StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
20 posts
Page 1 of 1
Okay, so I picked up an RM16ai. I did this knowing that I would need a computer as I don't have one with thunderbolt or firewire. I know I could have picked up an older one however if I am buying another computer and with intel's skylake being a tock I wanted something unto date.

So I grabbed a Dell XPS 15 9550. This has the thunderbolt 3 (USB type C), this is a full thunderbolt 3 with 40 GB transfer; this is also fully backwards compatible.

Been looking around and my general idea is that I am going to need to do this: Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter > Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter > RM16ai.

This just seems like a lot, but also seems to be the only option.

Just looking for anyone that has had any experience with this and has any recommendations would be welcome!
by dblehman on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:26 pm
I am wondering the same thing. I have a presonus firestudio and just purchased a Asus UX501VW. An older revision had a mini display/thunderbolt 2 port, but I see the newer revision replaces that with a USB c/thunderbolt 3 port. I had planned on using a thunderbolt 2 to firewire adapter, which I have read seems to work. I have not read anything about going thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 to firewire, but in theory it seems it should work. Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt to adapters are now available. Dont love the idea of using 3 adapters but if it works fine i have no problem. Curious if anyone has tried this and had success with an audio interface. Thanks
by Direttafis on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 am
I had a thought... Perhaps a little overkill, but it would also mean one could get their own firewire card instead of the thunderbolt to firewire adapter from apple; which seems to be hit or miss on reviews... And to be honest we all want stability.

Building an external enclosure similar to the eGPU enclosures for gaming. Would give us the ability to pop in whatever firewire card we want. Now this is much more effort and money than wanting to invest. But just a random thought I had.

Something similar to this (of course this is using thunderbolt 2, but is just an example):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... aQodG_EDTg
by seanbrown2 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:07 pm
A Presonus USB 3 option card for the RM would be nice. I wonder if it's even been considered. I wonder how many folks By a competitor's gear just because it has USB

Last year traded up my 3 firepod pod chain for a RM32AI. just added CS18AI And I am LOVING IT!. The Home Studio set up. Home built. Amd fx 8350 8 core 4400 Mhz liquid cooled. Asus M5A99X-EVO R2 MotherBoard, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz Ram, 120 GB Intel SSD , 1TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST NAS HDD, 500 GB Seagate HDD. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, SiiG DP FireWire 800 3 port PCIe card, tripple monitors 27 inch Asus Monitor / 2 24 Asus inch monitors , Studio one 3 pro, RM32Ai firewire to pc, QSC RMX 2450, RMX 1450, RMX 850. Furman RP-8D power conditioner. Audix Microphones. PDP Platinum Series Drums
by Direttafis on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:44 pm
I actually went this route specifically because of firewire. USB 3.0 is faster that firewire 800; however, firewire being a data stream is much more reliable than USB and with live performance reliability is key.

Still hoping to find some good information on this though, I would like to get this system up and running. I am a very patient person if I need to wait for tech release, I just want a confirmation from anyone else that has run a firewire interface using a thunderbolt 3 port with the appropriate adapters.
by Direttafis on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:49 pm
by seanbrown2 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:22 pm
somehow I don't think having 2 adapters in the line is going to be very reliable . but you never know.

Last year traded up my 3 firepod pod chain for a RM32AI. just added CS18AI And I am LOVING IT!. The Home Studio set up. Home built. Amd fx 8350 8 core 4400 Mhz liquid cooled. Asus M5A99X-EVO R2 MotherBoard, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz Ram, 120 GB Intel SSD , 1TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST NAS HDD, 500 GB Seagate HDD. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, SiiG DP FireWire 800 3 port PCIe card, tripple monitors 27 inch Asus Monitor / 2 24 Asus inch monitors , Studio one 3 pro, RM32Ai firewire to pc, QSC RMX 2450, RMX 1450, RMX 850. Furman RP-8D power conditioner. Audix Microphones. PDP Platinum Series Drums
by Direttafis on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:57 pm
That is one of my main concerns... I just couldn't justify purchasing an outdated computer that didnt use a skylake cpu (this will last a while given they're dumping their "tick tock" theme). My requirements in this purchase was thunderbolt though... Given the mixer purchase.

Perhaps in time more companies will hop on board. Especially Apple if they start thunderbolt 3. Most likely they will, they do not like to be left in the dust on tech... This would soil their fan base. And not having an adapter would further soil their rep for being known for audio/video machines in the professional world.

So one of two thing will inevitably happen. We will see a thunderbolt 3 to firewire or (hope you're listening presonus) we will see a card released for these mixers, auch as the dante card, that supports thunderbolt 3.

In the meantime I need to try the two adapter set up or find another mixer while still in my return period that functions the way I need it to with this thunderbolt 3 interface.
by vampirivan on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:26 am
I have buy too am rm16, but connections really sucks. it's not update.
you can use it with firewire or AVB, if you have the rigth ethernet chipset . others option? an expensive 600bucks cards for Dante. why they don't bring usb3 directly standard on the box? usb3, firewire and ethernet as standards port will be perfect...
by digiphonic on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:18 pm
So I'm in this same group here. I have a RM 32AI and I bought a Dell XPS 15 with the TB3 port. I bought the Apple TB -> FW adapter and waited for the StarTech TB3 -> TB adapter to finally be released. I bought it and it arrived yesterday. I hooked it all up and within Windows under "Control Panel Audio", my computer could actually see the Presonus Audio Device. I opened up UC Surface and that worked like normal, however when I opened up either Studio One or Capture, those programs could see the Presonus mixer over firewire and all the inputs, but I could not get any input signal to come across or be detected.

Am I missing anything? Some setting to turn on/link up/connect the inputs into the recording program?

Any help is appreciated - Thanks
by matthewgorman on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:41 am
digiphonic wroteSo I'm in this same group here. I have a RM 32AI and I bought a Dell XPS 15 with the TB3 port. I bought the Apple TB -> FW adapter and waited for the StarTech TB3 -> TB adapter to finally be released. I bought it and it arrived yesterday. I hooked it all up and within Windows under "Control Panel Audio", my computer could actually see the Presonus Audio Device. I opened up UC Surface and that worked like normal, however when I opened up either Studio One or Capture, those programs could see the Presonus mixer over firewire and all the inputs, but I could not get any input signal to come across or be detected.

Am I missing anything? Some setting to turn on/link up/connect the inputs into the recording program?

Any help is appreciated - Thanks

If the daw can see them, then that should be all you need. When you say there is no signal, how are you coming to that conclusion/ Meaning, where are you looking for the signal?

Are you sure that in S1 or Capture, the proper sound device is selected? At the S1 start page, bottom center is "Configure Audio Devices". Select that and let us know what is there. The mixer shows up in Studio One as Firestudio Device.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Direttafis on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:54 am
Hello!

Glad to hear it is working for you (in a way).

I have the same adapters but moved to the Alienware 17 r3, but it has the same thunderbolt 3 port.

I am having a slightly simular/different problem.

I can use UC Surface via the firewire > Thunderbolt > startech adapter string. Everything works pretty well; though, for some reason the spectrograph and rta work great and other times its almost as though it freezes or moves very slow... The hole graph will kinda be a blob of color with no movement and the rta doesn't do anything. Not sure whats going on there... But everything else works fine via the firewire in UC Surface.

OHCI info says everything is detected, compatible, etc...

The problem:

I cant get studio one to work at all.

I get a failure to initialize message even though it is viewing the mixer as an available audio device. It simply gives a failure to initialize when ever I try to select it. And I have two cards available that are linked to the rm32ai: firestudio and a Studio 192.

I am going to switch over to my computer and try to upload some screen shots in the next post.
by Direttafis on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:22 pm
Okay here is what each screen shot is in order:

1. OHCI info screen shot and view of firewire connection for UC Surface
2. Software version of UC Surface and Firmware on Mixer
3. Spectrograph: it will not do anything until I hover over it with my mouse, the line you see is just to the level of where my cursor was
4. RTA: just a thin blue line at the bottom, does nothing
5. Two different Audio devices available, both associated with the RM32ai (the only audio interface that has ever been plugged into this computer)
6. FireStudio failed to initialize
7. Studio 192 failed to initialize

Note I can still mix everything on UC Surface via firewire and wifi just fine.

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:
by matthewgorman on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:46 pm
Direttafis, couple things I see in your situation. You adapter is reporting as LSI Lucent Agere device. While these chips are on the approved list, over the years they have had spotty performance. Its possible that this could be a culprit.

5. Two different Audio devices available, both associated with the RM32ai (the only audio interface that has ever been plugged into this computer)

Where are you seeing this? In UCS start screen, or Studio One/Capture? Or are you seeing 2 RM mixers. If you see 2 RM mixers in UCS Start, this could be expected if you have 2 connections active (like ethernet and Firewire). If you see 2 devices (RM and 192) as available options in S1/Capture, this is most likely because you installed both drivers with the UCS install. There is an option to de-select the 192 driver when installing UCS.

7. Studio 192 failed to initialize

If you don't have one hooked up, that is why that message is there if you try and select it as a device for recording.

All the other items can most likely be attributed to firewire problem above. Best thing to do in this instance is to uninstall, then re-install UCS. Let us know how you make out after that.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Direttafis on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:00 pm
thank you for the response.

By spotty performance with the " LSI Lucent Agere device".... Is this spotty performance with the audio interface or is this a chip failure issue that needs to be brought up with Dell?

Are there any fixes for this?

This is something that I can research as well.... I am hoping there is a fix as I am outside of my return period. I was waiting for the Startech adapter to be made so I could use this computer with the mixer... But this computers sole purpose in life is to work with this mixer as a DAW... I sold my Asus G75 towards this computer because it didn't have thunderbolt or firewire.... If I spent $1500 on this thing and can't use it there will be some unhappy thoughts.

The reason I went Alienware was for a few reasons:
1. Needed thunderbolt or Firewire
2. quad core i7
3. 17" Monitor
4. Excellent cooling system (the occasional outside show in the middle of summer)
5. Once upon a time before Robbie was born I did enjoy gaming... I didn't want to lose that completely; so some sort of dedicated GPU was a definite requirement

You put those requirements together and you get 2 computers on the market today: Asus G752 and Alienware 17 r3. The Asus had reports of only having a 20Gbps Thunderbolt port and I wanted a guaranteed 40. So with having been a dedicated Asus customer for years I jumped ship and invested in the Alienware.

So hopefully there is some good news you know of or I can find online... This computer lives on the rack in my studio plugged into the RM32ai and its only life ambitions are working with this thing at the moment.

I am seeing the two devices available in the Studio One audio setup screen.
by matthewgorman on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:49 pm
The LSI Lucent is the adapter if im not mistaken, unless the pc has onboard firewire which sounds like it doesnt.

We can most certainly straighten it out, just may take some troubleshooting to do it. None of these machines are as plug and play for audio as we think, and typically need some tweaks here and there.

Start with the reinstall of ucs, and we will go from there.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Direttafis on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:15 am
Hello,

Sorry I haven't replied yet as I have a few other things going on at the moment and the mixer is working wirelessly at the moment.

I did uninstall UC Surface from the hardwired computer.

For future reference as I post there are two computers for this setup:

1. HP Envy x2 (http://store.hp.com/us/en/ContentView?e ... eId=10151&)

this computer is being used for the wireless control of the mixer.

2. Alienware 17 r3 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-17-r3/pd)

This computer is the one that was purchased to record from the mixer as well as sending click tracks to in ear monitors and samples/backing tracks to the mains (the reason its so important that I get it working correctly)

- The adapters being used are:
1. Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464 ... re-adapter)

2. Startech Thunderbolt 3 adapter (https://www.startech.com/Cables/thunder ... BT3TBTADAP)

Edited:

I pulled the mixer gain question out.... going to create a new post to keep things organized and relevant to the topic at hand.
by Direttafis on Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:29 am
Okay,

I reinstalled UC Surface and Studio One. For some reason that reinstall fixed the problem. Not going to complain at all but I would like to narrow down EXACTLY why that solved the problem. What changed between the time I originally installed it and it worked, then it stopped working, then I uninstalled - reinstalled and now it works.... This is info I need to figure out to prevent this from happening when using the setup on stage... You could see where that could be bad news.

Anyways I did a little recording with it and I noticed something. Now keep in mind I am no pro and I was only doing extremely simple 2 track recordings.

I notice heavy audio distortion/fuzzy/gritty audio when I import a wav file, but not everytime. The wav sounds fine when played on the computer but in studio one its pretty bad.

I also notice that a project can sound great. Then I mixdown by selecting/moving the flags at the start and end of the project, and then tell it to export the audio. The only setting I change on the export screen was to export between the flag markers. At this point the exported audio sounds great but when I play the project from within studio one it now has that same distorted audio for some reason. Before mixdown it sounds great, I export, and suddenly it sounds terrible (but the mix down it self sounds good)...

I know it cant be a hardware issue; this computer has enough horsepower to run a galactic space station while at thw sametime computing the meaning of life the universe and everything. (and it doesnt round up either).

Any ideas? Am I making some extremely rookie mistake somewhere in my vastly limited knowledge in recording?
by matthewgorman on Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:55 am
I know it cant be a hardware issue; this computer has enough horsepower to run a galactic space station while at thw sametime computing the meaning of life the universe and everything. (and it doesnt round up either).

Any ideas? Am I making some extremely rookie mistake somewhere in my vastly limited knowledge in recording?

Don't worry about rookie mistakes, we all make/made them. That's how we know how to answer questions a lot of time. However, do not fall in to the trap of thinking PC specs guarantee that there can't be a hardware problem. Horsepower is good, but there are many other variables to successful recording. Anti Virus, wifi, battery optimization (laptop), and background services running can impact your performance. When troubleshooting, don't rule anything out.

I notice heavy audio distortion/fuzzy/gritty audio when I import a wav file, but not everytime. The wav sounds fine when played on the computer but in studio one its pretty bad.

This can happen when using a small buffersize for your interface. Say you have your song set at 16/44.1, and you import a wav file at 24/48, studio one is going to convert that file on the fly to the specs of the song. If you are using a small buffer, that puts a tremendous load on the cpu to convert on the fly, on demand. That may be why you hear it on some, but not all files.

Regarding the re-installation solving the problem, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Sometimes an install just gets jacked up, maybe due to anti virus running, or doing something else when the install is happening. My first installation of S1 and a firestudio tube was awful, and took several days to fix. After reinstalling everything, its been running like a dream 5 years later.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by IndexJazz on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:42 am
Hi - what was the final outcome? I have an XPS 15 9550. My MacBook Pro for my mobile rig died, I was thinking of using the Dell in its place.

Studio 192 / DP88
Studio One 3.3.4, UC 2.0.1.42326
iMac Retina 5k 27" i7 quad 4GHz 32g RAM
OS Sierra 10.12.4

20 posts
Page 1 of 1