the "help" (friends and family) not unplugging the internals as we break down to go home. I'm also not needing a flashlight or to reach way back into the case.

RM32AI using FW800 and a 25 foot cable, 24 bit 88.2 kHz.

Home built 4 GHz DAW i-7 3930K 32 GB RAM, Blu Ray burner, all SSD except for RAID drives, three 24" screens at mixing desk, fourth screen in the ISO Booth. This thing screams!

SONAR Platinum with Radikal SAC-2.2 surface, Waves Gold FX, Samplitude Pro X, Melodyne. Magix Video Pro X6, and Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

StudioLive 16.4.2 or X32 Rack for gigs Firewire connected to Sony VAIO all-in-wonder touch screen PC.
by southerntrax on Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:57 am
I've been having loss of connection issues for the past few months (since April when running a production gig for a national act). I am using the RM32AI connected to my MacBook Pro via direct FireWire. I am also using an Airport Extreme to connect iPad's (UC Surface) and iPhones (QMix-AI). At some point during our shows (usually about 2 - 3 hours into it), all wireless connections are lost. Our backup plan (direct FireWire connected MacBook Pro) also loses connection making the RM32AI impossible to control.

The front panel of the RM32AI indicates all channels are muted (which they are not), and the blue power light over the dongle is lit. The AirPort Extreme router wifi connection is strong. I tried restarting UC Surface on the MacBook Pro. It recognizes the RM32AI on the UC Surface start screen, but it fails to connect. I've tried independently rebooting the computer and rebooting the iPads and nothing seems to work except rebooting the RM32AI.

At this point, I had not updated to the newest firmware update for the RM32AI as I read the PreSonus forums indicating the Firmware update did not correct this issue.
Then I figured, since I was having issues already, what would it hurt to update firmware (RM32_TC20_9244) and UC Surface software (1.5.1.38092). I followed the instruction page on the Presonus site to update firmware, but I kept getting the Firmware Update Screen indicating I was still using the old firmware version and giving me "Network update failed. Power Cycle the Mixer". Well, I power cycled the mixer and still came up with the same thing.

The I decided to do the firmware recovery method and removed the option card and not use the computer to update (instructions are at: https://answers.presonus.com/1080/studi ... 1080#q1080 ). That seemed to work. Now my firmware on my RM32AI is up to date and my software on my MacBook Pro is up to date.

I've been connected flawlessly for the past 11 hours without interruption.

I hope this helps.
by basmeijer on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:20 am
I feel sorry to hear about you problems. I sincerely hope this will be past tence from now on.

May I point out that the UC Surface that you mentioned in your post is outdated compared to the latest CS firmware.
The newest is 1.8, to avoid Firmware / UC Surface mismatches.
by johnandersen on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:31 am
Hi,
I cannot offer any solutions other than to say that this happened to me a a very large outdoor show as well.
I was running a Mac book via FireWire & an IPad Pro wireless. I had brought my CS18 but just had it standing by.
Sure enough, 3 songs into the set we lost all control.
I'm also the guitarist in the band so this a a problem.
The Mac would not reconnect even when I forced the shut-down, and the RM would not recognize the wireless connect.
I had to stop the show & reboot the RM32 which worked, but was just not OK.
I filed a ticket and had numerous conversations with PreSonus but no answers as to why.
One step I have taken is to remove the WiFi dongle from the CS18 and change the connection status so it is wired via Ethernet only.
I'm still running the IPad wireless.
We have had a number of rehearsals since with no issues, but I have to say I am nervous.
I've updated all the firmware and the IOS.
If anyone comes up with an answer I would love to hear!
Thanks,
John
by robertbrady on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:01 am
I lost connection to my pad yesterday. Twice!

I'm in a small bar doing an all day benefit, not more than 24 ft away, both times. The faders were showing the signals coming into each of the channels, but the sliders had lost all control. I had to reboot the pad to restore control. Fortunately, the RM keeps rolling, so I didn't have to stop the show to reboot.

The one difference in my setup was that although the antenna was outside of the rack, it was pointing horizontal, and I had another rack (I use SKB plastic racks boxes) on top of the rack with the wireless router.

I'll try next weekend to put the rack that has the router on top, and see what happens.....
by basmeijer on Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:13 pm
To minimize the lost (wireless) connection problem it is best to put the WiFi router as high as possible, at all times in a clear line of sight. A wooden panel or curtain do not matter of course.To put this into practice, this can easily be accomplished by putting the router on a mic stand, with the help of some work to make something on the router or installed in a plastic casing with a mic stand connection or Manfrotto Super Clamp or something alike.
Make proper connections that last, a lot depends on well functioning of the router.

Despite when you do all that, you can still experience dropout. I do. Not when I soundcheck and the venue is almost empty, but when all the folks are there with all their smartphones in their pockets.
My theory is that the WiFi get to busy and UC Surface cannot maintain a continuous connection at some point.

It dazzles me why PreSonus did not think of generating crash logs.
Last edited by basmeijer on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by robertbrady on Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:49 pm
I am going to try something by turning off the router broadcast SSID setting. Then, I am assuming if other people's cellphones don't see the SSID, then they won't try connecting to automatically, and hopefully stop any of the router's resources from being drained.
by basmeijer on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:24 pm
Have tried that already, did not make a difference with me regarding the dropoutt frequency.

Aslo mind that the RM cannot connect wirelessly to the router when the SSID is hidden. Perhaps this is changed but in previous firmware this did not work.

In case you would opt to do this, which is definitely not my preference. ;)
by rockhan on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:19 pm
Any updates on this issue? It's starting to happen to me every couple of gigs.
by basmeijer on Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:02 am
I am afraid not. I still have to cope with this problem, once every 3 gigs I would say. Potential places for issues are outdoor gigs or places with a low ceiling. In theatres, even in big 1600 seaters, the wireless connection is usually finel. I am not sure why this is, in outdoor situations there is a clear line of sight as well...
I am a FOH engineer and nowadays I only take an iPad Pro and a CS18AI to control wtih me. I never let musicians control with extra instances of UC surface on their iPads or iPhones, there is not need and I prefer to be in control only to carry the full responsibility over the sound. I usually deal with places of 300+ pair of ears and people are in the end looking at me if something would wrong. I get paid a professional wage and want to keep it that way. So that is the end of the drift-off. :)

It can be quite tricky, when you are in that moment when your are just loosing control from the iPad. You are changing something and ther is no response from the mixer. There is no message on the iPad either that there is no control any more, with in a bad case can result in very audible volume changes when control suddenly kicks in again.

I have the feeling that this is all being said and reported over and over again, we have to wait for software improvements. Even if it would be a hardware cause. the software needs to be in control and it is not at the moment.
by robertbrady on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:54 am
I just had to buy a a new tablet last week and I had the same issue loosing control being a small distance away (50ft), so I know its not the tablet.

But, on the same note, I have been able to maintain control from as far away as 250ft, and not lose control.

So, I am going to replace my router, to see if that changes anything.....
by rockhan on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:30 am
I just replaced my router with a link sys wrt1900acs. I don't think I'm having a router issue because when it freezes I loose the hardwired macbook as well. The board just looses contact with any controller. It keeps doing what is was doing last, which has been a blessing, but I have to reboot to get it back. I'm due to upgrade all the software but it doesn't sound like that'll fix the problem either. I'm also looking into a better power regulator. Perhaps it's the venues that I'm in. Sometimes not trouble at all, sometimes loose control twice in a night.

I also just changed from one laptop to another and the newer laptop is running Sierra I think but no notes from presonus about that being an issue.

There has been some discussion about capture. I'm running capture and universal control on the same machine. If the system fails, I stop running capture but I have no proof that's really doing anything except it usually doesn't fail again that night. Anyway, guess I'll just try doing what I can and hope that it somehow magically goes away.

-----------------------------------------
presonus rm32ai: 1.5.0.7784
apple macbook pro: sierra (firewire connection)
universal control ai: 1.2.1
capture 2: 2.2.0.36497
uc surface for iOS: 1.5
iPad v3 9.2.1
about 9 - 14 iPod touch devices running qmix ai
linksys wrt1900acs
by matthewgorman on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:43 am
I'm due to upgrade all the software but it doesn't sound like that'll fix the problem either.

If the information in your sig is accurate, your software versions are all over the place. It very well could be causing the problem.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by robertbrady on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:00 am
I've never lost control with my laptop when the tablet did.

I always use the laptop and RM hardwired (LAN) to my AVB router, which connects to the wireless router. And I've never had to reboot the laptop.....I suppose I can try just using the laptop wirelessly as an experiment to see if it drops the comm.
by matthewgorman on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:06 am
robertbrady wroteI've never lost control with my laptop when the tablet did.

I always use the laptop and RM hardwired (LAN) to my AVB router, which connects to the wireless router. And I've never had to reboot the laptop.....I suppose I can try just using the laptop wirelessly as an experiment to see if it drops the comm.

Are you also connected via firewire? I normally leave the laptop with the mixer and connected via firewire only during a show. If the network flakes out I always have that as a backup.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by dougwatson on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:09 pm
rockhan wroteI just replaced my router with a link sys wrt1900acs. I don't think I'm having a router issue because when it freezes I loose the hardwired macbook as well. The board just looses contact with any controller. It keeps doing what is was doing last, which has been a blessing, but I have to reboot to get it back. I'm due to upgrade all the software but it doesn't sound like that'll fix the problem either. I'm also looking into a better power regulator. Perhaps it's the venues that I'm in. Sometimes not trouble at all, sometimes loose control twice in a night.

I was having spotty communication issues with my RM where all communication (WiFi, wired and even Firewire) would freeze, but the mixer would usually keep doing the very last thing it was set to. last spring I added a 1U sine wave quality UPS to my rack case. That nearly double the fricking weight, but I haven't had one communication lockup since! It feels to me like the RM was very sensitive to AC line noise which my UPS cleans up.

StudioLive 24.4.2 StudioLive RM32AI MacBookPro OSX 10.8.5 Mac Mini OSX 10.9.5 (In Rack Case with the RM)
by robertbrady on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:52 pm
I got Furman M-8Dx's behind all that low wattage processing equipment (mixer, routers, Driverack, wireless IEM's and mics, etc)
by dougwatson on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:07 am
That's a power condition; kills spikes, surges, etc. It is NOT a UPS. It won't help if the power drops out for a couple of cycles. Now the UPS part gets tricky as you need a SINEWAVE output UPS. I selected a CyberPower PR500LCDRT1U unit. It's rack mounted with my RM32 and the Mac Mini I keep in the case to be the firewire connected computer. Since installing this product I have had ZERO glitches with the RM loosing any connectivity or flaking out, all of which were recurring problems at one venue.

StudioLive 24.4.2 StudioLive RM32AI MacBookPro OSX 10.8.5 Mac Mini OSX 10.9.5 (In Rack Case with the RM)
by robertbrady on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:25 am
@dougwatson - that makes total sense!

Earlier this year I was doing a festival, and the power was from a 100K diesel generator, and I kept having drop out issues, and I was standing less than 30ft away from the router with my tablet!

The gen died the next day, and they had to bring in a new one. One of the band's bass amps literally smoked right after the sound check, and we weren't even playing yet.

Without noticing, I think I didn't have anymore problems after that.
by basmeijer on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:32 pm
Thanks guys,
I was suspecting the mains power to be a possible factor in the chance-for-dropout percentage. When I forgot my UPS this weekend I had a few dropouts, I use to have many dropouts in the past before I used a UPS. However the system is not entirely dropout proof with the use of a UPS, but I have to say that my APC ES-700 UPS produces a modified sine output.
I am very interested in the pure sine one you mentioned, Doug. It is unfortunately not available in Europe. Its price, dimensions, weight and performance are great.

64 postsPage 2 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4